Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What�s your favorite odd, rare, custom, or �interesting� handgun.

I have to say it was the 3 gun set built by John Martz. He displayed it at a gun show in Sacramento CA which was the first time I had ever been exposed to the talents of John Martz. This particular set was a Baby Luger, Artillery Luger, and Luger Carbine all in .38 Super. All were museum quality beautiful and the cool factor was just plain off the charts. Over the years I�ve seen a number of Martz .38 Supers but I�ve never seen the 3 gun set. Makes me wonder if he ever sold them as a 3 gun set or always ended up breaking them up for individual sale. The way he cut the guns down the middle and stretched them was so damn cool.

[Linked Image]

GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
What�s your favorite odd, rare, custom, or �interesting� handgun.

[Linked Image]

Well Kevin,
I'd be hard pressed to come up with anything in the same league as this.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That is pretty awesome..nothing I have or ever would have would come close.....

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Kevin
This isn't a handgun but is a Very Rare offering being an H&R Ultra rifle. These were a custom order gun offered from H&R from 1967-1975 time span. The Only thing H&R about it is the recoil Pad, H&R Crest stamp and the checkering on it's stock. These Gun's were made using a Belgium Made action from FN. They were mated to a fully adjustable trigger made by Sako and stamped on the side of it "Made in Finland". The Barrel's were Douglas Match Grade custom air gapped sporter Pencil style barrels and the stock was made by [bleep] and called the Aristocrat, which has a wild roll over cheek Piece to them and is of Monte-Carlo design embelished with French walnut on the end of the foren and Pistol grip cap. The stock's were shipped into H&R by [bleep] then they had woman that worked for H&R hand checker them and then they applied a high Gloss Urethane finish to them. It is Unknown Just how many shipped out of H&R but this one which is chambered in Winchester .308 Caliber left H&R In 1967 and is only the Second one I have ever seen. It is shown Wearing a Very Early Leupold 3-9 scope which is so early it is plum in color and has Patent applied for on it's tube. This Gun is scary accuratye and will shoot a One hole Group @ 10 Yards if I do my part right. Regards, TheGeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is freakin' beautiful!! laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by generalstuart
This Gun is scary accuratye and will shoot a One hole Group @ 10 Yards if I do my part right.

That's awesome. Maybe your groups would tighten up more, at 5 yards.....

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
General,

The H&R FN Mauser action rifles can be a great bargain if you find someone who only looks at the H&R name and doesn�t understand what the rifle is. I wasn�t aware they made a factory semi-custom; that�s one sweet rifle there. I�d love to have one in .270.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Devel S&W Model 59 "Full House" that still gets looks when it sees daylight.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if this is rare enough, but it sure gets me excited. S&W pre 36 baby chief. Only made for a few years in this configuration, however there are more rare models with different sight/grip/latch variations. This one is from around 1952.

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B3

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
This Gun is scary accuratye and will shoot a One hole Group @ 10 Yards if I do my part right.

Hey Huntsmann22, I had a rifle that'd shoot one hole groups at 10 yards too, but the darn thing always shot 2" low. So it went down the road!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Of my toys it would be my Single-Six'ized OM Ruger 357 conversion 44 Special I had put together 10 or so years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DMc

Hey Huntsmann22, I had a rifle that'd shoot one hole groups at 10 yards too, but the darn thing always shot 2" low. So it went down the road!

