Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My first 4 centerfire rifles were Remington 700's, started in 1969 with BDL .270, then a BDL Varmint Special .222, Then a 700C .25-06, a cheap WalMart .243 which I sent to GAP as a doner action, then another cheap WalMart .243 for my daughter. Starting with the WallyWorld guns, they just weren't the same as the old ones, but that horse has been beat to death here for quite a while.

ANYWAY, I don't like my AR, so I bought this new 700 5R Milspec, 20" threaded barrel, 9 twist .223, for a walkin varmint and FTR mid-range gun.

Well, when I took it out of the box, it was filthy, don't know why Remy let's em leave like this but I took the barreled action from the stock (which I think I;m the only one who really likes it) cleaned it all off, little light oil and screwed it back together. Action is rough, as expected, the Xmark trigger is quite nice at a creep-free, crisp 4#'s. Way too heavy for me but it is externally adjusted, I'll read up how and then get it as light as I can. The bottom metal, is some cheap alloy.

I'm gonna load up some rounds tomorrow, 69gr SMK's with several powders. I'll shoot it "as-is" see if it has potential. My list of do-dads include, if needed.

1. Jewell Trigger
2. skim-bed or at least the recoil lug
3. Bolt knob
4. Flute bolt
5. Cerakote metal
6. flute barrel
7. Replace fugly threaded muzzle cap with a plain one or add a muzzle brake.
8. If it won't shoot worth a chit, I'll order a new custom barrel and have a $1,000 doner gun. Stay tuned....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great rifle 16 shots through mine and it already groups almost one hole! 175 Sierra MK with Varget. I have 168 on the way as well. Other than the trigger great rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is nice

Tater
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
hope so, I couldn't go another $4000 custom, too rich for my blood these days

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My most accurate rifle right now. I will replace the trigger and call it good!

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bet it shoots as good as you can. What's wrong with an x mark trigger? On the GAP website today I believe it's std on them and if it's good enuf for Georges guns why wouldn't it be good enuf for yours? NO BS intended but I do tend to ask straight questions for real answers. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just preference. Everyone has an opinion. I prefer a Rifle Basix. I can pre order it a set weight which in this firearm will be in ounces not lbs. I think Remington states 1-3 lbs adjustable don't quote me on it? I have never been a fan of the external screw which I have heard but can't verify that it has fallen out of some rifles or worked loose, not really a problem that loctite or nail polish couldn't fix. I was not a big fan of my last X mark trigger in my SPS model and had sold it on here. I will put this one up for sale as well when I replace it. Does it make it a bad trigger, No. Yes some do really like them, just don't work for me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My 5R in 308 is a great shooter and I've only shot "stock" handloads so far, nothing custom tuned.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a dicks special heavy barrel ask style in .223 a few years ago and stuck a 6.5-20 weaver scope on it. It was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Just too damned heavy for my uses

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I just messed with the trigger. Like I stated, it is VERY good, BUT. I "adjusted" it lighter till the set screw fell out, lowest pull weight it would go is the 4#'s it came with. I'm going to put a Rifle Basix or Jewell (whichever one i can find) Set it at 1.5# to match the RB on my custom 7mmWSM.

I personally need a light trigger when shooting groups. as I squeeze, the harder the pull the more I tend to jerk it anticipating the break.

So far I love the gun. action is a little stiff, but she's fresh out the box.

I laoded up some rounds this morning. I will be sure to post range report.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My friend and I send the Remington 700's (and a bunch of other stuff) out and have a heavy recoil lug installed, the firing pin bushed, the bolt double sleeved, the lugs fitted and the action timed. Without the bolt raceway being reamed and the bolt sleeved, the top locking lug will never touch the action lug while cocked. When fired that introduces quite a bit of vibration when it drops. Still, a lucky draw of a Remington 700 will shoot amazingly well. Check this guy out if you really want additional work done right: http://www.gretanrifles.com/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You might try the other weight screw as well. Or buy one of Ernie's spring kits:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i173.html

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Cool I'll check em out. Thanks for the suggetions all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see no one has mentioned free floating the bbl, so I'm assuming this model comes with a free floated barrel?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I see no one has mentioned free floating the bbl, so I'm assuming this model comes with a free floated barrel?

Yep and I bet its impressively accurate out of the box. For the X-mark triggers I'm not a fan either. They can be adjusted but I just don't like the feel of the little screw touching my finger. I think you can't beat a well tuned factory old style but the aftermarket ones are just as nice and easier to adjust. Fwiw I hate the accutrigger too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't realize the barrel looked so funky on these. That taper at the end is just odd. I had a vssfII in 223 that was crazy accurate. If you decide to build off of your rifle I'd be happy to give any of your takeoff parts a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a 1.5 pound Rifle Basix trigger on mine and it was good to go.I use TAC with the 68gr Hornady or the 69gr SMK its one tiny group after another.I dont think I have ever heard of one that didnt shoot extremely well.

B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
28lx, good news, I hope so. I have Tac and the 69's I loaded some with Varget and VV540, have RE-15, XBR8082, AA2520 to try.

The barrel is funky, I am impressed by the crown, it is very sharply cut. I will probably have some type of flash hider built. I would like a suppressor but I think the cost is outragous for these things, plus the wait and government crap.

Going bass fishing this weekend (Lake Fork), hope to shoot it next if the Texas wind will cooperate, range report will follow with pics of groups.......small ones I hope ;-)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.