Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Todd:

Sounds like fun. My advice? Ditch the foam. I've seen the video of the station nightclub fire and it is NOT PRETTY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

Foam caught on fire and instantly choked the whole club in smoke. The ventilation fans you're describing are NOT UL listed for smoke exhaust. They will fail and your basement will fill with smoke....QUICKLY.

Everything else sounds awesome.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Todd,

You don't need to line the RCP with eggcrate foam. Just put some sort of noise barrier up on the wall you are shooting through and keep the shooting port as small as possible but still functional. The soil in which the RCP is buried will absord the sound the oinly noise will be from your vents to the outside. The insulated wall/shooting port will cut down but not eliminate the sound in your shooting room. You will still need hearing protection. How do I know this? I have a friend with a 100 yd underground range. You are lucky to be able to dig yours in. He had to blast rock to intall his and it is 72" CMP.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
Ask Saeed over on www.accuratereloading.com about lighting and bullet traps etc. I believe his shooting lab has one that is 100m or so.

Brent

Saeed uses sand for his trap. Can't imagine where he gets that.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It's great you don't have to deal with OSHA, but how about
state regulatory agencies and county zoning commissions? Have
you checked out all that? Might be a good idea to get a lawyer
to do a thorough search, for a reasonable (and pre-negotiated)
fee.

Just sayin'....

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you everybody for your input and ideas! As I said earlier, I'm out of town for work until mid May, so no new pictures. A real bummer that I'm missing out on all the progress.

The egg crate foam inside the tube will be nixed. We are installing a 1500 cfm attic fan on the target end that will be switched in the vault. I just can't imagine that not being enough air exchange to keep things clear and healthy!?! Maybe I'm wrong?? We'll see I guess!!

Everything is on the legal up and up. I guess I kinda thought that there would be a few headaches in putting this in, but there were no legal issues at all. I'm putting in an acre pond/lake on the property as well. That is were all the headaches and regulatory BS raise their ugly heads!! It will be well worth it though to step out my door and be able to cast a fly line for my own trout!!

Once I get back home I will post more pictures. The pond should be started by then too.

Todd

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Todd,

You are making me envious!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Terribly sorry...

Todd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Todd,

As ArkyPete says make sure that the flow of air is from the firing point to the target...

I would use a fan to suck air into the fault and then another fan to blow it it out at the target end...

I would also consider having an access point at the target end as well; it would obviously need to be lockable but putting decent steel doors shouldn't be difficult at this stage of the construction..

Regards,

Pete

M
M
I plan on buildng an underground shooting range near the city we are moving by, I will have it under my my shop/gun store, I plan on using multiplte sea contianers for the structure ,end to end 6-50foots will give me 300ft/and a 40foot cross way under the shop to work as an entrance and actually shooting bench area that way I have option of digging in other "lanes" if this idea catches on like I hope it will!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you don't have any access to the far end, it might be hard on the knees crawling back and forth for lead mining expeditions once you start filling in your tunnel... wink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Ventilation will be your biggest challenge.

Our newest police station put an underground range in, it took them a year to get the ventilation right.

Government - they are idiots. I worked for the State of CA, what they thought was impossible most of us could do with a pen knofe.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag for future reading

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
A few more pictures...progress has been slowed just a bit, trying to wrap up the detached garage/men's crisis center. It will actually be more like a nice living room that you can park a car in when finished. It also has a fun bath room and a loft, so it could be used as a "mother in law" suite if need be.

[Linked Image]

[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/bigskyguy72

Todd - from your 2d picture, it appears the pipe slopes back into your room. If so, I hope you've run a drain out.

Mark

/NewHouse025.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be gone with work for six weeks starting on the 13th. I'm gonna miss all of the progress on the house. Bad timing, but what do you do?

More to follow, but it could be awhile...

Todd

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like your pipe provides access to your safe room. Your going to need a second safe door.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.