DMc

Hello Guy's
You Guy's are Beting me up here as It was a miss-print on my Part. blush I Meant to say @ 100 Yard's this rifle shoots One hole groups. Let's Get back to the Kevin's post here about Rare or Interesting hand guns shall we ? here's one for you how about a First Year 1935 S&W Registered Magnum. S&W Offered these customer ordered Custom made hand built revolver's from 1935-1938. They were the Most elaborate gun ever made by S&W and had a retail price of $61.00 in 1935 ! This is one of only 720 Made in their first Year being 1935. By 1938 S&W dropped the Registration process and for the next couple of year's they called this very same gun The Non Registered Magnum. In 1940 Civilian gun sales stopped at S&W for the war effort, so these were not offered again until Post World War II time span. When they started producing them again they were a standard catalog revolver made on the assembly line, Not hand made gun's like these were before the War where Douglas Wesson had selected his Best Factory Gun smith's to build these Registered Magnums. These were a High Bred hand gun custom made and Tuned to the Buyer's specification's & There was a total of about 5500 of these Registered Magnums made in their four year Span. Most of the first year Registered Magnum's went to People of stature as Philip Sharpe, the developer of the Famous .357 Magnum round, J. Edgar Hoover, General George S Patton, Hollywood actor Jimmy Stewart and several other's. This one was Purchased by Charles W. Bowen the owner of the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting Good's company of Augusta, Georgia. He had written a Personal Letter to Douglas Wesson the vice president of S&W asking for a special reduced price on this gun as his store was & had been a Large S&W stocking dealer for many year's. Douglas Wesson replied as shown in the Original response below where he agreed to sell this gun to Charles Bowen for a price of $39.00 F.O.B. with one Box of Complimentary Winchester .357 Magnum ammunition. It was sighted in at 25 Yard with a dead center hold on Target using Winchester .357 Magnum ammo before it left the factory.

I spent Two full years researching this gun's History Trail, and here is how it all Unfolded. I Located the Grandson of Charles W. Bowen who Lives in Augusta, Georgia by Googling The Charles Bowen Name on the Internet it showed a Charles W. Bowen III still Living in Augusta, Georgia, so I Took a chance and called the Home phone number that I Had found for Charles W. Bowen III. An Older sounding woman answered the phone and I asked her if her Husband was a relative to The late Charles Bowen, who Owned & Operated the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting Good's store ? She said that her Husband was the Grandson of Charles W. Bowen then asked me if I would like to speak with him ? He answered the Phone and we spent an Hour at Least going over his family History. He shared many personal things with me while we had our conversation, and before I got off the phone with him I asked him if he would Mind Typing all that we Talked about ? He agreed to do it but wanted to see picture's of his Late Grandfather Gun, so I sent them off as soon as we got off the Phone, and he in return Typed up the Letter shown below in the Link to me to add to the Gun's History Trail as well as sent me several Family archive Photo's that are shown below. I had certainly Hit The Mother Load finding him as his Memory was "as sharp as a Tack" and he Loved Talking about his rich Family History and their Involvement of firearms He said that the Bowen Brother's sporting good's store started life in the Mid to Late late 1800's as his Great Grandfather used to make custom order Target Musket Loading rifles that were sold under the Trade name of Bowen-Rogers. later on, The Confederate Army chose Bowen & Roger's to standardize a caliber & to build and supply the Confederate Troop's for the civil War, His custom made Musket rifles are highly sought after today and a Rare find. He went on & shared with me that he was the last family member to have operate as the company President and run the Bowen Brother's Hardware & sporting Good's company of Augusta, Georgis which closed their doors in 1967, he is now in his late 70's. He said in the Late 1950's to Early 1960's time span, the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store under went a face lift and had an escalator installed to the second level of the store & a revolving automatic front door system installed during it's reconstruction , being the first store of it's Kind in the area to Offer these new inovations in that time span to offer it's Patron's. He sent me the personal family Picture's and Obituary of his Grandfather Charles W. Bowen shown below. I hope you enjoy this Information & Picture's as much as I enjoyed doing the research of my S&W 1935 Registered Magnum Regards, TheGeneral

My 1935 S&W Registered Magnum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a digital copy of the actual document where Charles W. Bowen was requesting a special reduced price from S&W and asking them what sight's would be a good choice on a 3-1/2" Barrel length Registered Magnum. He also "Stressed" that he wanted the new then Magna style stock's on it & S&W responding Telling him their choice would be a Patridge sight for his gun. In 1937 F.B.I. Agent Frank Baughman sent in a Mechanical drawing of his own special sight design which was a serrated elevated ramp style sight to reduce snagging when drawn from a Holster. S&W agrred to use his design and from there after The Baughman designed sight was the standard sight used on all short Barreld S&W revolver's which is still used today.

