Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know I am gonna get ripped here, but my last poulan lasted 11 years and I just bought a new one BUT I don't cut firewood, I just bust trails to the deer stands and clear shooting lanes.

I start my saw every month and let it run, while I run the boat motor in the yard at the same time.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We must be neighbors, practically. No surprise you need a saw right now after all the wind lately!
I bought the $260 Husky at Family Farm & Home on Plainfield, where they also service them, a few months ago. They matched Lowe's price for me.
I'm a backyard/homeowner-use type as well.
I had an oak with a 16" diameter base fall over. Though the saw isn't the most powerful one around, it made short work of limbing and cutting the tree to 16" lengths.
Use only alcohol free fuel (you can get it at the Mobil station at 10 Mile and Algoma), and buy the good chain/bar oil, not the recycled stuff.
PM me if you want to talk more.
Tony
(Near the high school)

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Husky makes the worst top handle saw you could buy. But if you want one I have a 338XPT lightly used $325 to your door. The MS200T rules the professional top handle market.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by passport
Im thinking about getting this saw, does anyone own one? My usage is pretty light duty. Like to get some thoughts before I pull the trigger.

thanks

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/435/

Hey passport, what are ya gonna use it for?

I don't want to muddy the water further but...

Have you ever used a top handle saw? My dad has been a pro arborist all his adult life and I think his fav saw in recent years is a top handle climbers saw. I kind of raised my nose at the sight of it some years back when he insisted on bringing it along on an elk hunt for firewood. long story short, it didn't take too long and I was also a big fan of the little saw.

I'm mentioning this because you can get into a T435 for another 25 bucks or so and it's a pro level saw that uses 3/8 chain, and it's nearly 2 pounds lighter than the homeowner 435 you originally posted.

Guys have been known to run 16" bars on these but I'd stick with a 14, otherwise what's the point in owning a compact saw?

Personally I'd love to have one of these for limbing or packing onto an atv, climbing etc. Would be a very handy camp saw and I would thing it would serve well as a homeowner saw as well.

just a thought.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/t435/#specifications

My use is clearing down trees on my hunting ground, clearing shooting lanes and matiance in ther woods around my home. I live on an oak ridge and Im always cutting back something but usually nothing big, most of the big stuff is handled as I have re-lanscaped the place over the last 2 years. The biggest tree I cut is maybe 16 inches in diamiter.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Think about this one, lighter and quieter than and Stihl or Husky ever built and is in your price range. I have one and use it for lighter work.

SAW

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
The MS200T rules the professional top handle market.

That's the one my old man has lol!

I love that saw!

Thanks for the heads up on husky lagging in the top handle world.

$309 msrp... Like they say, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is! lol!

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have used saw's all my life.Made a living with them.Husky was my choice as a sawyer/logcutter but Sthil is bullet proof.I own 4 now from the 46 to the little 171...Great saws and the new auto carbs that adjust to altitude,are amazing and work well.

If I had my choice now not sawing logs for a living,the Sthil is the only saw I would buy.I even use one on my Lewis chainsaw winch....

Jayco

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Missing is the two 395XP's one is being rebuilt the other my father is using to make some lumber out of logs I gave him. I have ran pretty much every professional saw out there. Husky is number 1 except for top handles Stihl owns that market.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
[Linked Image]

Notice the location of the handle on the MS200T. It is centered and lower then that of the 338XPT. Nothing balances better in the hand then the MS200T and for a little motor she puts out power all day long.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I see 3 stihl top handles there, one husky, it doesn't compare huh?

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not even close my friend.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm just a casual user, like I said, so please educate me on the advantages of different handle locations.
I do plan to clear a building site on the hunting land one day for a small cabin...

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good to know, I almost snatched up a TH jonny red a few years back..

2135T I think... but I didn't buy it

been kickin myself for not buying it, maybe i should stop kicking.

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My little Sthil 170 truck saw is a cutting son of a gun and it has a wrap around bar.I would never own a saw without one for what I use saws for....

Cut many a truck load of wood with this little saw.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
sourmash the MS200T feels like a well balanced extention of your arm. Very important when you are a climber. The Husky feels bottom heavy in the hand. This is due to the handle being higher up from the engine and also set back slightly from center.

Echo has copied the Stihl design and I know Husky had something in the works as a knockoff too. The MS200T has been replaced now by the MS201T which doesn't have the balls the MS200T does due to EPA crap. A brand new if you can find one MS200T sells for about $1K yes that is $1,000.00. Any of the three MS200T's I own I could sell for right now within five minutes for $600 to $650. All three I have been rebuilt twice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by logcutter
My little Sthil 170 truck saw is a cutting son of a gun and it has a wrap around bar.I would never own a saw without one for what I use saws for....

Cut many a truck load of wood with this little saw.
[Linked Image]

Logcutter the MS200T will cut circles around the 170. Is easier to handle, is lighter, and has more power. And that is without doing a Muffler mod to the MS200T.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check the price difference....I wasn't looking for a hot saw,just one to carry in the truck/atv for firewood and cost was important...If I want a better/faster/harder cutting saw,I'll use my O46...I use an O36 on my winch which works well.

I have some 40,000 hours on chainsaw's and now so I don't pay much attention to the new saws like I used to.Mine work just fine...

Used to be yoou could get a saw to cut logs logging for $600 tops,now,double that in a production saw.

My sons best friend is the Sthil dealer here and the new Sthils with the auto carb for altitude are interesting,to say the least.He says he hasn't got one back yet...Good sign.

Jayco

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Its not a "Hot" saw. Of course it cost more my point is that you get what you pay for. In the MS200T you get a compact, powerful, well balanced saw.

All of which are imporant features for both climbing and as a pack in saw.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/12/13.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,726
Posts18,475,896
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.