Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
My pick would be the Webley Mk VI

Now if I were allowed to play with that Webley a bit. Cut the barrel to 4� and chamber it for .45 ACP with full moon clips. Then weld up, and re-file the latch/rear sight for a more usable configuration, and see what can be done about the horrendously stiff DA trigger pull.

Back when I worked for the small arms importer, I took a few apart and put a few back together, but that was before I started gunsmithing revolvers. So while I have been inside the Webley before, it was never with a critical eye towards improvement. And that was over 25 years ago, and I only vaguely recall what it all looked like on the inside. I�d like to get my hands on one these days and see what can be done. Most Webley�s are pretty smooth, but the DA pull is like 16-20lbs. I�d love to see what I could do about that.

Yes, indeed! If you ever figure that trigger out, I would love to have you work on my grandfather's Webley. I've had another gunsmith tell me there's not much that can be done to lighten the DA trigger, due to the geometry of the springs and hammer, but I don't know.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I pick the big shiny one in the middle smile

[Linked Image]

It's a 45 Colt Mountain Gun for me too. My cylinder is currently out with Pinnacle Guns to be cut for .45 ACP moonclips. It'll be .45 Colt for play and .45 ACP moonclips for business - SAME cylinder. These days, it rides in a MS PMK.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 04/05/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the S&W 329's would work, too, at least with reduced .44 mag loads

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If it's purpose is to fight and not conceal, I would probably go with one of the new N Frame Smiths in the 357 with the 8 shot cylinder and 5 inch barrel. I don't think you could go wrong with a 19 or 66 either. They are some sweet shooting guns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4" Smith and Wesson 686, square butt, .357 Mag. Federal 125 grain JHP's.

Second choice...Smith and Wesson 4" 629 Mountain Gun in 44 Mag. with any decent 44 Mag. 240 grain JHP.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by deflave

Mallard Addict,

What is that thing? It looks like a NightGuard that lost its NightGuard.

Travis

Travis,

It is a 386PD, the precursor to the Night Guard series. I got it around 2004 IIRC.

It has the Scandium/Aluminum frame but with Titanium cylinder. It weighs right at 18oz as opposed to the 24oz of the 386NG with its stainless cylinder.

The main differences between the PD and NG series are the cylinder material, the partial underlug of the PD versus full lug of the NG, and the fiberoptic front and adjustable rear sights as opposed to the tritium front and C&S fixed rear on the NG.

Had I known waiting 2 years I could have the NG I probably would have as I like the barrel aesthetics better on the NG but its a accurate sumbitch to shoot and a pleasure to carry.

Starting to carry it a lot more now for my woods tromping and hunting sidearm thus the upcoming change of at least the front sight and maybe both.

That's a bad ass wheelgun. I guess I wasn't familiar with those or I forgot about them. I'll FM as punishment.

If you're going to switch up your sights, I highly recommend you contact Bowen about his adjustable rear. Somebody here recommended I get one (it was EdM or JWP, not sure which) and hot damn, it is NICE. And I don't see it being a weak link.

Here it is compared to the C&S version (C&S on the left.)

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
3" Ruger GP100 w/fixed sights.

My first thought was also of a 357 Ruger GP100 with speed loaders. My preference would be for a 6" barrel - But that's just me.

Ray
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RJM
...when you get into a gunfight with one let me know. Until then I'll take the advise of the dozen or so friends who did and all but one never carried one again.

Bob

True,..I've never been in a gunfight and hope to never be,..and I doubt that I *will* be.

I live a lifestyle that's not condusive to gunfights.

But it's no trick to put together a load for a mid frame .38 special that's as good, if not better than the best 9mm loads.

It's all about bullet type and choosing a powder that gives high velocity with low pressure.

In other words,..a 140 grain Hornady XTP over 13 grains of 2400.

A model 10 loves 'em,..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
3" Ruger GP100 w/fixed sights.

ET. Sounds about perfect. I've always been a fan of "fixed" sights on defensive handguns. I have just always felt that adjustable "target" style sights could too inconveniently get knocked out of whack. I don't need Minute of tea cup accuracy in a gun fight. I need minute of chest cavity

My choice for a revolver would be a 4 inch m57 smith. With good grips

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
5" 625 loaded with whatever I could find. I know its a fatty on the cylinder but the extra barrel length is not an issue. I admit it is a reassuring sight to dump a moonclip full of heavy hollow points ino the cylinder. I carried one for quite a while when working some assignments and wanted a non-traditional LE gun. All the dopers that saw it where impressed, I used it in the only "pistol whipping" I have ever administered and it was very conclusive with a chop to the collar bone and one to the forehead.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hands down, my Model 65 Smith. Custom Shop rebuild. DAO, hammerless, no snag edges, factory regulated to shoot Winchester Silver Tips to point of aim at 10 yards. Every thing about the revolver was brought to specs at the rebuild.
This three inch heavy barrel revolver will shoot with the best of them.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Personal arsenal would be this
[Linked Image]
Are my meds playing tricks on me, or is that a 3" Detective Special? Man, those are not common at all.