[Linked Image]

This letter is S&W's response to Charles W. Bowen offering his revolver for a special price of $39.00 delivered to his S&W stocking Sporting Good's store in Augusta, Georgia

[Linked Image]

Here is the Original factory Order build sheet Invoice that Charles W. Bowen filled out and returned to S&W to begine the Birth of his 1935 Registered Magnum hand gun with his specifications of what he wanted to be included on his revolver as well as what ammo was used and the distance & Hold on Target to sight it in at the factory, before it shipped to him. S&W used these Customer specification order form's when you Placed the order for your gun to be built by them. This was the Only Gun Ever offered by S&W that allowed the customer the Freedom to create his own personal option's Placed into a Registered Magnum hand gun. These were considered to be the Most Elaborate gun to have ever come out of S&W Then or since.

[Linked Image]

Here is the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store in the same time apan being 1935 as when my revolver was sent to Charles W. Bowen the Owner of the store. Notice the Early 1930's Vintage Ford Model-A Pick-up Parked out in front of the store that was used to deliver their good's to local customer's back then

[Linked Image]

Here is Charles W. Bowen shown with his Nephew Dudley Bowen, and Uncles to Charles W. Bowen III that supplied me with this and the Other Family Photographs. They are shown standing on the Loading dock in the rear area of the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store where my gun would have been brought to & Checked inwhen it was delivered to Charles W. Bowen 0n December 13, 1935. Perhaps' this was a Christmas Present to him self ?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/3bdeafb3.jpg[/img]

Here is the actual Obituary of Charles W. Bowen who ordered my 1935 Registered Magnum. He passed just 39 Month's after he received his gun from S&W. I Bought the gun while attending our annual Smith & Wesson collector's Meeting in 2009. The fellow collector that had it was from California. It was Not clear how the gun got from the East Coast to The West coast, but myself & Charles Bowen III have speculated that it was sold after his Grandfather's death in 1938 to a Mr Rodger's who was a Captain of The United states Army and stationed at The Augusta, Georgia arsenal. We Feel as when Captain Rodger's completed his service time in Augusta, Georgia he returned to his Native state of California taking with him my 1935-Registered Magnum.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/998336f0.jpg[/img]

Here is the Photgraph of how the Bowen Brother's Hardware & sporting good's store looked after it's Face lift in the early 1960's time span. They closed their door's for good in 1967 as the Big Box store's back then being Woolworth's, Sear's & Roebucks J.C. Penny, Western Auto and other's Pulled away much of their retail Business forcing them to close their doors for Good. Their store is still standing and is now home to Turner Entertainment Network of New's feed's being CNN and other Local syndicated new's feeds.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/7ff404be.jpg[/img]

An Original Augusta Time's Newspaper advertisement for Bowen-Roger's Guns back in the mid to Late 1800's time span.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/790012e4.jpg[/img]

This is the Typed Letter that Charles Bowen III agreed to send me. It is not hard to see that his family history was Heavily Involved with firearms. This Letter now resides with the rest of the documentation on my 1935 Regsistered Magnum. To me, this Facinating History of the Bowen Family, was the Icing on the cake in completing my revolver's History Trail. I am sure you have all Heard of the Phrase "If Gun's Could Talk" ? Well this One spoke volume's when I researched it and completed it's Rich Bowen Family History Trail ! To view it in it's original format simply Click on the Two Links below to read about The Bowen Family History of Guns.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Bowen_letter_Address_Cut.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF0691.JPG[/img]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One of 6,486 produced

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Kevin & Other's
Here is my 1935 Registered Magnum again showing it wearing a set of Rare Walter Roper Custom Shooting stocks. Walter Roper was Heavily Involved with Competition shooter's back in the Mid to Late 1930's time span and they requested his to make a pair of Custom shooting stocks. Prior to this time span Walter Roper worked for S&W. He suggested when he worked for them that they Offered a set of Larger style custom shooting stock's but they refused to make them as they Offered the smaller sized Magna's as well as standard sized service stock's with their Optional grip adopter. Roper was a Man that would not take No for an answer so being that he him self was Not Talented enough to make larger Target style stock's he commissioned Matheis Gagne to make them for him, Then Marketed them to the Camp Perry shooting Teams. Matheis Gagne had a Past of clock & Cabinet Building, so he was very Talented in working with wood.

