Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know from reading your posts that you are gemologist and watchmaker.

I have a question...

How often does an automatic watch need to be serviced and what needs to be done? I wear daily a Hamilton Viewmatic with an ETA movement. I've had it for about four years and it keeps perfect time but I want to make sure I give it the care it deserves as I really like it and want to wear it for many years to come.

Thanks!

Last edited by ColKlink; 04/22/13.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
btt

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boil it in oil once a week.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have my auto wind Omegas E Benz, Bell&Ross and others serviced every 5 years.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColKlink
I know from reading your posts that you are gemologist and watchmaker.

I have a question...

How often does an automatic watch need to be serviced and what needs to be done? I wear daily a Hamilton Viewmatic with an ETA movement. I've had it for about four years and it keeps perfect time but I want to make sure I give it the care it deserves as I really like it and want to wear it for many years to come.

Thanks!

I didn't realize you could tell time. smirk

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Col,

Personally, I run my Rolex until it stops or begins running erratically. Obviously, we would never do that with an automobile, but there are reasons why I would recommend this.

First, we've been using synthetic oil in timepieces since the early-1960s. I've been told that synthetic oil will run for an unlimited term, if not contaminated.

Previous to that, we ran natural oil of some type (sperm whale or mineral) and they eventually deposited a form of shellac on the jewels. My father became an apprentice watchmaker in 1929 and at that time it was recommended to "clean" a watch every year. The organically-based oil broke down in one to two years use and the watch needed to be both washed in a cleaning solution and the oil replaced. Some of the cleaning agents caused leukemia ... guess what my Dad died from???

The synthetic oil does not break down unless it is either contaminated with water or "junk" (skin dander, fuzz ... you would not believe the stuff I have seen in watches grin). If the watch is well sealed; tight crystal, good back gasket and a well-fitting crown gasket, you can get lots and lots of years out of a service.

The most powerful of watch mainsprings create less than one-millionth of a horsepower, so when the oil is dicked (a technical term grin), the watch will stop. Or if the oil increases viscosity, from certain types of contamination, it will get into the mainspring. This effectively shortens the mainspring and the watch will run many hours fast every day.

In sum, if the watch has been well serviced, simply run it until it is no longer running well. Then, have it serviced by a good shop.

Note, if you get a crack in the crystal, or the crystal fogs up (indicating a leak somewhere), RUN DON'T WALK to a good watch repairman and have the source of the leak fixed. As I said, it can be any of the three; crystal, crown gasket or back gasket.

A tightly-sealed watch in good order should run ten to fifteen years between servicings. My Rolex has not been touched for well over twenty years and it is still running very well.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Steve,

Thank you so much for your reply. That was very informative. This is my first mechanical watch since a Timex when I was a kid so I am sort of new to them. I'm actually amazed at how accurate it is.

Thanks again, I shall do as you suggest and just let it run until it stops.

-Jefferson Davis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Personally, I run my Rolex until it stops or begins running erratically.

(Sigh)

I had a Rolex one time. Bought it brand new in a certified shop in Switzer-by God-land. It ran great. Well within 60-seconds a month. More like 30.

And then, like a FOOL, I followed the manufacturer's advice and had it cleaned and inspected at the Rolex repair center in Los Angeles after the first full year of ownership.

It never ran right again, even though I took it back a couple of times.

Damn Rolex to hell, I say. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Personally, I run my Rolex until it stops or begins running erratically.

(Sigh)

I had a Rolex one time. Bought it brand new in a certified shop in Switzer-by God-land. It ran great. Well within 60-seconds a month. More like 30.

And then, like a FOOL, I followed the manufacturer's advice and had it cleaned and inspected at the Rolex repair center in Los Angeles after the first full year of ownership.

It never ran right again, even though I took it back a couple of times.

Damn Rolex to hell, I say. YMMV.

Yup. What really sucks is when the manufacturer's service recommendations are fully fifty-years behind the times.

A superb gunsmith can make a factory rifle better. That is really not true in the case of a fine watch.

I was never happy with Rolex LA. Seattle was not much better. Rolex NYC was OK, especially if proprietary parts were needed.

In the end, I prefered my own repair, mostly because I took my time and made every effort to do the job right. Nothing magic there, just caring & careful repair.

I'm happily retired now and glad I'll never have to twist another watch screw, except for my own.

Blessings,

Steve

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Steve
Where would you send an Omega Seamaster, if you have an opinion on it?
Thanks in advance, just in case. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Steve
Where would you send an Omega Seamaster, if you have an opinion on it?
Thanks in advance, just in case. smile

My friend,

We sold Omega, too, and they were a quite decent timepiece. To be honest, we retired from the jewelry biz a little over twenty years ago. Because of this, I am not current with the factory service available today.

Locally, I would TOTALLY trust Wm. R. Johnson Jewelers, 6680 SE Milwaukie Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97202. (503) 232-1147.

Johnson's is a dinosauer, just like my store was ... Mom and Pop, or in this case Alice (who was MY Mother's best friend) and son, Craig. Good folks who will make a profit, but they will give you honest value for your money.

Bill Johnson and my Dad were friends and they shared one saying, "You can give a guy a lot of haircuts, but you can only SCALP HIM ONCE." All businesses should adhere to this policy.

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, I don't want a high dollar watch. That said, what would you recommend in the 200-300 dollar range? looking for something that is not ornate. Field type watch is more my style.

My 28 year old Seiko Sports 150 is beat to heck, but I still wear it every day. Had to JB weld a few links because I can't find a band that works well with it. Looking for something similar.

Thanks Brother.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Both my folks wear a Rolex and I'm calling them right now... grin

Good info Steve. Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Two Rolexes in Havre? Say it isn't so!

Thanks Steve. That's better info than I had before I asked.

The Fire really is amazing sometimes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't even own a watch.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
interesting about watches. i've already worn one, likely a Timex or a Bulova. it (theTimex) takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

but,more about not wearing a watch. worked with a lady that for her entire career never wore a watch. she'd never be late to a meeting, etc. always on time.

when asked about not wearing a watch, she'd always respond, "what for?"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Two Rolexes in Havre? Say it isn't so!

Thanks Steve. That's better info than I had before I asked.

The Fire really is amazing sometimes.

They don't live here. I think they're avoiding me...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't even own a watch.

I went a good five years without one, but I got a Suunto recently and I'm lovin' it...

I can't be without clocks though. You can face almost any direction in my house and see a clock. I fuggin' hate rooms without clocks.

Travis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
TRH only needs to climb the basement steps to see his parents.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
TRH only needs to climb the basement steps to see his parents.

Laughin'...

Cruel bastard.

Travis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (257 mag, 3dtestify, 35, 6mmbrfan, 13 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,088
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.