-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am considering adjusting the parallax setting on a spare scope I have so as to be able to use it on an air gun. To be usable it would need to have a clear depth of field of about 10yds to 50yds. I'm guessing setting the parallax for 25yds would be a good starting point. I believe the depth of field is dependant on focal length (?) similar to adjusting the f stop on your SLR camera (true?). So, the question is how can I determine if the adjustment is feasible beforehand? Can someone give me a formula?

Thanks in advance for any help.
HillBill1

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can't keep your chops bolted to the same spot on the handle,A/O is the way to fly...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The f stop in a camera lens has to do with the aperture, the "light throttle" so to speak. I don't believe it changes the focal length, but a smaller aperture will allow a greater depth of field.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Get an airgun scope. The back and forth mechanics on an airgun are different than a rifle, and they will destroy a regular rifle scope in short order. I know it sounds odd because airguns are so mild, but that is what my research led me to conclude (not having trashed a scope myself). The Leupold 3-9x EFR is a a good choice, and Bushnell makes some sub-hundred dollar AO air rifle scopes. They are all adjustable down to 10m.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In full agreement with Stick....get an AO. You will not be happy otherwise.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get an airgun scope. The back and forth mechanics on an airgun are different than a rifle, and they will destroy a regular rifle scope in short order. I know it sounds odd because airguns are so mild, but that is what my research led me to conclude (not having trashed a scope myself). The Leupold 3-9x EFR is a a good choice, and Bushnell makes some sub-hundred dollar AO air rifle scopes. They are all adjustable down to 10m.

Please take this advise. I tried to convince a buddy of this, but noooo....!! His Schmidt and Bender was "german bad-a$$ optics" and if it could handle his .338 no puny rws airgun could do it harm. Well, after a short time, the "german bad-a$$" glass went kaput. Don't learn the hard way!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
'Tis true - the recoil of a spring-air rifle is forward, not backward as with a normal firearm. This severe jolt forwards will quickly destroy a standard scope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The advise about an air-gun scope is right-on the mark however to answer you question about focus.

If you want something to be in focus (call it the zone of focus) from 10 yards to 50 yards the most exact focus will be at a spot much closer to 10 yards than it will to 50 yards. There may be a formula for it but I don't know what it is but what I told you is a good rule of thumb that works.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.