S
That figures, I'm par for the course...
<br>
<br>Buy high, sell low.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd of happily given 700 bones for mine. It works and well.
<br>
<br>
<br>Money WELL spent......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spike, let me know when you are ready to sell those 1200's low (grin).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GREAT link. That baby is in my favorites! Their price on the Leica 77APO spotter,is unreal.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
WOW.
<br>
<br>Leica 8X42 BN for 639.00!!!
<br>[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>Bill

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Glad to share the info. After reading the thread on the Bushnells, I started surfing for "LRF 1200" and stumbled across the site. It seemed like their prices are substantially lower than any other optics retailer I've seen.
<br>
<br>Now I am losing all my "excuses" for not buying a laser. Good range capability, reasonable size and price....and from all of the reports on the forum, the LRF 1200 will not dissapoint.
<br>
<br>Good Shooting, MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Watch out for Grey Market @ Hotbuys

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is the FIRST question I ask ANY optics retailer. A most valid point and always a legitimate concern. Grey market do not interest me.
<br>
<br>Great point................

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Hotbuys is the worst of worst. Just give them a call or better yet call Leica about them. Some of their stunts are:
<br>
<br>Do you want the German made Leica?, That one is $100.00 more. What about the case and strap? etc. etc.
<br>
<br>No lifetime unconditional warranty and no promise that what you get is actually made by Leica.
<br>
<br>If it sounds too good to be true..........
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welllll,I had visions of loveliness,for a while(grin).
<br>
<br>Whenever trading with a new outfit,I ask ALL the pertinent questions,I like everything in writing and have never been disappointed.
<br>
<br>There has been more than one time,when a printed Ad,or a Site,painted a picture that was much prettier than reality. That is why I very much like to order by phone,unless I'm trading with a firm I both know and trust......................
<br>
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I should add something.
<br>
<br>It is for the reasons mentioned prior,that I both trust Chris/SWFA and am confident in relating to others,those positive experiences(and great pricing).
<br>
<br>A man needs to be careful with optics,if not careful,you can most certainly get hosed...................
<br>
<br>

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the reality slap..
<br>
<br>MM

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
beltrack,
<br>
<br> I'm guessing "grey market" means the merchandise is not genuine?? Is that the case?? Is this common?
<br>
<br> Could someone fill me in on the extent of this grey market stuff?
<br>
<br>Thanks, MM
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. Actually, gray market stuff is EXACTLY the same merchandise that is sold outside of the US and therefore does not carry what is known as the "USA warranty." Meaning, if you have problems, you will have to pay to get the stuff fixed. This is important with some stuff, but not as important with others. For instance, the 90 warranty that comes with most camcorders. You may be better off getting a gray market item and a Mack warranty (Mack is a popular company that provides aftermarket warrantees).
<br>
<br>You also need to be careful of what is included with the unit. Gray market stuff may not include things like lens covers, cases, etc. that come standard with USA product. Some companies will duplicate the manufacturers warrantee on gray market stuff, but of course you'll need to send the stuff back to them to be fixed rather than take it to your authorized dealer.
<br>
<br>If you are buying the Leica rangefinder, I'd stick with USA warranteed product, since you'll never duplicate the lifetime Leica warranty. Think about the warranty as insurance and decide how much you are willing to pay for it, considering your investment.
<br>
<br>Also, be very wary of the company. I've had great luck dealing with B&H photo out of New York. They are up front about gray market vs. USA -- that was my first flag when I looked at a few products on the site you posted. Prices "too" good and NO mention of warranty. I don't like shady!
<br>
<br>I'd recommend that if you can get good prices from Chris, go with him even if you have to pay slightly more. B&H isn't as cheap as it used to be and I'd rather deal with a "friend."
<br>
<br>While I've heard stories about not getting the true thing you ordered with gray market, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Get info in writing. Leicas aren't made outside of Germany (as far as I know), so don't fall for the "German made version" garbage at an additional price.
<br>
<br>Likely, for $393 you are getting a rangefinder that is equal to anything you would get here, BUT it is without a warranty. If that's OK with you, then it's a great deal. Being Leica, they PROBABLY won't need service...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I talked to a Zeiss warranty service rep a few months ago who told me that if it's a genuine Zeiss, he'll service it no questions asked. He said he figures you spent a small fortune for it no matter where you bought it, and a Zeiss is a Zeiss is a Zeiss.
<br>
<br>He also sent me a rubber eye protector and a magnification ring adjuster (also a small rubber piece) for free.
<br>
<br>He's been there eight years, and I get the feeling he's truly like the Maytag repairman.
<br>
<br>Something to consider, anyway.
<br>
<br>If I could save enough on the gray market stuff, I would do it. But that's me.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick,
<br>
<br>That's pretty interesting. I've always wondered how extensively different companies tracked serial numbers...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ric, both the 800 and 1200 Leica rangefinders are "assembled" in Portugal from parts made in various places, though mostly Germany. That's how German companies are offering stuff for lower prices these days, by avoiding as much of the German high wages as they can. The Zeiss Conquests, for instance, are assembled over here, while the Zeiss Diafun binocular (not very good) is put together in Hungary, I believe.
<br>
<br>I don't know how the Leicas are making it into the grey market but suspect they're probably "seconds," with some sort of cosmetic flaw that doesn't affect performance. Most of the seconds on the market are like that, including the bullets Nosler sells in plastic bags in their retail shop in Bend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i did order one time a vidio camera from these guys in new york. it was $300.00 cheaper than the cheapest one i found. it took 3 weeks to get the camera even though i paid $85.00(that's eighty five dollars for shipping and handling) when it arrived i didn't get the extra battery i ordered($149.00 value) and i got a generic battery with the camera itself(not the one supplied by sony) so if you do your calculation i lost $149+$75(original battery)+$70 shipping and handling($85.00 minus $15.00 for actual shipping) that's come out to $294.00. when i called them to ask for the extra battery and the original one that comes with the camera, i got the running around for 25 minutes(they don't have 1 800 #for customer service)do you know what was their answer was when i finally got hold of someone there? send it back and you'll get your money minus shipping and handling and minus 25% restocking fee that alone would have been $460.00 by itself. so guys pay the extra money and buy from outfitters like swfa because you know chris will take care of you if the a problem arise.
<br>
<br>by the way chris is a friend of mine but he doesn't sell cameras,
<br>
<br>just my 2 cents
<br>
<br>sam

Last edited by sambo; 07/22/02.

we didn't get to the top of the food chain
to eat salad.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Good scoop guys, thanks. I was blissfully ignorant of this grey market until now.
<br>
<br>MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.