-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trip to SA in 2010 on SAA the trip from Dulles/ JFK went nonstop to J-B.The return on SAA stopped at Dakar for fuel and passengers. Guess the prevailing winds are critical.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
GB1

D
D
I definitely agree with Delta Airlines. I am from Texas and have been to Africa several times. Virgin Atlantic was an alright flight besides the fact that there wasn't a direct flight to Joburb. By far Delta flight form Atlanta straight to Joburg was the best option and will be the only way I fly to South Africa.

Cody Phillips
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by rogn
Trip to SA in 2010 on SAA the trip from Dulles/ JFK went nonstop to J-B.The return on SAA stopped at Dakar for fuel and passengers. Guess the prevailing winds are critical.

JNB is a high altitude airport, which means the plane cannot start with a full load of fuel. that's one reason for landing in Dakar. Delta used to land on Isla del Sol but now goes non-stop from Atlanta.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I can't give Delta in Atlanta any attaboys either.
A father son team and I arrived Delta Atlanta from D/FW on July 3. We missed the Joburg flt. because we had to sit in Birmingham and wait out two rainstorms over Atlanta.
July 4 flts. to Joburg only had one seat left and we were flying Business Elite. We set Jr. on with the guns while Sr. and I boarded a flt. to Amsterdam. Upon arrival in Amsterdam we walked down 10 gates and boarded our flt. to Joburg which should have put us only 4 hrs. behind Jr.
Upon arrival in Joburg we find Jr. there but Delta never sent out guns. The next day we flew Joburg to Vic Falls with no guns. A day later we go to Vic Falls to collect the guns but SAA sent them to Livingstone, Zambia at the other end of the Vic Falls bridge and of course we had no permits for Zambia.
We spent the rest of the day wheeling and dealing to get the guns and finally got on with our buffalo hunt. By that time two of us had killed our buffalo with a borrowed camp 375 H&H.
In Atlanta, the morning of July 4 and at the airport, Delta assured us they were looking at our baggage tag numbers on our three cases and would put them on that evenings Joburg flt.
What a giant screw up by both Delta and SAA. Oh...we used part of our 3.5 million Delta miles to fly them Business Elite. They have never bothered to reply to our letter of complaint.
At least they did not screw up the return from Namibia.
It is a big crap shoot any way you do it these days. Flying and flying with firearms is the pits today and I doubt it will get better.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Boy, flew SAA yast year with no problems at all....looking forward to doing it again.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by rogn

JNB is a high altitude airport, which means the plane cannot start with a full load of fuel. that's one reason for landing in Dakar. Delta used to land on Isla del Sol but now goes non-stop from Atlanta.

COOL info Indy... I didn't know that was the reasoning!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,403
Posts18,527,970
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.