Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,124 of 1,842 1 2 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
18" in Hayward and 17.2" in Rice Lake .

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I used to be a die hard MN opener guy. But like Dave said the weather is usually terrible. Windy, cold and snow/sleet is not uncommon on the opener. That is just not fun to fish in anymore. Must be gettin old. smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's fun listening to you guys go on about the opener. Brings back lots of memories.

I doubt there was a moment I looked forward to more than The Opener. and the ones I remember best and most warmly were the coldest, most fishless Openers. I'm damn glad to have been there, freezing in an aluminum boat, busting ice with an oar to get across the lake, hoping my minnow was still useable after a strike or a snag because I couldn't bear to stick my hand in the minnow bucket again (but I always did anyway), and hauling up the anchor getting even colder. No, those were the best times and I'd do them again in a second if I could, and especially if my dad was there. Probably the best times we ever had.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Know what you mean Brent.

The last opener I fished with my son before he headed West was in 1990. It had snowed 6 or more inches several days before opening day and stayed cold.

We drove up to Price county to trout fish on Price Creek. The temp was below freezing when we got there and I had to constantly clear the ice out of the rod guides. I started out using spinners, but decided to try crawlers around 9 AM. When I opened the container and grabed a crawler I got a big surprise, it was frozen stiff. frown If I remember right my son caught 2 trout and I caught none, but we still had a great time.

BTW...This is the first post from the new computer.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Brent, how is your wifes new Escape working out? My son picks his up today (Company car).

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I vaguely remember one opener when the weather was stunningly good and we caught a ton of fish that year. But you know, I don't have a single visual memory of it. Not a single remarkable event except that it happened and it was fun. All the important memories are tied into those cold, miserable fishless years. Damn I miss that stuff.

Bill, the wife really really likes the new Escape. I drive it about once or twice per week, but I am liking it too. It isn't exactly powerful, but has enough zip for passing cars on two-lane with ease and I do that a lot when I drive it.

Mileage was not what I had hoped at first but it improved quite a bit. I don't know if that is breaking in (I thought new engines do not require a break-in period anymore) or if turbos really suck more gas when the weather is cold.

Sort of cold now ~34F and it finally quit snowing after over 30 hrs of nonstop snowfall.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had several people tell me they didn't get advertised mileage until around 5K miles. Different makes were involved.

Read an article on the Ford 4 cylinder eco-boost engines that stated that you have to use premium fuel to get the maximum advertised HP.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I never get advertised mileage in any vehicle. But I did hope to get better at first. I'm happy now, so all is good.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
It's fun listening to you guys go on about the opener. Brings back lots of memories.

I doubt there was a moment I looked forward to more than The Opener. and the ones I remember best and most warmly were the coldest, most fishless Openers. I'm damn glad to have been there, freezing in an aluminum boat, busting ice with an oar to get across the lake, hoping my minnow was still useable after a strike or a snag because I couldn't bear to stick my hand in the minnow bucket again (but I always did anyway), and hauling up the anchor getting even colder. No, those were the best times and I'd do them again in a second if I could, and especially if my dad was there. Probably the best times we ever had.

That is a very good point Brent. I do have some GREAT memories of those cold, fishless days...

Like waiting at the access for the snow to let up a little so we could see well enough to back the boat in. Once in, the white caps were splashing over the side of the boat and we laughed and laughed at how crazy it was. Blinding snow. Strong NW wind and we are out in the middle of a lake because it was...The Opener.

Thanks for putting a positive spin on it. smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
our season never closes here, but I remember what "opener" was like. my friends and I used to be out there at midnight. I remember when I was about 15 or so night fishing at grandpa's lake and it was warm, like 60 that night. Then the next year I was huddled against a bridge with snow flying thinking WTH am I doing here?

Don't miss opener at all. I don't even fish much anymore really, and I work next to a reservoir that is one of the best in the state. sad frown

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Me and the little guy got a big bird down this morning. 20'ish pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 7/8" spurs, 42 yards. I like them closer but he was nervous from a lot of movement and excited chatter from a 7 year old.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Working on bird number two now and trying to get BIL his

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good going Tom. Hope you guys can put 2 on the ground.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Brent, sons' Escape has the 1.6 eco-boost also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Me and the little guy got a big bird down this morning. 20'ish pounds, 9 3/4" beard, 7/8" spurs, 42 yards. I like them closer but he was nervous from a lot of movement and excited chatter from a 7 year old.

SWEET !

All those turkey pics I posted and I haven't been one time

shame shame shame

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't been in a while either, I see them every day and hear them gobble, just aint been chasin them. I should as I only have a few weeks of season left

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We've lost Dusty.

I can't pull the words together at the moment, I just wanted to ask for some prayers and thoughts for his wife Eileen, Daughter Missy (Muffy,) his grandchildren and all of his Chickenbuckers.

He went peacefully, Missy called me this afternoon with the news.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I talked to Missy on facebook last night, been prayin a lot for him and the family. tonight I'll raise a glass to one of the most kind hearted men I've had the pleasure to meet. got to get off now, starting to cloud up.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
RIP, Dusty! We have lost one of the truly great ones.

Muffy and Eileen are prayers are with you. You too, Dave. I know what Dusty meant to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn Cancer. Best wishes to the family.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 1,124 of 1,842 1 2 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.