Looks like an Army Special that's had a barrel chop job to me.

It is a chopped Official Police with a King mirrored front sight.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Caliber...no clue why folks think that todays .38 Special rounds are any more effective that the ones that earned the round the nick name "Widow Maker" in LE circles. There are rounds that make it marginally more effective but still just up into the 9mm class.
Most .38 Special +P�s out of a 4� barrel pass the FBI tests; I�d say that�s more than marginally effective. The Widow Maker has become a downright decent round, and when you consider it has nowhere near the muzzle flash and nose of the .357, I personally think it�s better than the .357 for defense.

Regardless, notice that I too went for a larger diameter bullet.

..then we will just have to respectfully agree to disagree.

As to the FBI "tests"...these are the same folks who brought LE the 147 "Subsonic"...better known as a 15 shot .38...which the FBI even noted "didn't work out exactly as we thought it would" when asked why they no longer carry the round...

So much for "tests"....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mannlicher...that is one great looking handgun...

What are you running for loads?...never mind...I looked again and saw the Silvertips...

Bob

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by RJM
Caliber...no clue why folks think that todays .38 Special rounds are any more effective that the ones that earned the round the nick name "Widow Maker" in LE circles. There are rounds that make it marginally more effective but still just up into the 9mm class.
Most .38 Special +P�s out of a 4� barrel pass the FBI tests; I�d say that�s more than marginally effective. The Widow Maker has become a downright decent round, and when you consider it has nowhere near the muzzle flash and nose of the .357, I personally think it�s better than the .357 for defense.

As to the FBI "tests"...these are the same folks who brought LE the 147 "Subsonic"...

They should just bought some 2400 and shot those 147 grain bullets through their issue .38's.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
...when you get into a gunfight with one let me know. Until then I'll take the advise of the dozen or so friends who did and all but one never carried one again.

Bob

True,..I've never been in a gunfight and hope to never be,..and I doubt that I *will* be.

I live a lifestyle that's not condusive to gunfights.

But it's no trick to put together a load for a mid frame .38 special that's as good, if not better than the best 9mm loads.

It's all about bullet type and choosing a powder that gives high velocity with low pressure.

In other words,..a 140 grain Hornady XTP over 13 grains of 2400.

A model 10 loves 'em,..

..then you are talking...and not really talking a .38 Special anymore....more like .357 Personal Defense as Federal calls them.

A friend on Dallas PD killed a guy through a door with a Model 15 .38 Special...with a very jacked up load using a 125 Sierra JHC. It was jacked up enough that he finally cracked the forcing cone on the barrel because unlike a Model 19 there is a lot of exposed barrel on a 15 that is unsupported...

Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by RJM

As to the FBI "tests"...these are the same folks who brought LE the 147 "Subsonic"...

They should just bought some 2400 and shot those 147 grain bullets through their issue .38's.

.....well see that was the problem. They could have run the 9mm 147s faster but they decided that "slow worked best"...at least it did in their tests... And if you look there was at one time a 147 .38 Special load that matched the 9mm...and notice it is gone also...

Bob

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by RJM
.more like .357 Personal Defense as Federal calls them.

I call 'em .38's that haven't been watered down.

All of this "what's best" stuff is worthless, anyway.

A .36" projectile is a .36" projectile. Call it a 9mm,...call it a .357, or call it a .38.

All of the .38 hate came from round nose lead bullets at 800 fps. You don't have to shoot round nose lead bullets at 800 fps out of a .38.

It's an old, old story that I got tired of hearing 30 years ago,..but keep telling it if it makes you feel good.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJM
.more like .357 Personal Defense as Federal calls them.

I call 'em .38's that haven't been watered down.

All of this "what's best" stuff is worthless, anyway.

A .36" projectile is a .36" projectile. Call it a 9mm,...call it a .357, or call it a .38.

All of the .38 hate came from round nose lead bullets at 800 fps. You don't have to shoot round nose lead bullets at 800 fps out of a .38.

It's an old, old story that I got tired of hearing 30 years ago,..but keep telling it if it makes you feel good.
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 3" GP w/fixed is for a real reason. If you ever looked at the profile of the gun,it is as smooth as a baby's ass. NOTHING to get hung up on anything. Slick. Secondly, a fighting revolver is likely to have to be pulled and pointed like REALLY REALLY fast so the 3" bbl. allows you to clear leather fast and not give up too much in performance. The double action is smooth and positive. Heavy enuff to dampen recoil down so repeat shots will not be all over the geography.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,791
Posts18,536,355
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.