Print Thread
Hop To
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have been been getting interested in visiting the Yellowknife NWT this summer on the way to Alaska. (I know it's a long detour) Any do's or don'ts or things to see or avoid? Interested in fishing and seeing wild critters.
Thanks for any info. I am currently staying in a campground in Cottonwood, Arizona that doesn't have internet, so it might be a day or two before I reply, but thanks in advance.

Royce

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
JFK should have some good advice when he comes on.
I have heard nothing but good sporting wise.
Why a summer trip? Enjoy the winter as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're driving, I recommend the usual Yukon/NWT, 2 spairs, extra fuel(Jerry can(s) and jumper cables/small tool kit.

Haven't done Yellowknife yet, but have driven the Demptser Hwy to Inuvik, the Stewart-Cassiar before it was paved and the Campbell hwy in the Yukon, also unpaved. And yes, I have had a need for 2 spare tire and extra fuel......

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hey Royce-

I've been in YK for a few years. Some others on the Fire have been here longer but I'll give you a few tips.

The road is paved the entire way, so while you should obviously have a spare tire, it isn't that bad. The road gets pretty frost heaved the last hour or so and is usually fairly rough, but paved. I've done the drive a couple times and never used jerrys. They aren't a bad idea, but there are tiny towns with one pump gas stations along the way. Just don't miss any of them!

In summer, the usual outdoor activity is boating, canoeing and hiding from the bugs. Fishing can be amazing but slows down in the smaller lakes as the water warms and fish go deeper in July-ish. The main fishing is for lake trout and northern pike. If you get out on the bigger lakes, then the water stays colder all summer and trout fishing stays good.

Wild critters are tougher. There aren't many animals this far north. It is rare to spot one, but they do hang out in certain spots.

It was -42 windchill about 3 days ago. They are calling for +2 today, so spring is coming...slowly. I'll send you a pm and we can get into finer details.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First time I drove up from Edmonton in the 60's it took 3 days, gravel from Peace River on. 200 trips since then, and nowadays, it's a one day trip on pavement. Take your time, a spare tire and jerry can is all you need. Only real dangers are moose and bison on the road! Keep your eyes open and the camera handy, there's wildlife if you spot it, great waterfalls, and lots of places for a "walk-around".

We've got good camping spots, fishing for trout, pike, grayling, and the odd pickerel. A trip on the big lake is a must, and for real adventure book a trip to the East Arm for a week of pure excitement, both sightseeing and fishing, surrounded by history.

Forty-five years here and there's still new things to see and adventure!!!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
IC B2

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Wabigoon, RiverOtter, JFK and Barryt. What is Wood Buffalo National Park like, on the off chance anyone has been there.
Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've driven to YK 5 times, and to say it is a bit of a detour is an understatement! But, I really feel that it is worth the effort - have fun!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Last time I came back to Yukon from YK I had to get my truck slung over the MaKenzie River with the old 204 from Aero Arctic. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a bridge now is completed in its place. It was a surprise as I had not heard they were actaully building one though the talk was around forever.

Last edited by tangozulu; 04/23/13.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you drive up you'll likely see Bison on the highway between Fort Providence and Behchoko. If you're lucky you might see woodland caribou but that's pretty unlikely.

I agree with Barry...book a trip to the East Arm. YK offers very little that can't be seen in a day. Go to Old Town, climb Pilot's Monument, check out the museum, drive the Ingraham Trail, buy a hoodie from Buffalo Joe eat overpriced fish and get abused by staff at Bullock's and you're done. There are a few decent restaurants but only comparable to the South, nothing extraordinary. Perhaps being a "Product of the system" I'm jaded, but I grew up there and it's just another place stuffed with government workers and wanna-be neo-hippies. To really have some enjoyment out of YK you have to get out of it into the bush or on the water.

The best thing about Yellowknife is how it looks in the rearview mirror.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,875
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.