His shop was a small One car garage located in new England. If you wanted a pair of his custom shooting stock's to be made, he requested a Hand Tracing to be able to make the stock's fit the shooter. he then would make your custom shooting stock's so that they Felt comfortable in your hand. Gagne used very few Power Tool's in his creating of the shooting stocks. He would start wit air dried Walnut and Quarter Saw it so that the wood Grain Matched. he then used a Large Belt sander to make sure both stock's on the rear were perfectly smooth. He then Placed the stock's in a Jig and would Pencil draw his famous clover Leaf checking pattern on them. He then would use a wooden mallet and a simple V-chisel to cut the checking into each stock. His stock's were all hand made and shaped and they had a wafer thin design as to Not load the shooter's hand with Unwanted extra thick wood, his Objective was shooter comfort. He sanded a well pronounced Palm swell into Them as well as an Oval shape bottom on them and finished them up with a diamond center and the stock attachment hardware.

His son Albert Gagne served his apprenticeship under his Father's Guidance of making these custom shooting stock's for Roper. When Matheis Gagne retired Albert Gagne went to work for S&W in their research and design department. he also shot on the S&W shooting Team in the early to mid 1950's time span. It has been speculated that Albert Gagne spent time in the development of the first Target sized shooting stock's that S&W Offered. In 1956 S&W came out with The .44 Magnum. They Offered a set of High grain definition Target stock's for this Pre-29 revolver. Those Target stock's are Highly sought after today and collector's that admire them call Them Coke Bottle stock's due to their profile of an Old Coke Bottle. If you look closely at a set of these Highly prized Coke Profile stock's they seem to resemble Matheis Gagne's Palm swell design and have the diamond center cut into their broad coverage checking. Here is an Original set of Walter Roper shooting stock's made by Matheis Gagne.

Oddly S&W Offered these custom Stock's on their Famous Registered Magnums as an Outside Vendor add on option. About Seven Year's ago I Picked these Custom Roper Shooting stock's at a Local Gun show. I knew the vendor and spotted them the first day of the show. They were on a much newer model S&W 27-2 revolver chambered in .357 Magnum. I asked to see the gun of which was in his Glass display case. He asked me if I needed the gun ? I told him Not the gun but that I would Like to have the stocks on it. He said that he Hated the Look of Those Herritt stock's on it, and that he felt if he Had the Original Factory stock's on it, The gun would sell a Lot easier. I asked him to Place the gun under his Table for me and to give me Five minute's to return. I went out to my Truck that was in the parking lot and brought back a set of Nice factory S&W Target stocks and Handed them to him. I asked if he wanted to trade ? He said that he would and even wanted to Place some Boot with the Trade. I could not Take any more advantage of him than I all ready was taking on his Roper stock's so I said even up with be Good for me if it work's for you ? He removed the Roper's and Handed them to me. I put them in my Pocket and Headed for the door.

I was 20 Minute's down the Interstate when my Buddy called me that was set up next to this vendor. He wanted to know why I left there in such a Hurry? I told him what I had just scored from the vendor right next to him, and that he had No Clue of what he had just Traded me, so I had to get gone before someone else tried to educate him on what he really Gave up. Here they are on my 1935 Registered Magnum, and these are No doubt The Most Comfortable shooting stock's I have ever placed in my hand. Oh, & if you are wondering I had $35.00 in the set of Factory S&W Target stock's of which I Traded for these. wink Regards, The General

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rear view of the deep Palm swelll of the Roper stock's. They are shown in this Picture on my S&W Pre-28 Highway Patrolman Revolver I have before I Bought my Registered Magnum where they reside now

