Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I never had one of these. I have no idea if this is the real thing or a replica. Either way it is one fine finished rifle. Pics don't do this gun justice. The finish on the butt plate, trigger guard, trap door and receiver is extremely well done. Can someone tell me if this springfield is authentic or a copy? I notice the firing pin and part that the hammer hits upon firing seems to have a broken spring or something. I didn't take pics of entire gun, just the markings. It has a really deep blued barrel, stand up peep and the cleaning rod.

What's this thing worth. I'm including serial # for help on this

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Modern reproduction made by H&R in the early '70s but they are still worth a good little bit of money.

Last edited by ColKlink; 03/31/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/freedom%27s-doorway/case-81-left-display/harrington-richardson-model-1873-officers-trapdoor-rifle-repro.aspx

Last edited by 340mag; 03/31/13.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Are they safe to shoot modern ammo ? I read some of these should only be shot using a black powder cartridge and lead bullet

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be perfectly safe with modern standard pressure factory ammo (Winchester, Federal, or Remington) or an equivalent handload. Absolutely no hot 45-70 factory loads like Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon which are intended for Marlin Guide guns and Ruger #1s.

Last edited by ColKlink; 03/31/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, right on the money.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Would be perfectly safe with modern standard pressure factory ammo (Winchester, Federal, or Remington) or an equivalent handload. Absolutely no hot 45-70 factory loads like Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon which are intended for Marlin Guide guns and Ruger #1s.

Spot on! Look for the Remington yellow & green box of .45-70 marked "For any rifle" and you will be good to go. Fun rifle!

If you handload, you can duplicate the old cavalry loads using lead bullets. Drop down to the BPCR forum and look around. BrentD, Ranch13, Paul39, EvilTwin, Sharpsguy, and a host of others can help with load info.

Enjoy!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It needs a spring or something inside the firing pin trap door part. The firing pin floats around freely and the metal that the hammer contacts does not pop out when hammer is cocked.

Guess ill break out my coon skin cap

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by salty444
It needs a spring or something inside the firing pin trap door part. The firing pin floats around freely and the metal that the hammer contacts does not pop out when hammer is cocked.

PM Crossfireoops. He knows a LOT about the insides of those things.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by salty444

Not broke, these do not have a retracting spring

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Why or how does the firing pin strike the primer when that metal button looking thing the hammer hits does not stick out when cocked??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inertia is overcome and so force is transmitted to the firing pin.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So with the trapdoor open, its normal that I can push the firing pin in and out with no resistance?

Thanks for the help guys

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The firing pin on a trapdoor is free floating. The only time it will stick out so that the hammer can strike it, is if the other end is seated against the primer. It wasn't the safest design method, but then it was designed at a time when it was expected people would use common sense when handling weapons, loaded or otherwise.

There is NOTHING broken on the carbine. I owned one of those H&Rs for many years and it was a decent shooting carbine.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ok thanks.. can you explain how the firing pin strikes the primer so I.can explain it to my dad... He wants to bring it to a smith for repair.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It is an inertia-type firing pin. Falling hammer hits it and it is driven by the inertia into the primer of the loaded round. Same principal as getting hit in the head by a baseball hit from a bat. Hurts don't it? Bat never touched you, tho.

"Use a big enough gun!"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes but what I'm confused with is how the hammer hits just the frame of where the round metal piece that looks like where the percussion cap used to go before Thry were transformed to trap doors.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I believe that an inertia-type firing pin is shorter than the block it rides in. That way the hammer can be lowered to the fired position and the firing pin will not be in contact with the primer. The firing pin is held to the rear by a spring and when is is struck by the hammer, the weight of the pin and forward motion is enough to set off the primer when the pin strikes it. The hammer, firing pin and primer are never all in contact at the same time. An original Trapdoor Springfield doesn't work this way. I don't know about the H&R reproduction.

On an original trapdoor Springfield the firing pin is long enough that a portion of it is sticking out of the breach block at one end or the other. When the chamber is empty the firing pin protrudes through the face of the breach block into the chamber and is flush with the rear of the breach block. When a cartridge is in the chamber the firing pin rests on the primer and the rear of the firing pin protrudes through the rear of the breach block so that it is ready to be struck by the hammer. On this type of firing mechanism the hammer, the firing pin and the primer are all in contact at the same time.

It is easy enough to check by pushing the firing pin back into the breach block with your finger and seeing if it protrudes at the rear of the block.

Harry
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Are you saying I need a primer to.fire this rifle? If so, whst kind?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.