Print Thread
Hop To
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

Whew..........there are a _LOT_ of scopes out there in the marketplace!!

Hypothetical question:

I'm shopping for my "perfect scope". I've narrowed the search down to 4 scopes that best meet my criteria.

How can I gather all 4 of these scopes together, in my possession, at the same time, and do a "hands-on" side by side comparison?

Thanks folks......

FjLee Denver CO

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Find people that own them.

I don't give a flying flip how pretty the picture is if they don't keep wires where they need to be.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fjlee
How can I gather all 4 of these scopes together, in my possession, at the same time, and do a "hands-on" side by side comparison?

Here are 3 options for you:

1) Go to a store that carries all 4 of them, then check them out. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Schnee's, Sportsman's Whorehouse... whatever you have in your area.

2) Find a kick-a$$ scope place (such as cameralandny.com , who are amazing folks, and also a sponsor of this site) that will let you return unblemished products (less shipping fees). Check out the scopes, then return the non-winners.

3) Or you could check out as many as possible that can be found reasonably close to where you live, without having it be a total pain in the a$$, then pick the one you like best. You'll end up with a good-enough scope, and dismiss the notion of having a "perfect" scope. This option will probably require you to stay away from forums like this one. grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say go to ur local retailer and just let the scopes speak for themselves. Most all your major brands have excellent warranty. Buy what looks best to your eye and don't look back

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I had the same dilemma about a month ago when I was looking at Leica scopes. In the end, I just called multiple dealers who normally carry them and asked for their opinion. Some gave an honest opinion and some just gave the "They have great glass" type typical response.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Just remember, some dealers are just salesmen, and don't know any more, or as much as you do. I'm in FC's camp.....get the prospects in your hands and fiddle with them yourself. You only have yourself to satisfy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking at scopes is kinda like looking at trucks...they may look nice in a showroom but the proof is in operating them.

So it goes with scopes and peeping through them, which is helpful but tells no more than half the story...the other half is how they do mechanically and I know no other way to test that than shoot a lot with them....which means getting opinions from people who actually shoot a lot,then lay down the folding green and have at it.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/15/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
the other half is how they do mechanically and I know no other way to test that than shoot a lot with them....which means getting opinions from people who actually shoot a lot,then lay down the folding green and have at it.
I think this is sound advice for brands or models a guy is not familiar with.

So first make sure the models your interested in are among the good reviews of people who have used them and don't have a list of short comings that annoy experienced people. You can find out by doing searches on optics forums like this.
Then, find these in a store to fiddle with. Unlike binoculars, you would not be able to return them after they are mounted and fired with ring marks on the tube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just pick the one that will fit on the rifle. Make sure the tube length is ok along with the eye relief etc. I have a half dozen old scopes waiting as back up.

I have been choosing scopes for 60 years and still use the first one I got in 1953. It's ok and the new ones are better.

What are those scopes that your looking at and what is the purpose of the scope and rifle?

If not sure on the brand get a Leupold variable. If you have money look at Kahles or Zeiss and avoid the Asian junk.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Savage_99
What are those scopes that your looking at and what is the purpose of the scope and rifle?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Thank you" for the responses, folks. I appreciate it.

I'm thinkin' about Nikon Monarch 3-12X42, Weaver Superslam 3-15X42, or Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42. Duplex reticle in all of 'em.

Don't know what rifle the new scope will go on, but it'll be a bolt action chambered for 30-06. It'll weigh more than 9 pounds, minimum, with scope. Preferably 10 pounds.

I hunt mule deer, elk, moose and antelope in the Western US states. Javelina, hogs, whitetail deer, nilgai, and Greater kudu in south Texas. Moose, bear, and caribou in Alaska. So far, I've gottem all except for the Kudu and a bear. Runnin' outta time on this planet..........

FjLee Denver CO

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of the ones you have mentioned my eyes prefer Nikon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hemi82
I had the same dilemma about a month ago when I was looking at Leica scopes.

I'm scope shopping and interested in what others are buying...what leica did you end up with?

Last edited by setch; 04/16/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
fjlee - of your three.....any of them. All great choices but of the three the Big Sky would get the first nod simply due to weight. 5 to 7 ounces lighter - unless you want the target turrets.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by kenjs1
fjlee - of your three.....any of them. All great choices but of the three the Big Sky would get the first nod simply due to weight. 5 to 7 ounces lighter - unless you want the target turrets.

kenjs1........."Thank you" for response. It's interesting that the 3 scopes are so similar that the final decision might be based on scope weight.

