Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Story is here.

I'm not very happy about their compromise, but it could have been much worse.

Here is the pre-ramble:
In February, the Boy Scouts of America embarked on the most comprehensive listening exercise in its history to consider the impact of potential changes to its membership standards policy on the organization and gather perspectives from inside and outside of the Scouting family. This review created an outpouring of feedback from the Scouting family and the American public, from both those who agree with the current policy and those who support a change.
Scouting's review confirmed that this remains among the most complex and challenging issues facing the BSA and society today. Even with the wide range of input, it is extremely difficult to accurately quantify the potential impact of maintaining or changing the current policy. While perspectives and opinions vary significantly, parents, adults in the Scouting community, and teens alike tend to agree that youth should not be denied the benefits of Scouting.
In May, the National Executive Committee is asking its approximately 1,400 voting members to consider a proposed resolution that would remove the restriction denying membership to youth on the basis of sexual orientation alone and would maintain the current membership policy for all adult leaders of the Boy Scouts of America. The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting.

Here is the Proposed Membership Standards Resolution:
WHEREAS, it is the mission of the Boy Scouts of America to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law:
Scout Oath

Scout Law
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
And to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
Mentally awake, and morally straight.

A Scout is:
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind

Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

AND WHEREAS, duty to God, duty to country, duty to others, and duty to oneself are each a core value and immutable tenet of the Boy Scouts of America; and
WHEREAS, the Scout Oath begins with duty to God and the Scout Law ends with a Scout's obligation to be reverent, and that will always remain a core value of the Boy Scouts of America, and the values set forth in the Scout Oath and Law are fundamental to the BSA and central to teaching young people to make better choices over their lifetimes; and
WHEREAS, the vision of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law; and
WHEREAS, for more than 103 years, programs of the Boy Scouts of America have been delivered to youth members through cooperation with chartered organizations that select adult leaders who meet the organization's standards as well as the leadership standards of the Boy Scouts of America; and
WHEREAS, numerous independent experts have recognized that the programs protecting Scouts today, which include effective screening, education and training, and clear policies to protect youth and provide for their privacy, are among the best in the youth-serving community; and
WHEREAS, the current adult leadership standard of the Boy Scouts of America states:
The applicant must possess the moral, educational, and emotional qualities that the Boy Scouts of America deems necessary to afford positive leadership to youth. The applicant must also be the correct age, subscribe to the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty to God), and abide by the Scout Oath and the Scout Law.
While the BSA does not proactively inquire about sexual orientation of employees, volunteers, or members, we do not grant membership to individuals who are open or avowed homosexuals or who engage in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the BSA.
AND WHEREAS, Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether homosexual or heterosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting; and
WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America does not have an agenda on the matter of sexual orientation, and resolving this complex issue is not the role of the organization, nor may any member use Scouting to promote or advance any social or political position or agenda; and
WHEREAS, youth are still developing, learning about themselves and who they are, developing their sense of right and wrong, and understanding their duty to God to live a moral life; and
WHEREAS, America needs Scouting, and the organization's policies must be based on what is in the best interest of its young people, and the organization will work to stay focused on that which unites us, and
WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America will maintain the current membership policy for all adult leaders of the Boy Scouts of America, and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
The following membership standard for youth members of the Boy Scouts of America is hereby adopted and approved, effective Jan. 1, 2014:
Youth membership in the Boy Scouts of America is open to all youth who meet the specific membership requirements to join the Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Sea Scout, and Venturing programs. Membership in any program of the Boy Scouts of America requires the youth member to (a) subscribe to and abide by the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law, (b) subscribe to and abide by the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty to God), and (c) demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others and is consistent at all times with the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law. No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The next time they cave in, it will be worse. The gays are only going to be happy with this for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 04/19/13.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
That's right, Theo. Their strategy for decades has been incrementalism. Take as much as they can get, fortify their position, then go on the offensive for even more.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

The next time they cave in, it will be worse. The gays are only going to be happy with this for about 5 minutes.

Quite right, the homosexual activists are never satisfied, just like the anti-gun maniacs they will never stop asking for more.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The camels nose, the frog in the boiling water,,, the incremental degradation of our culture. typical communist tactic, two steps forward , one step back. they won't be happy until they have destroyed every vestige of manhood our country holds dear. I feel sorry for our youth.

