Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a short trip (say to the grocery) in warm weather, I carry a S&W 642 in 38 Special. It is light, easy to conceal and effective enough. Warm weather clothing consists of Bermuda shorts and a Izod shirt; not much to conceal a larger gun. The 642 rides in a Kramer pocket holster.

For colder weather, I carry a S&W 1911 PD in 45 ACP.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a Walther PPK .380 in a Safariland clip holster inside my pants in the small of my back, very easy to conceal. I also carry at times a Colt Detective Special .38 Spl and a full-size CZ-75 9mm. I'm looking seriously at a sub-compact Glock or Kahr .45 ACP for daily carry.

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This discussion, while well intended will not get you very far in making an educated decision. You need to go and try out several, if not many guns to see what works for you. Then pair down your selection based on reviews /subject matter experts / comfort / cost etc.

Approach the problem from the correct angle and your results will be far more rich, not to mention far less costly.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You need to read Eremicus 2 post and let the message soak in. He is spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get a Springfield XDs in 45acp for you and let the wife shoot it and if its to much recoil get her a XDs in 9mm.... I really like mine in 45acp......

randy..
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a Sig 229 40 S&W. It's much like my duty 226 in heft and function. I have it in a Fobus holster and I always wear a belt even while wearing shorts. I buy loose shirts so it doesn't stick out much but don't care if someone catches a glimpse of the grip pushing my shirt out some. It's not like I'm not allowed to have it. If your legal who cares if your shirt reveals a little bit of it as long as it is "concealed" IMO. People carry so much crap on their waste now a days you can hardly tell a gun from an i phone. I do agree in the thought of practice with what you will carry and need when things go sideways. I have a S&W 640 357 mag as well. I don't shoot the baby 38 loads in it thinking thats how it will behave with full power loads. If you ever shot one of those little, light weight snubbies in 357 magnum you'll know. Think of "Men In Black" when Will Smith shot the "noisy cricket" Bout spot on for that rig.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am looking at getting a concealed carry pistol as well and the Ruger LC9 is what I am going with when I get the money. I was thinking 380, but as a friend said "ammo is expensive and hard to find." I have to agree with that.

Dale

The more you know, the less you need.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have many of the mentioned pistols, but since I cannot have them in Japan, I won't express my preferences.

However, in recent discussions with a close friend in the US who is highly knowledgeable, he says he keeps handy a couple of the small Colt New Agent in .45 ACP, to which he's added Novak sights. He says the gutter sight like the old ASP is worthless at much more than arm's length. He also feels that Colt is making higher quality products today than in any time in its history, largely due to its CEO.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
take a hard look at the Kahr CM9 or more expensive PM9. Same gun with not enough difference to justify the price difference IMHO.

+1

I carry a Kahr CM9 in a Remora IWB holster on a daily basis; I forget that I'm carrying it. I've put over 500 rounds through it without any issues whatsoever; I'd take a hard look if I were you.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple friends who bought their wives Smith and Wesson Shield pistols in .380 and they love them. I shot one tonight and could only hold a 3" group at 10 yards. I shot a good 50 rounds through it and most groups were about so. I told my buddy he should have bought a Glock 19 instead. He hates Glocks. I have a 17, and I shot my friend's 19 before. I like Glocks. Every time you pull the trigger, it's the same. The guns are light, accurate and reliable. People will berate the polymer gun, but I've had mine 20+ years and it's fine. Like new I'd say. You also get 17 rounds whether you need them or not.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rob p
I have a couple friends who bought their wives Smith and Wesson Shield pistols in .380 and they love them. I shot one tonight and could only hold a 3" group at 10 yards. I shot a good 50 rounds through it and most groups were about so. I told my buddy he should have bought a Glock 19 instead. He hates Glocks. I have a 17, and I shot my friend's 19 before. I like Glocks. Every time you pull the trigger, it's the same. The guns are light, accurate and reliable. People will berate the polymer gun, but I've had mine 20+ years and it's fine. Like new I'd say. You also get 17 rounds whether you need them or not.

Bodyguard is the .380. Shield is the 9mm and 40.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i carry a ruger lcp in a pocket holster many days. the rest i carry a glock 36. wife doesn't carry anything but credit cards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the most part I carry a Smith M36 with a 3" barrel at the waist and a Ruger LCP in an ankle holster. While I've carried handguns in bigger calibers in the past I'm comfortable with my present choices. Magazine capacity and caliber really aren't the issue. Hitting what you're shooting at is. A larger caliber won't make up for a misplaced shot. Bottom line is to actually shoot a lot of handguns and carry what you're comfortable with. You have to be comfortable with it because unless you carry it 24/7 you're leaving yourself and your family at risk.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thought:

Get yourself a 22LR of the same action type as your carry gun and go shoot it a BUNCH and OFTEN.

You'll learn trigger controll and how to "hit" with the 22, Then transfer this to your carry gun.

End each range session shooting you carry gun.

Virgil B.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very happy with my LC9. Trigger has a VERY long pull, but it's smooth and feel I can shoot it well. I have also shot the Shield quite a bit and it is very nice. Let your personal feel decide for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a bunch of carry pistols but carry my Glock 23 with Wolf Barre in 357 Sig the most

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My MIL just bought the Ruger LC380.I want to take a look @ the LC9.The Walther in 380 also seemed nice.Didn't get to look at Walther in 9mm. What's your opinion on these two manufactures?

Last edited by Gravestone; 05/06/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have been packing concealed carry for many years now and have bought several guns to fill the need.
I still shoot them all but the ONLY one I still carry is a Smith & Wesson 360PD....yes it only has 5 shots but it shoots very well. I have given up on shooting 357's out of it and only shoot 38 +P loads.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
the wife and i have shot & really like springfield xd's that belong to a friend. that said, we follow the wisdom of an old-school retired border patrol: "what happens if it goes 'click'?". k frame smith works real well (2" model 10).......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Be sure you shoot the lc9 before you buy it. Recoil is quite noticeable. I could control it, but it would take a lot of practice for me to say I was really comfortable with it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,490 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.