Referring back to my OP......it's seen that I'm not interested in a "light-wt." total rifle/scope/sling/ammo package. For what I'll do with this new scope, 10+ pounds for the "package" is fine......and what I'll strive for.

I wish I could be sure that a heavier scope meant better and more robust construction. But that's probably not an across-the-board fact of life. In light of your input, it's interesting that I indeed had wondered if I would ultimately choose the Weaver Superslam cuz it was the heavier of the 3 scopes under scrutiny.

Tnx again.............

FjLee Denver CO

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by hemi82
I had the same dilemma about a month ago when I was looking at Leica scopes.

I'm scope shopping and interested in what others are buying...what leica did you end up with?

I ended up with the 2.5-10ER with the #1 reticle. So far I really like the scope but have only taken it to the range a few times. The glass is a way better than any scope I have ever used (comparing to Leupold and Nightforce. I'm also liking the #1 reticle more than I thought I would. With the clarity of the scope its eaiser than I thought to aim at small targets, or small spots on paper so far.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well it is funny because if weight, or reticle, were not a concern I would probably go Weaver. I have a fondness for them as I find Weavers typically outperform their price. I have recommended Weavers and Nikon and Meopta and Leupold depending on the cost and application. Two scopes for my brother when he asked for help was a Grand Slam and more recently a Nikon with ballistic reticle I felt he would like better than the Leupold choices I tested. He has been well pleased with both. For my self- my last scope was a Vx-3 with B and C but reticle and weight was a definite factor. My Meopta has a terrific #4 reticle and I love it for that and its over all quality...but not its weight- so differnt rifle, different application...right scope!

I have owned a Sightron SII but that one particular model was notorious for awful eye relief and I found it unworkable for me. A Big Sky in a different config is a whole other beast. The SII was an attractive scope and tracked great and Sightron has a very good reputation there (as does Weaver).

Nikons rep was built more in brightness and glass more than tracking or eye relief.

All are very bright.

What I can say is that I have used several Weavers and each one tracked perfectly. More than that- the clicks were tactile and very positive on each of them. Consistently better than any other brand I have used except that the Meopta might be its equal. Others have been ok but a tad spongy and\or not quite as precise. Just from my limited personal experiences here.

If you are digging the Weaver then jump on it and feel confident it will be all you had hoped. It will impress you.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fjlee
Originally Posted by Savage_99

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Thank you" for the responses, folks. I appreciate it.

I'm thinkin' about Nikon Monarch 3-12X42, Weaver Superslam 3-15X42, or Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42. Duplex reticle in all of 'em.

Don't know what rifle the new scope will go on, but it'll be a bolt action chambered for 30-06. It'll weigh more than 9 pounds, minimum, with scope. Preferably 10 pounds.

I hunt mule deer, elk, moose and antelope in the Western US states. Javelina, hogs, whitetail deer, nilgai, and Greater kudu in south Texas. Moose, bear, and caribou in Alaska. So far, I've gottem all except for the Kudu and a bear. Runnin' outta time on this planet..........

FjLee Denver CO

Out of this list, your first choice would be the best. The Monarch is Nikons best rifle scope.
I own and use a Monarch 4-16x42 BDC, and it is a very nice scope.
I would put a Nikon Monarch, a big step over anything Weaver or Sightron.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

I would put a Nikon Monarch, a big step over anything Weaver or Sightron.

Glad you like your Monarch but...come on now. Kind of a blanket statement don't you think?

Gotta ask, how is the Monarch a "Big Step" up over "anything " Weaver or Sightron? As in immediately and noticeably superior? Constructions? Eye Relief? Brightness? Tracking? Weight? Reticle choices? Warranty? Durability? Controls? Universal review? Opinion of gun counter guy?

I am sure a ranking of those with experience in all three scopes would put certain features of one scope ahead and other features behind the other two but am quite certain the Monarch would not finish #1 in all categories by all users. Scope purchases are always trade offs and one has to balance all points, costs, & features and consider the rifle and application.

Here is one Fire discussion on some of these scopes: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/6019763/Second_Weaver_Super_Slam_Just_

In what areas do you agree or disagree and why?

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,860
Posts18,517,817
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.