Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
My sister asked tonight. Hahahahahaha..... Uh, no. I learned that lesson long time ago..

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep a Poulan Wild Thing as a loaner. If an 18" bar will meet the light duty needs of the user, it is a serviceable chainsaw. I usually lend it along with a couple of nylon wedges and an Estwing Camper's axe.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What's the backstory? My chainsaws don't get used by anyone else if avoidable. Sometimes an employee. I like to cut wood and often end up giving some away each fall.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/06/13.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been doing pretty well loaning saws, especially my concrete saw. You take it without a blade, and it comes back with one on it.....or buy your own.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a little beater husky 141? Anyways its the loaner or god forbid my other two saws took a crap saw. No way anybody is touching one of my good pro saws.

IC B2

W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What's the backstory? My chainsaws don't get used by anyone else if avoidable. Sometimes an employee. I like to cut wood and often end up giving some away each fall.

Not much of a story. I'm on my third Stihl. The previous two were destroyed by friends. I love my sister but I learned my lesson. I will gladly run it for her but she isnt getting it.

W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have been doing pretty well loaning saws, especially my concrete saw. You take it without a blade, and it comes back with one on it.....or buy your own.

A wise man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm on my second saw since I bought my house. These are lightly used for yard maintenance, not for commercial firewood production or anything like that. The first one was a MacCoulough. I ran that little saw for 15 years. It never worked real good, but was okay for what I did with it. It finally quit running, and I just couldn't see putting any money into it. I bought a reconditioned Poulan with an 18 inch bar from Sears and I have to say I've been pretty happy with it. Plenty of power for the light work I do with it, and it runs pretty good. I can see it is obviously not designed for the rigors of heavy work, but for occasional use around the yard, it works just fine. If I can get 15 years out of this one, I'll be happy with that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son borrowed my saw months ago................

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. My saw was built back in the '60s and isn't safe by today's standards. Its a Homelite made back when Homelite made decent saws. It starts when I pull the cord and cuts what I need it to cut. No, you can't borrow it because its a safety hazard. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you cutting yourself with my saw. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One of my coworkers asked to borrow my midrange Stihl yesterday for his firewood cutting season......he didn't like the look he got back instead! LOL

Last edited by frogman43; 05/07/13.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Loaned my saw to a friend at work in the late 90's for some small tree's around his house. Gave him my safety equipment and a refresher on running one. He came in Monday and said he was taking me to lunch. Took me to my saw shop and ordered me a new one. He got cocky and stepped up to large pines and dropped one on the saw. He made good on the saw which I appreciated.

A few months later, a colleague at work calls and asks to borrow saw. Initially said yes, then told him I'd had a bad experience and wouldn't be loaning it out anymore. Heard a few weeks later from the person he ended up borrowing one from that he used it to dig a stump out and it was beat and abused.

No more loaning saws out for me. If you need the help and it's within my abilities and my time abilities, I'll help. Otherwise you need to buy your own, rent or find someone else to help.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My saws are sharpened, cleaned, gassed and oiled up.........but they are "broken"!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Got a college educated co-worker that wanted to put in an underground electric fence for his wife's mutt. Too cheap to rent a ditch wizard or other such trenching tool and too lazy to use a mattock, he wanted to borrow my chain saw to use it to 'slice' the dirt for the wires. Thinking he wanted it for yard clean up, I unknowingly loaned him a pretty decent Poulan that mom found at yard a few years back.

He destroyed it. I eventually got a new Poulan out of the deal, but had to shame him into making it good.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, the old Poulan ditch witch, famed in song and story.

Knowing the soil content of this here area is mostly rock and clay, I bet he beat the ever living crap out of your poor saw.

I would kick wholesale ass if I loaned out a saw and seen it used like that.

Tell me your co-worker wasn't an engineer....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Almost did come to blows over it. Wound up telling his wife what a cheap, dumbss he was and she finally signed a check.

He was /is a young black programmer, and used the race card on me early on. Said I was trying to take advantage of a 'young brother' and nothing was wrong with the saw.

Yeah other than the fact that the chain was missing and it was locked up, it was in great shape.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You guys have done a real good job reinforcing my belief in not loaning anything.Saws,guns,tools, money and sure wish I would have done a one way loan of the gal I married before I did. Life does come with aw sheeit lessons gauranteed if you get to liberal and make dumb decissions. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the people I know have more saws than I do, which is good, because I have no intention of loaning mine out. smirk

CrowRifle-never heard of the chainsaw/trenching method before frown. Thanks for the education.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My standard answer is No.
I am suprised at how many people get mad that I told them no, like they are entitled to it.
I use to loan an older saw I had but after it would come back with a dull chain, broken, raw gas in the tank (2 cycles need oil mix) or any number of other issues, I said enough is enough.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have an ancient 14" Wen electric, nobody wants to borrow it. grin

Does well for light branch trimming around the yard though.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,258
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.