Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here actually own and shoot any late model RIA 1911's? I see them for sale for very reasonable prices, and when I havce handled them I have been impressed. Anyone here have a report, good or bad, on them? Weak parts anywhere? Good features like fully ramped barrels or some such?

Thanks in advance,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ScottF has one

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rattler beat me to it.
ScottF did his trick shootin with ol' chocolate his RIA 1911.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Mark, They're a lot of pistol for the money. They're pretty well indestructible, shoot well and have warranty service that puts Kimber and some others to shame. Which is unfreakinbelieveable when you compare the $$$ involved. If for some reason it's not running right they'll make it right. Period. The slide to frame fit is very good, my trigger was very good and accuracy was very good. Last I knew Scott F had the same thoughts about them. Hard to beat for the money. They also make the Citadel and I believe they made the Charles Daly 1911s. You might want to have a real 'smith polish the feed ramp.

Dave

p.s. 1911forum.com has one board just for the RIA and a company rep cruises that pretty regularly.

Last edited by OldRooster; 04/29/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My son works as a Captain in the Law Enforcement portion of the MDOT here in the state. He bought one for a work gun that he didn't mind getting scratched up. He carried it to his local smith who was also a ARNG armorer with intentions of putting a custom barrel on it before he shot it. The smith called him and asked did he ever shoot it. He said no and he said it wouldn't be worthwhile to do so. He wound up polishing the ramp, and some other parts only. It was very accurate with the factory barrel. Right up there with one of his custom 1911s. Great value for the price.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sell one with 9mm and .22 TCM barrels. The price is reasonable, and it would be a fun gun to play with.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would also look at the Citadel. Made by Armscor they are very well made, and have a better than standard trigger. Priced well also.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
They sell one with 9mm and .22 TCM barrels. The price is reasonable, and it would be a fun gun to play with.

soon as my brother gets working overtime for the highway department this summer we are going in halves on one of those grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
Anyone here actually own and shoot any late model RIA 1911's? I see them for sale for very reasonable prices, and when I havce handled them I have been impressed. Anyone here have a report, good or bad, on them? Weak parts anywhere? Good features like fully ramped barrels or some such?

Thanks in advance,

MARK
They are the old Armscorp which has been around for ages under one name or another. Charles Daley, as was mentioned in another post, was the most recent iteration before Rock Island. The Rock Island's seem better, but I've not owned one. I owned two Charles Daleys and they were not that great.

Bricktop doesn't like them and Scott F does. About the only new gun that is near their price range is the Taurus PT1911 which has a lot more features. "Near" isn't exact though and the Taurus is usually substantially higher.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Mark, look at the RI Tactical. It's well tricked out and ready to go.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just about everyone I've talked to that has actual experience with one says they're good guns for the money.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That is what I hear as well, which is why I am encouraging my freind to wait until one comes up and not take an unnecesary risk with another manuafacturer like CAI.

Actually, I hear that they are really good guns PERIOD, and the equal of many that are twice the price.

If I ever get a little ahead again, I might have to try one out myself.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love mine. Good trigger, accurate, reliable. You can even trick them out a little. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 68injunhed; 05/03/13.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking gat! Is it the 10mm caliber version? I like the stipling on the frontstrap. My last unstipled 1911 got some Skateboard traction tape applied there smile Poor (lazy?) mans way to get front strap traction.

The finish is awfully nice, too. Did it come that smoothand even, or did you have to have it re-polished?

Me likey!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought one of the small ones for my brother. Out of the box it digested everything without a hiccup. Accuracy was very good whith sights dead on with hardball. Can't think of a thing to do to it. I have shot 1911's since 1951 and always have several around. Currently have a top line Kimber all steel with BoMars and I had just as soon shoot my brothers. They are the best buy available today in my opinion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been eyeballing their new 10mm's at around $600. I already have 2, a Dan Wesson Razorback that was about $900 NIB, and a custom built Fusion Firearms I hesitate to tell you what I spent on. I could use the RIA to practice for the others and not worry so much about wear and tear.

My DW:

[Linked Image]

My Fusion:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, the not so well kept "secret" about these RIA 10mm's is out, and now one cannot find one for sale much of anywhere. My freind who wants one now has checked with Buds, SOG, Cheaper than dirt, Lolo Sports, Accusport, Arizona Tactical supply and a few other places that reportedly carried the RIA line.

If any of you here find one for sale for normal prices or even better yet wholesale prices (he and I have a close mutual friend with a full FFL and shop who can order from most wholesalers) please let me know here. THANKS

PS might even be a bit of a reward for such intel....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
Nice looking gat! Is it the 10mm caliber version? I like the stipling on the frontstrap. My last unstipled 1911 got some Skateboard traction tape applied there smile Poor (lazy?) mans way to get front strap traction.

The finish is awfully nice, too. Did it come that smoothand even, or did you have to have it re-polished?

Me likey!

Nah, just a regular 'ol .45. I was going for something like grip tape on the front strap, only permanent.

The finish is electroless nickel directly over a bead blasted surface. There was quite a bit of machining done on slide, but no extra polishing. After the dehorn, just an even bead blast.

It turned out pretty decent, it looks better in person. My photography skills are lacking.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Additional evidence that stupid hurts.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.