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Snotwad
The camels nose, the frog in the boiling water,,, the incremental degradation of our culture. typical communist tactic, two steps forward , one step back. they won't be happy until they have destroyed every vestige of manhood our country holds dear. I feel sorry for our youth.

A BIG +1

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who wants to bunk with the [bleep]?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that they allow openly [bleep] boys in, of course they'll have to implement "anti-bullying" training (i.e. homosexual brainwashing).

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing like a true game of smear the queer when the troop leaders aren't around.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Actually, Barry, the resolution has not been adopted yet. They will be voting on it next month.

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BarryC
Now that they allow openly [bleep] boys in, of course they'll have to implement "anti-bullying" training (i.e. homosexual brainwashing).

Yes, but look at the bright side...your grandson will be able to get his lovely pink gay-day honour badge for completing the course.

And the Girl Guides will be able to implement the Lick-lite badge for fellowship toward others.

This is not the future I want...I want my world back!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a mainstay of Team R.

Sounds good if parroted in the same sentence as "lessor of two evils" and "a vote for 3rd party is a vote for the communist".

Why strive for excellence when mediocrity is the flavor of the day?

I have to wonder if homObama influenced this decision, some high ranking cardinal, or just some run of the mill can't we all get along appeasing make a deal with the devil reach across the aisle'r.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

I have to wonder if homObama influenced this decision, some high ranking cardinal, or just some run of the mill can't we all get along appeasing make a deal with the devil reach across the aisle'r.

First of all, the OP is an idiot. The word "the gays" is lower case. Do you want to elevate their importance? Second, Obama is straight and the more homophobic you are, the more suspect you are of double dipping, or even having your wife or gf as a beard. Third, there have always been homosexuals in the BSA - why else would some of these creepsters, looking back at when I was in scouting and too naive to be suspicious, want to be around young kids if they aren't married and/or don't have kids. Fourth, for some of you ultra-conservatives who think religion can do no wrong, you can also look at the clergy in the Catholic church, where people can join up to be legitimized and above suspicion. That's a problem, too, and the parishioners got stuck holding the bag for the big payouts some dioceses needed to make. Again, another messed up post by another dimwitted Neanderthal who has to pull Obama even into this. Both are scary - 100% liberals and 100% conservatives. What this country needs more of is middle-of-the-road, middle class regular people who can pick and choose their battles and less of some of the white trash who keeps harping on the SAME issues and lassoing the President into these threads. Morons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of [bleep]...not you again.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hey Clinkster, you seem to zero in on my posts rapidly. I'm flattered. And you live in a big metro area, too, out of the "Deliverance" zone. Keep up the good work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've been away. Did you enjoy your date?

[Linked Image]

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ColKlink
You've been away. Did you enjoy your date?

Nah, I've been around. I just wanted to see what "douche bag central" had to say about the wrapping up of the Boston manhunt. I figured it would be both stupid and off-base, and it was. This place is more reliable than the sunrise.

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gay scouts and even gay leaders have been around in scouting for years... the situation has always policed itself...

it has been a combination of the old " don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing...

The other thing is that the gays in scouting, are not the ones that wear it like some sort of badge of honor like the ones pushing for this agenda do...

As the Trainer for our Scout Troop on youth protection, I am sure there will be a new set of rules and guidelines coming forth on how they want us to handle this, via the legal dept.
These type of groups try to undermine scouting, by continually tying up resources that could be spent on the Boys.

This isn't really a new problem, so much as just changing the dimension and dynamic of it.. if they leave it still up to the local sponsoring unit.. that protects BSA.. and requires all of these gay rights 'activists' to diffuse and start having to sue a zillion local churches and companies...

keep in mind also that 60% of ALL Scout troops are sponsored by the Mormon Churches...

our troop is sponsored by a local Catholic Church's Knights of Columbus... so I don't see our troop having to deal with it very much... in the past we have had a few parents that were gay, but didn't make the knowledge public... 'bragging about it'..

the type that "Brag about it" are what these gay activists want into scouting..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Speaking of [bleep]...not you again.

what was this homo's previous handle again?

just want to draw the proper correlation.. and not accuse anyone falsely..

makes one wonder why these type of threads always attract these type of guys....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (117LBS, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,494,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.