Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Mallard Addict,

What is that thing? It looks like a NightGuard that lost its NightGuard.

Travis

Travis,

It is a 386PD, the precursor to the Night Guard series. I got it around 2004 IIRC.

It has the Scandium/Aluminum frame but with Titanium cylinder. It weighs right at 18oz as opposed to the 24oz of the 386NG with its stainless cylinder.

The main differences between the PD and NG series are the cylinder material, the partial underlug of the PD versus full lug of the NG, and the fiberoptic front and adjustable rear sights as opposed to the tritium front and C&S fixed rear on the NG.

Had I known waiting 2 years I could have the NG I probably would have as I like the barrel aesthetics better on the NG but its a accurate sumbitch to shoot and a pleasure to carry.

Starting to carry it a lot more now for my woods tromping and hunting sidearm thus the upcoming change of at least the front sight and maybe both.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
If the G20 survives the cut, I'm gonna need a 310....

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I am utterly astonished that no one has yet mentioned the Smith 625.

Schit, either TAK is ignoring me or he just breezes past my thoughts...... grin

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forgot the 610. Great choice, except they now bring spendy prices...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333856680

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Model? Double or single action? Barrel length? Caliber? Holster?

I know everyone carries a semi-auto now, but if using a revolver how would you have it set up for a gun fight? Being able to quickly get into action and good accuracy for within 10-15 yards? And stopping power.

Maybe I read too many westerns as a kid, but I got to thinking about this the other day, and thought it would be fun to ask this board.

S&W-19 or 66 with a 4" barrel this is the smallest easy to shoot revolver with a suitable power level IMHO. The K-frame makes it easier the pack than the larger models

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know everyone carries a semi-auto now, but if using a revolver how would you have it set up for a gun fight? Being able to quickly get into action and good accuracy for within 10-15 yards? And stopping power.

Maybe I read too many westerns as a kid, but I got to thinking about this the other day, and thought it would be fun to ask this board.

My pick would be the Webley Mk VI

Now if I were allowed to play with that Webley a bit. Cut the barrel to 4� and chamber it for .45 ACP with full moon clips. Then weld up, and re-file the latch/rear sight for a more usable configuration, and see what can be done about the horrendously stiff DA trigger pull.

I�ve won an IPSC revolver match with a stock Mk VI Webley out of a WWII Brit canvas holster; pissed the guys with their scope sighted PPC guns off�which only sweetened the win for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Personal arsenal would be this
[Linked Image]
Are my meds playing tricks on me, or is that a 3" Detective Special? Man, those are not common at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I guess they're sending them with Ahrends, then, because at least two of my S&W revolvers came with exactly those grips from the manufacturer.
S&W hasn't made grips in house since way back when Moby Dick was a minnow.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I forgot the 610. Great choice, except they now bring spendy prices...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333856680

Yep. They bring a premium now.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Personal arsenal would be this
[Linked Image]
Are my meds playing tricks on me, or is that a 3" Detective Special? Man, those are not common at all.

Looks like an Army Special that's had a barrel chop job to me.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Well...not everyone carries a semi-auto today. Go over to the S&W Forums and they have a whole thread of guys who carry nothing but revolvers...

To the questions...

Single or Double Action: No choice for me...I can shoot a SA very well but not near as fast and well as a DA...so it is DA for me.

Make...S&W would be #1 with Ruger #2...the way most Colt DAs stack firing DA just throws my aim off...

Caliber...no clue why folks think that todays .38 Special rounds are any more effective that the ones that earned the round the nick name "Widow Maker" in LE circles. There are rounds that make it marginally more effective but still just up into the 9mm class. .357 Magnum up to .45 Colt are just proven to work...why take a chance....

Model...here we go with the balance between weight, concealability and carry comfort.... If I was limited to only one gun...then it would be a S&W Mountain Gun...caliber really wouldn't make any difference... If however this was just a dedicated carry gun with lots of others at home to shoot...would probably have to go with some of the other posters and choose a 3" 65 or 66...they just balance and shoot great. And with 125 grain .357 Magnum HPs the fight is going to end fast...

Holster....OWB: DeSantis Speed Scabbard IWB: Mitt Sparks or Horseshoe Leather

Mountain Gun:

[Linked Image]

Model 66 3":

[Linked Image]

Model 65 3":

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RJM

Caliber...no clue why folks think that todays .38 Special rounds are any more effective that the ones that earned the round the nick name "Widow Maker" in LE circles.

I suspect the ones I load would be effective.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...when you get into a gunfight with one let me know. Until then I'll take the advise of the dozen or so friends who did and all but one never carried one again.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See, this is what I'm talkin-bout!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Caliber...no clue why folks think that todays .38 Special rounds are any more effective that the ones that earned the round the nick name "Widow Maker" in LE circles. There are rounds that make it marginally more effective but still just up into the 9mm class.
Most .38 Special +P�s out of a 4� barrel pass the FBI tests; I�d say that�s more than marginally effective. The Widow Maker has become a downright decent round, and when you consider it has nowhere near the muzzle flash and nose of the .357, I personally think it�s better than the .357 for defense.

Regardless, notice that I too went for a larger diameter bullet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The best!

[Linked Image]

The first best!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 04/05/13.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
My pick would be the Webley Mk VI

Now if I were allowed to play with that Webley a bit. Cut the barrel to 4� and chamber it for .45 ACP with full moon clips. Then weld up, and re-file the latch/rear sight for a more usable configuration, and see what can be done about the horrendously stiff DA trigger pull.

Yes, indeed! If you ever figure that trigger out, I would love to have you work on my grandfather's Webley. I've had another gunsmith tell me there's not much that can be done to lighten the DA trigger, due to the geometry of the springs and hammer, but I don't know.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

S&W Mountain Revolver, .44 or .45.

I don't have one ... yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
The best!

[Linked Image]

Dan,

That�s just a wicked cool revolver there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WOW!!! I've been away from this thread since just after I started it. I was hoping for just a few posts.

Sincere appreciation to all that have taken the time to respond. I'm looking forward to carefully reading through it all.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 50 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.