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Kevin
Here is a Rare Gem. This is a S&W Model 632 Centennial revolver. I was set up at a gun whow Near Memphis, Tennessee with a Friend a couple of Year's. The show was Large but I had not seen anything come in the door that caught my eye. That was Until Early Sunday Morning. An Older Man had a S&W Leir-Sigler Era box Tucked under his arm & I could see it was of J-frame size. Before my Gun show buudy could ask, I asked him what he had in the box ? He said an Old S&W chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I asked if it was for sale ? He Nodded and handed it to me. He went on to say that he had Bought it brand new in 1989 but never shot it. He said that he was wanting a S&W chambered in the new then Federal .327 Magnum. I asked what his price was and he said "Exacly what I had to give for it in 1989". I then asked and what would that be ? He said $300.00 and not one Penny less. I couldn't get the Three Hundred Buck's out of my Wallet fast enough.

I had read about these but never seen one up close. They were a One year offering from S&W and Only 1000 of them were produced. It is an Air-Weight made of Scandium & Stainless steel & came with a set of Uncle Mike Boot stock's on it. It was close to Valentine's day, so I Bought a Gift Bag, some tissue Paper and a box of chocolates and Gave it to my Wife as a Valentines day present. It remain's to be only Factory fired and sit's proudly on her Night stand next to our Bed. I Later added the Factory S&W Rosewood Boot atock's shown on it. Regards, The General

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc

DMc

Hello Guy's
You Guy's are Beting me up here as It was a miss-print on my Part. blush I Meant to say @ 100 Yard's this rifle shoots One hole groups. Let's Get back to the Kevin's post here about Rare or Interesting hand guns shall we ? here's one for you how about a First Year 1935 S&W Registered Magnum. S&W Offered these customer ordered Custom made hand built revolver's from 1935-1938. They were the Most elaborate gun ever made by S&W and had a retail price of $61.00 in 1935 ! This is one of only 720 Made in their first Year being 1935. By 1938 S&W dropped the Registration process and for the next couple of year's they called this very same gun The Non Registered Magnum. In 1940 Civilian gun sales stopped at S&W for the war effort, so these were not offered again until Post World War II time span. When they started producing them again they were a standard catalog revolver made on the assembly line, Not hand made gun's like these were before the War where Douglas Wesson had selected his Best Factory Gun smith's to build these Registered Magnums. These were a High Bred hand gun custom made and Tuned to the Buyer's specification's & There was a total of about 5500 of these Registered Magnums made in their four year Span. Most of the first year Registered Magnum's went to People of stature as Philip Sharpe, the developer of the Famous .357 Magnum round, J. Edgar Hoover, General George S Patton, Hollywood actor Jimmy Stewart and several other's. This one was Purchased by Charles W. Bowen the owner of the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting Good's company of Augusta, Georgia. He had written a Personal Letter to Douglas Wesson the vice president of S&W asking for a special reduced price on this gun as his store was & had been a Large S&W stocking dealer for many year's. Douglas Wesson replied as shown in the Original response below where he agreed to sell this gun to Charles Bowen for a price of $39.00 F.O.B. with one Box of Complimentary Winchester .357 Magnum ammunition. It was sighted in at 25 Yard with a dead center hold on Target using Winchester .357 Magnum ammo before it left the factory.

