Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 257wby
An adjustment in the market? Of course! A crash? Hardly.
And besides, what fundemental has changed that drove the last run? Nothing. The country is still broke and they are still printing money faster than it can be authorized. This is a buying opportunity.

Speculation of a coming rise in interest rates, mostly.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by 257wby
An adjustment in the market? Of course! A crash? Hardly.
And besides, what fundemental has changed that drove the last run? Nothing. The country is still broke and they are still printing money faster than it can be authorized. This is a buying opportunity.

Speculation of a coming rise in interest rates, mostly.
Problem is, the only thing keeping our phony economy on life support is near zero interest rates. Raise them, and the market goes into cardiac arrest.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It's already in cardiac arrest, Hawk.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gold Dives As Weak China Growth Spurs Latest Selling

By JASON MA AND TRANG HO,
INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
Posted 06:01 PM ET
4-15-13

[Linked Image]

A surprise deceleration in Chinese first-quarter growth added to signs of a weakening global economy, the latest reason to dump gold amid a bear market for the precious metal.

The world's No. 2 economy expanded by 7.7% in Q1 from a year ago, below expectations for 8% and Q4's 7.9% pace. The unexpected slowdown dampened hopes China is rebounding from a relative soft patch to help pull the rest of the world with it.

The news also comes as U.S. data have deteriorated, including job growth, retail sales and now housing. Homebuilder sentiment slid for the third straight time in April to a six-month low.

U.S. stock indexes fell sharply, led by miners. Gold tumbled $140.30, or 9.3%, to a two-year low of $1,361.10 an ounce. Oil, copper and other commodities fell hard on expectations for less demand, especially from China.

Gold fell last week on fears Cyprus and other indebted European countries will be forced to sell their gold reserves to meet bailout conditions.

Speculators are selling other commodities to cover gold margin calls, analysts said. The Shanghai Gold Exchange may hike gold and silver trading margins .

The stock market's prior robust gains have spurred a shift away from gold, analysts noted. While gold's correction could drive demand in China, India and other emerging markets, doubts remain about future buyers.

"Anyone who wanted it had bought it already," said Ed Carlson, founder of Seattle Technical Advisors. "At some point, no matter how fundamentally attractive an asset class is, there is just no one left to buy it."

Gold is selling off despite central banks in the U.S. and Japan creating massive amounts of money to inject in their respective economies. Lending in China is also ballooning.

Such stimulus had made gold attractive as an inflation hedge, but inflation has cooled or remained subdued recently. The latest decline in oil should contribute even more downward pressure on prices.

"Deflation is the keyword now, and all the talk of hyperinflation has gone out the window for now," Janice Dorn, a veteran gold trader, told IBD. "Until this changes, gold will continue to underperform."

China's March consumer prices rose 2.1% annually vs. 3.2% in the Lunar New Year month of February and 2% in January.

Industrial production in Q1 grew 9.5% annually, down from 10% in Q1 2012. Retail sales rose 12.4% vs. 14.3% a year ago, despite efforts to make the economy more reliant on consumption instead of investment.

While bank and non-bank credit more than doubled in March to a near-record high, real estate seems to be benefiting more than the real economy. Q1 property sales revenue leapt 61%.

Beijing has tried to stem real estate speculation, but the Chinese still have relatively few investment options, said Sung Won Sohn, an economist at California State University Channel Islands.

"There are too many vacant condos and office buildings," he said. "They surely have a real estate bubble."

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/economy/0...ur-latest-gold-selloff.htm#ixzz2QZgTbKSH
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is gold crashing? Historically happens when the dollar gets stronger. I do not see a strong dollar. Economists please explain.

Thanks,
Geo

Note: I will still buy gold.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Qtip
A day is coming when the only thing that will matter is whether you believe in Jesus Christ or not. Revelation will soon unfold before the eyes of the world and most will not even know it.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

even though i confess ... I'm not selling any gold.

.... like tears in the rain
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Geo...you might want to rephrase your question. Don't let the TW issue fluster yourself.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GeoW
Why is gold crashing? Historically happens when the dollar gets stronger. I do not see a strong dollar. Economists please explain.

Thanks,
Geo

Note: I will still buy gold.
You're right. There are no fundamentals driving the dive. It's pure emotion (started by a move by Goldman Sachs designed to spark just this sort of reaction, which helps them in two ways, 1) by driving folks back into the stock market, and 2) permitting the financials to scoop up gold at bargain prices). Take advantage. Eventually, when emotions stabilize, the fundamentals will reassert themselves.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Laffin...folks are losing their asses right now based on that silliness.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I know is that I'm gonna buy a bunch of gold just as soon as it gets back down to $300 an ounce again.

I'm still kicking myself for not doing it the last time.

I'm better when I move.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RISJR
Bob, I recommend you wait till gold reaches its very bottom, like $400.00. Don't be fooled when the dip slows at around $1200.00 and starts to reverse itself. Just a bump in the road. Wait till it reaches $400.00. And this is just for you. As for others at the Fire, buy now. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geo...you might want to rephrase your question. Don't let the TW issue fluster yourself.

Stop it Bob wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Let's see, gold has been THE standard of wealth since, well, the beginning of recorded history. I don't think it's going to become worthless overnight. This may be a "golden" oppportunity.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not been known as a gold bug, however, I'd rather carry a few pounds of gold as a few pounds of dollars at this point in time.

Guess it don't matter too much as you can't carry any of it with you!

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've not been known as a gold bug, however, I'd rather carry a few pounds of gold as a few pounds of dollars at this point in time.

Guess it don't matter too much as you can't carry any of it with you!
My will specifies that my gold, silver, and guns, get buried with me. grin

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Bob, I recommend you wait till gold reaches its very bottom, like $400.00. Don't be fooled when the dip slows at around $1200.00 and starts to reverse itself. Just a bump in the road. Wait till it reaches $400.00. And this is just for you. As for others at the Fire, buy now. grin

============

Still laffin...just last week you didn't know the difference between inflation and deflation.

The US won't stop printing money for another 2 years. Combined with China's financial woes and the clear financial strength of the Dow,I can't imagine anyone having any confidence in your Schiff copy and pastes.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An addendum to your will... GPS numbers please smile

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Still laffin...just last week you didn't know the difference between inflation and deflation.
Bob, if you believe that, I've got some land in the Everglades I'd like to interest you in. wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
An addendum to your will... GPS numbers please smile
grin Wouldn't you like to know. It will remain secret.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geo-caching? Common TRH, you can't take that stuff with you ... It may burn up smile

Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,967
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.