Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Good on you guys for doing it yourself. However, I've watched and smelled some of the process and I'll just pay the $125 and wait a couple of months for it to come back to me on a nice purty plaque.

I have done a few myself, but I agree with Crow hunter here! I feel that is twice as true if you are talking about tanning a hide!

Please, please don't use spray paint though.

TANSTAAFL
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I spoke too soon. I found a nice 6 point that had been poached but apparently lost. I have it soaking in water now, I just can't see spending the money on a deer I didn't shoot, but don't want to see this set of antlers eaten by the squirrels.

TANSTAAFL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For us here, instead of doing all the fish tank heater thing, I just wait till June or so and take em out of the freezer and in a few days IE a week or so they are done...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
H
My Nephew put this together from the bucks we killed this year on some management hunts. I think it came out great

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rost495
For us here, instead of doing all the fish tank heater thing, I just wait till June or so and take em out of the freezer and in a few days IE a week or so they are done...

Have you found the need to heat the water during degreasing or are you getting it done without heat?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a really big plastic storage container with a couple concrete blocks on the lid to keep dogs and squirrels out to do 3 and 4 at a time

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
100 degrees in the shade, and a bucket of water, and its generally done in a week or 10 days, totally clean, no need to degrease anything if you didn't heat the water to boiling or close to it to start with.

Boiling is a complete disaster.

now if I knew how to get the green algae off the heads when I screw up now and then.... I'd be way ahead of the game.

Just have that problem right now again... 2 bucks locked and dead in our tank, they were already rotting so I've had them in water off and on changing it for the last 3 months... and damn pollen fell while I had a week of nightly EMS/fire calls and I was so tired I forgot about the washtub......... clean of goo, but now the algae... can't win some days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rost495

And that is the way I will do it in the future!

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two 8 pntrs and an antelope in the big blue storage bin now....ill post some pics in a couple weeks or so

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one I did, that my wife got with her Muzzle Loader
I even cut down the tree the plaque came from:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snyper; 04/19/13.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I should have paid attention. The squirrels got to my antlers and have almost eaten through them.

I'll use the big covered tub technique next time.

TANSTAAFL
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
maceration is a stinking mess. It works though.

Question, how are you keeping the antlers out of the nasty water, but still getting the meat around the pedicles gone?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Question, how are you keeping the antlers out of the nasty water, but still getting the meat around the pedicles gone?

I don't worry about keeping the antlers out of the water. Soaking in dawn for several months takes the nasty out of them.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cool, so you are not losing color around the bases?

I need to try this method. I usually simmer, but it is impossible to get all the meat out of the sinuses and that is a bug magnet later on.

Thanks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just started doing it last year for myself and few friends. I haven't lost any color in seven deer in two years. As you mentioned, boiling just doesn't cut it inside the skull, especially in the sinus area. With maceration there is absolutely no tissue remaining anywhere.

FWIW, I had a couple that were boiled with lots of tissue remaining inside. These have been boiled for several years. I dropped them in a ripe bucket and it cleaned them right up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does a 'rubbermaid' type container or 5gal buck with lid contain the smell enough that the neighbors (I live in a subdivision on 1/4ac lots) won't complain?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pointer, its plenty to keep the smell down. Except when the lid is off.

[Linked Image]

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The difference between maceration and boiling, (it was boiled poorly and degreasing was ineffective)

[Linked Image]

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now, I only european mount. I can go on more hunts without paying the rapidly increasing taxidermy charges. Sometimes, you here of people burying the heads in dirt. I don't suggest this as the dirt can stain the skull. I've done some that don't get stained, but this one did get stained.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
Pointer, its plenty to keep the smell down. Except when the lid is off.

[Linked Image]
May have to give it a try. I don't really care too much what my neighbors think/say, but my wife does and I don't like the dog house...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 14,471 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,166
Posts18,542,939
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.