Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It seems to me that a couple of years ago the NRA and many gun owners were proposing a universal backgound checks bill and law that would have closed the so called and over hyped gun show looophole but not messed with gun shows and such by giving EVERY ONE access to the NICS system or with a one time NICS check that provided all qualified gun buyers with a picture ID card that allowed them to make any gun purchase from then on without haveing to wait etc. And no paper trail on the gun or purchase.

Would you support one of these ideas? If not whay not and what system WOULD you support that would weed out those who should not be able to make a gun purchase from doing so? How, in your mind, can this be done - or can it- without infringing on our rights or screwing up gun shows etc?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you support one of these ideas?

What part of "No" don't you guys understand?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nope. I feel everything is in place.

As long as political motives keep unlawful practices from being enforced, I'm not about supporting anything that is going to be intruding on my "free exercise thereof"....

Its time for "common sense" enforcement.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We cannot give the antiguncocksuckkers anything they would consider a victory. It will only encourage them to try and pass more crap on the road to their dream of law abiding citizens not being allowed to own any type of gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
safariman, in the Harkin Amendment there was a provision for creating a federal internet portal where a person could do a background check only on themselves and print off a 30 day permit, complete with serial number and ability to verify the permit is valid via phone. No records are kept or communicated about who prints off their background check permits.

I would support that as a purely voluntary method of background check - especially if it could be used to allow a person to buy firearms from private sellers out of state. As a seller, if you're selling to somebody you don't know - simply ask them to do the free background check on themselves and you can validate it. No records kept of firearms transfer, no permanent records kept that the person got the background check, and seller can be sure the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

I'm NOT in favor of the federal government mandating ANY requirements for background checks between private sellers in the same state. They simply have no authority to legislate that.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cal, it sure would be nice if the proposed language just said so in Plain English, would it not?
I dropped a note on Volokh and Kopel, hopefully there will be an analysis forthcoming from those with a proven clue.
But color me suss pisch ee yusss.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've sometimes considered that backgrouns checks on everyone might work.

Everyone would be checked when they renew their license. Every driver's license in the country would simply say "Eligible to possess firearm?" and then yes/no. Everyone would have that line on their license, regardless of whether or not they wanted to own a gun.

44henry

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If a felon/psycho. can't be trusted with a gun in public they shouldn't be allowed out of prison/psych ward, period.

Back ground checks are nothing more than an acknowledgment of the failures of the prison system and psych. industry to rehab. their wards.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
44henry, I don't like that as a mandatory field - too prejudicial against prohibited persons. Remember that you have to provide a DL every time you apply for a job. But I've thought it's not a bad option as an optional field. If a person chooses to have it printed on their DL, let them. Since it's state validated and is issued every 5 years or less than it would count as a background check within the state.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just enforce existing laws. Sweep the inner cities for gang bangers carrying illegal guns and do something about them instead of the revolving door. There are many thousands of teenage gang members packing illegal guns. Start locking them up for their crimes and see how fast gun crime decreases.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
NO! We have Form 4473. The "gun show loophole" is overblown bullshit.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SBTCO
If a felon/psycho. can't be trusted with a gun in public they shouldn't be allowed out of prison/psych ward, period.

Back ground checks are nothing more than an acknowledgment of the failures of the prison system and psych. industry to rehab. their wards.

I do agree with you on that SBTCO.

44henry

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster

We don't have form 4473 for private sales.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the people not the tool used. Remember about 13% of the population commit roughly half the murders in this country.

Facing the truth isn't always easy.

No gun law including the GCA of 1968 have reduced crime or murder.

Wake the [bleep] up people

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
It seems to me that a couple of years ago the NRA and many gun owners were proposing a universal backgound checks bill and law that would have closed the so called and over hyped gun show looophole but not messed with gun shows and such by giving EVERY ONE access to the NICS system or with a one time NICS check that provided all qualified gun buyers with a picture ID card that allowed them to make any gun purchase from then on without haveing to wait etc. And no paper trail on the gun or purchase.

Would you support one of these ideas? If not whay not and what system WOULD you support that would weed out those who should not be able to make a gun purchase from doing so? How, in your mind, can this be done - or can it- without infringing on our rights or screwing up gun shows etc?

Maybe it's late at night and I'm just grumpy from all the bad news lately, but how many wacko's end up with their gun of choice from a purchase? Or, like Sandy Hook, get them from someone else, or steal them? Criminals don't buy from a dealer and do background checks, and yet they get a gun if they want one. Any new gun law short of the full blown deal isn't going to do squat to anyone (but us).

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Craigster

We don't have form 4473 for private sales.

Correct, and we can't/don't/won't ever be able to effectively control the private sale of firearms, or anything else for that matter.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never proposed controlling it.. I pointed to a voluntary self background check that seller and buyer could use if the seller was worried about the buyer. Right now if a seller has a doubt about a buyer, the only thing he can do is to refuse to sell. Here's a way for the buyer to reassure the seller with no gov't involvement or records.

ESPECIALLY if it would legally allow a guy to buy at least rifles/shotguns across state lines from a private seller.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ESPECIALLY if it would legally allow a guy to buy at least rifles/shotguns across state lines from a private seller.

There's that "allow" word. smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44henry
I've sometimes considered that backgrouns checks on everyone might work.

Everyone would be checked when they renew their license. Every driver's license in the country would simply say "Eligible to possess firearm?" and then yes/no. Everyone would have that line on their license, regardless of whether or not they wanted to own a gun.

44henry

I've also thought about that. Some form of check on everybody and not just those who want to buy guns. It could be indicated on the drivers license and be checked every time you renew the license. The government would not know who was actually buying a gun and a seller could easily check before selling.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
How about "American Citizen? Yes? Ok, it's your right, you can buy and posess whatever you want"

Good enough for me. It's not like you need a background check to excercise any other rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.