Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana that we bought from my mother when she quit driving. It has about 110k miles on it. Yesterday it started shifting with a clunk. The oil is gray, not red. Any guesses as to how much a fresh tranny will cost?

This is the 3d GM product I've had that's lost a tranny between 110 and 130k. It's also the reason that it's the ONLY vehicle we have with an automatic.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This is the 3d GM product I've had that's lost a tranny between 110 and 130k. It's also the reason that it's the ONLY vehicle we have with an automatic.

I'd think that would be more a reason to avoid GM products than automatic transmissions.

I've had several Honda and Toyota vehicles that have all gone over 250K miles before I got rid of them, and I've never so much as changed the fluid in their automatic transmissions. GM is your problem, not auto trannies.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana that we bought from my mother when she quit driving. It has about 110k miles on it. Yesterday it started shifting with a clunk. The oil is gray, not red...

Any trans will eventually give problems if you feed it that cheap gray oil and water mix. eek

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm...I have a friend that has replaced 3 auto trannies in a Honda. Do you think Honda is his problem, or do you think a small sample size might be the problem?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd say your friend could probably tear up an anvil if he's screwed up 3 Honda trannies. In addition to the Honda's I've owned I've had friends with dozens of them, not one has ever had to replace a transmission.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ya, that might be true too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have an '04 Pontiac Montana that we bought from my mother when she quit driving. It has about 110k miles on it. Yesterday it started shifting with a clunk. The oil is gray, not red. Any guesses as to how much a fresh tranny will cost?

Well look on the bright side, most guys with Montana/Lumina's have done the centrehead at least once by then...unless they didn't notice & pooched the motor with antifreeze in the oil frown

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'd say your friend could probably tear up an anvil if he's screwed up 3 Honda trannies. In addition to the Honda's I've owned I've had friends with dozens of them, not one has ever had to replace a transmission.

There was a period of time when accord and oddesey's had crap for transmissions. Honda quietly extended the transmission warranty to 100K, but my dealer didn't tell us about it when we brought in an accord coup with 70K on it with a dead tranny. Found out about it on a forum, and once reminded they replaced the transmission FOC.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Try a fluid change. Much cheaper than a tranny change.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree, a flush and fill with a new filter might be the cure.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Change the tranny fluid, then put a diesel in it. mtmuley

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by noKnees

There was a period of time when accord and oddesey's had crap for transmissions.

For quite a few years Honda couldn't keep an automatic transmission behind one of their V6s.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by noKnees

There was a period of time when accord and oddesey's had crap for transmissions.

For quite a few years Honda couldn't keep an automatic transmission behind one of their V6s.

I know of hondas owned by a co-worker whose transmissions gave up the ghost, one an Odyssey with 200k and a Accord with 250k . Damn piece of crap Hondas grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Tranny job is worth more then the Vehicle.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
1/2 it's value, maybe. Otherwise, it's a very good car.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

We had an '04 Montana as well. While it started out nice, it quickly turned in to the biggest POS I have ever owned. I still have a used throttle body sitting on the shelf in my garage after the mechanic misdiagnosed one of the problems it had. If you ever need one, its yours. Cheap.

Sorry I digress.

I agree with others. Try a flush and fill and new filter and see if that helps your current problem. I hope it works.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
GM trans are built to maybe see 100K. After a rebuild in my 97 Tahoe and 3 grand, its finally built right, with high quality parts and an upgraded valve body.

The key to a lasting automatic trans is heat management and fluid changes. Try a fluid change and see if that helps...it may be too late, but that will let you know for under a hundred bucks!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A fluid change won't tell us where the metal filings are coming from.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A fluid change won't tell us where the metal filings are coming from.

YEP...metal filings are always bad...except on a lathe!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd think that would be more a reason to avoid GM products than automatic transmissions.

I've had several Honda and Toyota vehicles that have all gone over 250K miles before I got rid of them, and I've never so much as changed the fluid in their automatic transmissions. GM is your problem, not auto trannies.

Let me tell you about Honda's transmissions. I ran local freight for about 2 years. We had a circle around our terminal about 30 miles for territory. Every Monday we would get about 15-20 Honda factory replacement tranny's and drop them at the various dealerships around the area. I felt like a stranger in an unholy land when I had to drive the truck into their lots. That was about 2005-2007/8. I know it seemed like a bunch of them to be delivered every week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 57 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.