Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7644292 04/12/13
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Would any of you frequent hunters of Africa get vaccinations for travel to Namibia? What about anti-malarial drugs?

I was there in July 2009 and had all kinds of Vaccinations per my Dr's advice and took an anti-malarial but it all appeared to be pointless in hindsight. Did not see a mosquito and did not get a single bug bite of any kind. My wife is going with me next time and I'm wonder if she needs to do any of it. I'm not.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It was all pointless for Namibia in July....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get Hep A -B is you haven't.

Update tetanus as needed.

Typhoid vaccine

Don't worry about malaria unless you co to Caprivi

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We went to SA and I believe we also got yellow fever shots. We did not get malaria shots as there can be bad reactions from the shots or pills and SA doesn't have malaria in the Limpopo provence. We also got Hep A and B and Typhoid shots.
Keep the records of shots with you when you travel so customs can see them if they need or want to.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
It was all pointless for Namibia in July....

Ingwe wants to remind everyone to get vaccinated so you don't catch the Gay. African gay is more serious. Leads to leopard print fetish. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

What would make you say a thing like that???

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They skipped the vaccine, obviously.

Totally preventable. Shame.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Malaria medication is not really necessary for going anywhere in Namibia except for the Caprivi during their winter. I personally would get every recommended vaccination possible.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rolly
We did not get malaria shots as there can be bad reactions from the shots

If you have knowledge of a "shot" for malaria, the Nobel Prize Committee would really like to know about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, okay. I mispoke. I meant pills rather than shots. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Rolly
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rolly
Okay, okay. I mispoke. I meant pills rather than shots. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

If you are talking about Lariam (mefloquine) that stuff drives some folks batschit crazy, enough to off their wife and bury her in a shallow grave out in an impact area on Ft. Bragg. Though some, and their spouses do okay.

ANY trip to Africa, or anywhere outside the US for that matter, WAY before you plan on leaving, like, at least six months prior, look up WHO (World Health Organization)'s website and find out what vaccinations they reccomend and also what they reccomend for malaria prohylaxis. Getting 4-5 immunizations at once is NEVER a good idea, sometimes one or more won't "take" (seroconversion). You also may have a long drive to get somewhere that has what you need, and it may be by appointment only. Yellow Fever for example. They won't crack a vial for one person, it is a multidose vial and typically is only done once weekly by appointment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thing about the yellow fever shot is its good for 10 years,

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yellow fever shot is also known as a broken arm shot, as it does smart some!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my yellow fever one afternoon and went back to work that afternoon tying rebar for a bridge. I was ok but the next day when we were pouring concrete I was weak and nautious to the point I pulled myself off the structure for fear I would become a part of the pour. Weak one more day then back to normal. I was no crazier than normal though.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah you do seem to get a fever and hot flashes the next few days. I also noted that.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,663
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.