I spent Two full years researching this gun's History Trail, and here is how it all Unfolded. I Located the Grandson of Charles W. Bowen who Lives in Augusta, Georgia by Googling The Charles Bowen Name on the Internet it showed a Charles W. Bowen III still Living in Augusta, Georgia, so I Took a chance and called the Home phone number that I Had found for Charles W. Bowen III. An Older sounding woman answered the phone and I asked her if her Husband was a relative to The late Charles Bowen, who Owned & Operated the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting Good's store ? She said that her Husband was the Grandson of Charles W. Bowen then asked me if I would like to speak with him ? He answered the Phone and we spent an Hour at Least going over his family History. He shared many personal things with me while we had our conversation, and before I got off the phone with him I asked him if he would Mind Typing all that we Talked about ? He agreed to do it but wanted to see picture's of his Late Grandfather Gun, so I sent them off as soon as we got off the Phone, and he in return Typed up the Letter shown below in the Link to me to add to the Gun's History Trail as well as sent me several Family archive Photo's that are shown below. I had certainly Hit The Mother Load finding him as his Memory was "as sharp as a Tack" and he Loved Talking about his rich Family History and their Involvement of firearms He said that the Bowen Brother's sporting good's store started life in the Mid to Late late 1800's as his Great Grandfather used to make custom order Target Musket Loading rifles that were sold under the Trade name of Bowen-Rogers. later on, The Confederate Army chose Bowen & Roger's to standardize a caliber & to build and supply the Confederate Troop's for the civil War, His custom made Musket rifles are highly sought after today and a Rare find. He went on & shared with me that he was the last family member to have operate as the company President and run the Bowen Brother's Hardware & sporting Good's company of Augusta, Georgis which closed their doors in 1967, he is now in his late 70's. He said in the Late 1950's to Early 1960's time span, the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store under went a face lift and had an escalator installed to the second level of the store & a revolving automatic front door system installed during it's reconstruction , being the first store of it's Kind in the area to Offer these new inovations in that time span to offer it's Patron's. He sent me the personal family Picture's and Obituary of his Grandfather Charles W. Bowen shown below. I hope you enjoy this Information & Picture's as much as I enjoyed doing the research of my S&W 1935 Registered Magnum Regards, TheGeneral

My 1935 S&W Registered Magnum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a digital copy of the actual document where Charles W. Bowen was requesting a special reduced price from S&W and asking them what sight's would be a good choice on a 3-1/2" Barrel length Registered Magnum. He also "Stressed" that he wanted the new then Magna style stock's on it & S&W responding Telling him their choice would be a Patridge sight for his gun. In 1937 F.B.I. Agent Frank Baughman sent in a Mechanical drawing of his own special sight design which was a serrated elevated ramp style sight to reduce snagging when drawn from a Holster. S&W agrred to use his design and from there after The Baughman designed sight was the standard sight used on all short Barreld S&W revolver's which is still used today.

[Linked Image]

This letter is S&W's response to Charles W. Bowen offering his revolver for a special price of $39.00 delivered to his S&W stocking Sporting Good's store in Augusta, Georgia

[Linked Image]

Here is the Original factory Order build sheet Invoice that Charles W. Bowen filled out and returned to S&W to begine the Birth of his 1935 Registered Magnum hand gun with his specifications of what he wanted to be included on his revolver as well as what ammo was used and the distance & Hold on Target to sight it in at the factory, before it shipped to him. S&W used these Customer specification order form's when you Placed the order for your gun to be built by them. This was the Only Gun Ever offered by S&W that allowed the customer the Freedom to create his own personal option's Placed into a Registered Magnum hand gun. These were considered to be the Most Elaborate gun to have ever come out of S&W Then or since.

[Linked Image]

Here is the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store in the same time apan being 1935 as when my revolver was sent to Charles W. Bowen the Owner of the store. Notice the Early 1930's Vintage Ford Model-A Pick-up Parked out in front of the store that was used to deliver their good's to local customer's back then

[Linked Image]

Here is Charles W. Bowen shown with his Nephew Dudley Bowen, and Uncles to Charles W. Bowen III that supplied me with this and the Other Family Photographs. They are shown standing on the Loading dock in the rear area of the Bowen Brother's Hardware & Sporting good's store where my gun would have been brought to & Checked inwhen it was delivered to Charles W. Bowen 0n December 13, 1935. Perhaps' this was a Christmas Present to him self ?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/3bdeafb3.jpg[/img]

Here is the actual Obituary of Charles W. Bowen who ordered my 1935 Registered Magnum. He passed just 39 Month's after he received his gun from S&W. I Bought the gun while attending our annual Smith & Wesson collector's Meeting in 2009. The fellow collector that had it was from California. It was Not clear how the gun got from the East Coast to The West coast, but myself & Charles Bowen III have speculated that it was sold after his Grandfather's death in 1938 to a Mr Rodger's who was a Captain of The United states Army and stationed at The Augusta, Georgia arsenal. We Feel as when Captain Rodger's completed his service time in Augusta, Georgia he returned to his Native state of California taking with him my 1935-Registered Magnum.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/998336f0.jpg[/img]

