-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read where they dropped an early version of one of these bombs in Iraq or Afghanistan several years ago. It made a mushroom cloud like a nuclear bomb. Many of the people saw the mushroom cloud and thought the US was using nuclear weapons. Even the US soldiers were surprised by the mushroom cloud and the earth vibrations.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It just needs a little "operational test and evaluation" smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Obama backed down over gas in Syria. He'll back down over Iran, too.

'course he will. Truth is, he doesn't want to see a Muslim hurt if it can possibly be helped. Hope no one hear thinks he didn't have mixed emotions about taking out Bin Laden.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I used to be the media spokesman for Eglin AFB, where all USAF new weaponry is developed. As such, I attended a whole bunch of highly classified briefings so that I'd know what NOT to talk about.

All my knowledge is now 20 years out of date, but trust me, boys and girls, there are some very clever sumbeeches at work in our weapons labs. I would not want to be on the receiving end of any of it.

One tiny example/anecdote. I was in a briefing of a new nuclear delivery system where a multi-star general asked the briefer, "Captain, how accurate is this device?" And the captain answered, "General, if we were targeting a tractor-trailer truck in Russia, you'd have to specify if you wanted it to hit the front bumper or the rear." That was 25+ years ago, when the most powerful personal computers used two 5" floppy drives with a whopping 64k memory. Work your own imagination.

Now we can specifiy which bedroom we want to hit in a 4 bedroom house, and leave the other three realitively intact.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The MOAB was the 15,000# weapons that maximized the explosive affect, ergo the mushroom cloud. It used a proximity fuze and went off just above the ground. It was actually kicked out of the tail end of a C-141 or C-17. It had a thin case that and was not designed to penetrate. The original Bunker Buster, the BU-28, was a 105 Howitzer Barrel filled with explosives(500#). It had a tail fuze to protect the fuzing process to allow it to penetrate. It had a Laser Guidance in the nose and a tail section to help stabilize it. It impacted at 90 degrees and was going in excess of MACH I. An early Test at White Sands had it penetrate some 100 feet of hard pan when they quit digging. The MOAP is a 30,000# beast to be deployed out of the B-1 or B-2. It is purported to have 5,500# of explosives and a GPS Guidance system. The device will have a tail fuze to maximize penetration. The case is undoubtedly a thick steel alloy to maintain integrity until detonation. All available online.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, what estacado said.

GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Burst (MOAB), aka Mother of All Bombs.

GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rlott
Yes, what estacado said.

GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Burst (MOAB), aka Mother of All Bombs.

GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)

Typo on my part. I saw MOP in the article but for some reason I typed MOAB when I posted the article.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet that tip is a slug of hardened steel. Concrete can only do 8000 or so PSI while steel can handle eight times that at least. That thing has to be going supersonic plus before it hits dirt, the tip just ablates off -- kind of like really hot Vaseline.
You can bet the fuse is in the TAIL end.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Coach_W
Wonder how much that cost me?

really?

Yup, you're not the least bit curious what a 30,000 lb bomb cost that's the size of a hybrid?

The link didn't list specifics like that.

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to be the media spokesman for Eglin AFB, where all USAF new weaponry is developed. As such, I attended a whole bunch of highly classified briefings so that I'd know what NOT to talk about.

All my knowledge is now 20 years out of date, but trust me, boys and girls, there are some very clever sumbeeches at work in our weapons labs. I would not want to be on the receiving end of any of it.

One tiny example/anecdote. I was in a briefing of a new nuclear delivery system where a multi-star general asked the briefer, "Captain, how accurate is this device?" And the captain answered, "General, if we were targeting a tractor-trailer truck in Russia, you'd have to specify if you wanted it to hit the front bumper or the rear." That was 25+ years ago, when the most powerful personal computers used two 5" floppy drives with a whopping 64k memory. Work your own imagination.

Were the most innovative sumbeeches on the planet wether it be war or industrial, nobody can beat us if we don't want them to.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coach_W
Wonder how much that cost me?
A lot less than a nuclear armed Iran.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jpb
Ladies and Gentlemen, we present the very definition of "overpenetrate":

"...thought to be able to penetrate 200 feet of concrete before exploding "

Wow!

John
So what happens when the WMD's are only under 100' of concrete. Does it keep going another 100' through the floor and explode so deep that it does no damage? Just wondering.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by jpb

Wow!

John
So what happens when the WMD's are only under 100' of concrete. Does it keep going another 100' through the floor and explode so deep that it does no damage? Just wondering.

Naw, before they drop one of these things they fly a plane over and use the 'campfire' special x-ray specs to see how deep the target is. Then the first plane sends a message to the plane with the bomb (the message is in secret code, so both planes have the 'campfire' secret decoder ring on board) and the plane fellars set the fuse to go off at the correct depth.

Easy as pie! wink

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Google up "Grand Slam bomb" to see the genesis of MOAB. All the way back in WWII, Barnes Wallis designed a ten-ton bomb

I figured if it had anything to do with "overpenetration" the name "Barnes" would be in there somewhere... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With that bomb I doubt 100' is going to make a whole lot of difference, especially if the bomb is 100' deeper than the target. It would probably give those that were 100' above it a really good idea of what being "blown up" actually means.

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of those classified briefings log ago revealed to me how a bomb can penetrate many feet of rock/concrete and detonate when it enters a cavern/room. It works to a tee - but I ain't telling. (Might still be classified.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by jpb

Wow!

John

Function delay adjustments....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In a former life, I was a civilian munitions inspector at McClellan AFB. I'd love to take a look at the AFTO on that sucker.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by estacado
The original Bunker Buster, the BU-28, was a 105 Howitzer Barrel filled with explosives(500#). It had a tail fuze to protect the fuzing process to allow it to penetrate. It had a Laser Guidance in the nose and a tail section to help stabilize it. It impacted at 90 degrees and was going in excess of MACH I. An early Test at White Sands had it penetrate some 100 feet of hard pan when they quit digging. The MOAP is a 30,000# beast to be deployed out of the B-1 or B-2. It is purported to have 5,500# of explosives and a GPS Guidance system.

Right. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that they used 155mm howitzer barrels, not 105's, but memory is tricky so I'll defer to your more recent research.

Regardless, the point is that the BU-28 was an improvised weapon using materials on hand. Our gearheads at Elgin have had 30 years since then to engineer a purpose-built penetrator case that will exceed the BU-28's performance many times over.

Iran's underground nuclear facilities are doomed. It's just a matter of how soon.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One of those classified briefings log ago revealed to me how a bomb can penetrate many feet of rock/concrete and detonate when it enters a cavern/room. It works to a tee - but I ain't telling. (Might still be classified.)

Doesn't surprise me in the least, RR.

But it seems to me that the physics of shock waves would favor detonation in rock rather than in an air-filled space. I guess it depends on what your objective is... kill air-breathing people, or destroy infrastructure.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/04/13.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 38 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,860
Posts18,497,174
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.