Print Thread
Hop To
G
GA270 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I recently acquired a 700 BDL .270 that I intend to restock with a McMillan with Edge fill. The rifle has a Lilja barrel in factory contour. I won't be carrying the rifle long distances. I have short fingers. Is there any major difference between these three stocks? Anyone think one is better than the others?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This really comes down to preference. Might you be able, or have you, to handle each stock type?

I have a Remington hunter for a 700 SA which I like quite a bit, and I have used several mountain rifle stocks, which I also like. Having said that I recently ordered a mountain rifle stock for my 700 LA.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be looking at the Remington KS pattern as I feel these are the best fitting and feeling stocks I've ever used.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you've got small hands, the Hunter might also rate a look. The Mountain Rifle might also fit your hand well, but it's sure best to handle them if you can.

DJ

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the Hunter's Edge myself

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless I'm building a light/mountain rifle, my McM stock of choice for the Remington 700 actin is the McMillan Hunter. This is the Sako/Tikka Hunter style with the narrow forearm that has been redesigned for the Remington 700 action. This stock may be a little heavier than some McM designs, but it is so well balanced that it doesn't feel heavy and it points the best of any McM stock, at least it does so for me.

EDIT: My perferred McM stocks are McM Hunter, if used with a magnum or heavier contour barrel, the mCm Mountain Rifle, if used with standard contour or lighter barrels, the Compact and the Classic. My least favorite McM stock is the Sporter, as the forearm is so wide and the pistol grip geometry is so oprn/shallow.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/16/13. Reason: Added comment
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the Classic myself.

[Linked Image]

I also have a Hunter's Edge on order (more than 5 months ago!).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DJTex
If you've got small hands, the Hunter might also rate a look. The Mountain Rifle might also fit your hand well, but it's sure best to handle them if you can.

DJ

Exactly. The Mtn Rifle pattern has the slimmest grip. But my favorite is the hunters edge. Hard to beat.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have large paws, the Sporter is an excellent feeling stock, but for modest dimensioned hands it may be a little big. I like the Classic for general purpose hunting and it has great lines to look at and to carry in the field--I've never been crazy about the Mtn Rifle.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A fella' with shorter fingers would be served pretty well by a Mtn. Rifle, I think. It's got a nice slim grip and is trim throughout, from ass-end to forearm. I like the one I've got a lot, and I don't have small hands. It's just a nice feeling stock.

If a dude had some huge dick-beaters, I think a Classic would be tough to beat. I really want to try the Compact, too.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mt Rifle, slim closed grip
Classic, thicker closed grip
Compact, slim open grip

If you've smaller hands, the Classic or Mt Rifle have the most closed grip with the Classic being the thicker of the two. Both are great patterns, I'd choose between those two based on if you like a cheek piece (Mt. Rifle) or not (Classic) and if you want the fuller forend of the classic or the slimmer forend of the Mt Rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Mt Rifle, slim closed grip
Classic, thicker closed grip
Compact, slim open grip

If you've smaller hands, the Classic or Mt Rifle have the most closed grip with the Classic being the thicker of the two. Both are great patterns, I'd choose between those two based on if you like a cheek piece (Mt. Rifle) or not (Classic) and if you want the fuller forend of the classic or the slimmer forend of the Mt Rifle.

Good explanation. But to make it even more difficult, the compact pattern with edge fill is called the hunter's edge.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, Hunter's Edge is Compact with edge fill, Compact is the Hunter's Edge with standard (or heavier) fill, and Who is on first.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.