Here is the Photgraph of how the Bowen Brother's Hardware & sporting good's store looked after it's Face lift in the early 1960's time span. They closed their door's for good in 1967 as the Big Box store's back then being Woolworth's, Sear's & Roebucks J.C. Penny, Western Auto and other's Pulled away much of their retail Business forcing them to close their doors for Good. Their store is still standing and is now home to Turner Entertainment Network of New's feed's being CNN and other Local syndicated new's feeds.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/7ff404be.jpg[/img]

An Original Augusta Time's Newspaper advertisement for Bowen-Roger's Guns back in the mid to Late 1800's time span.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/790012e4.jpg[/img]

This is the Typed Letter that Charles Bowen III agreed to send me. It is not hard to see that his family history was Heavily Involved with firearms. This Letter now resides with the rest of the documentation on my 1935 Regsistered Magnum. To me, this Facinating History of the Bowen Family, was the Icing on the cake in completing my revolver's History Trail. I am sure you have all Heard of the Phrase "If Gun's Could Talk" ? Well this One spoke volume's when I researched it and completed it's Rich Bowen Family History Trail ! To view it in it's original format simply Click on the Two Links below to read about The Bowen Family History of Guns.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Bowen_letter_Address_Cut.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF0691.JPG[/img]

General,

That's just awesome; congratulations.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was 20 Minute's down the Interstate when my Buddy called me that was set up next to this vendor. He wanted to know why I left there in such a Hurry? I told him what I had just scored from the vendor right next to him, and that he had No Clue of what he had just Traded me, so I had to get gone before someone else tried to educate him on what he really Gave up. Here they are on my 1935 Registered Magnum, and these are No doubt The Most Comfortable shooting stock's I have ever placed in my hand. Oh, & if you are wondering I had $35.00 in the set of Factory S&W Target stock's of which I Traded for these. wink Regards, The General

You squirrely devil you�but at least they were going to a very good home. And let�s say they were Herrett�s�I can�t imagine anyone liking the standard stocks over those; they�re stunning.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hello Kevin
Here is a Rare Gem. This is a S&W Model 632 Centennial revolver. I was set up at a gun whow Near Memphis, Tennessee with a Friend a couple of Year's. The show was Large but I had not seen anything come in the door that caught my eye. That was Until Early Sunday Morning. An Older Man had a S&W Leir-Sigler Era box Tucked under his arm & I could see it was of J-frame size. Before my Gun show buudy could ask, I asked him what he had in the box ? He said an Old S&W chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I asked if it was for sale ? He Nodded and handed it to me. He went on to say that he had Bought it brand new in 1989 but never shot it. He said that he was wanting a S&W chambered in the new then Federal .327 Magnum. I asked what his price was and he said "Exacly what I had to give for it in 1989". I then asked and what would that be ? He said $300.00 and not one Penny less. I couldn't get the Three Hundred Buck's out of my Wallet fast enough.

I had read about these but never seen one up close. They were a One year offering from S&W and Only 1000 of them were produced. It is an Air-Weight made of Scandium & Stainless steel & came with a set of Uncle Mike Boot stock's on it. It was close to Valentine's day, so I Bought a Gift Bag, some tissue Paper and a box of chocolates and Gave it to my Wife as a Valentines day present. It remain's to be only Factory fired and sit's proudly on her Night stand next to our Bed. I Later added the Factory S&W Rosewood Boot atock's shown on it. Regards, The General

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

One of my main pocket guns is a S&W 431 which is the hammered version of the same gun in a blued finish. Unfortunately mine isn�t a collector, it gets used and has a few nicks from that use. Unfortunately I've never had the financial luck to have guns that are pure collectors. I've had (and still have) some very rare and collectable guns in my day. Still have one of the rarest Winchester 94's in existence (only 10 known), and collector buddies all cringe when I take it out hunting...I get a rather perverse pleasure out of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's 3 or 4 Registered Magnums locally for sale. None have condition or provenance as nice as General Stuart's. Great find for him smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,911
Posts18,498,251
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.