Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBSmith
My range is set up right out my front door. I have targets to 1100 yards. When I get in from lunch I will pick a target and shoot once.

I was going to mention how much you SUCK, but then I see your a fellow lefty, you get a free pass.

You guys may make more money than I but I like my perks managing a ranch, and this is one of them!

There is several versions of wealth, sounds like you've picked yours, Happiness is a richness un-countable.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Kenneth.

My shot number 7 was late yesterday as I was over at the neighbors branding calves most of the day. I picked 680 yards(my 700 yard gong from the normal shooting position). We had winds out of the south east which was coming half value from right to left at 5 mph. I moved mys scope 3 mils and held .25 mils for wind, I JERKED the trigger! big miss!! I shot over the target by a foot.

My boy showed me up... I slid the rifle over to him and told him where to hold for wind and he hit dead center.

Lucas

Well its a dog eat dog, eat cat too, French eat frog, and I'll eat you....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The target Dropped Dead Right There. I never saw an inanimate targer do that before.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Now I get it... haha It was a bang flop. lol

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My boy showed me up... I slid the rifle over to him and told him where to hold for wind and he hit dead center.

Sounds like you're raising that boy right. grin He knows how to shoot AND follow instructions.

Good on ya!

Ed

Oh, and I'm envious of your 'wealth" too. I only have 300 yds to shoot on my place.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just shot my number 8 now.

I am amazed at how well my rifle shoots after cleaning, LOL. I have put around 80 or so rounds since the last cleaning. Got it scrubbed clean with Gun Slick Pro foaming gun cleaner. I went out to run a couple fowlers after The cleaning. I started at 525, wind was calm, temps are in the upper 60's. I moved my scope up 1.7 mils. Dead center hit, I thought that was a little odd as it usually hits low with the first shot after a cleaning. I moved to the next target, 640 yards, moved scope up 2.4 mils from zero. Hit... 2 inches left of center.
Now I am on a roll so I found 700. Its 711 yards to be exact. Moved 3.1 mils up....Hit... just left of center by 2 inches. I felt pretty good by now as my wife was in the yard watering grass and she herd every hit. I moved to 800 (804). I moved my scope 4.3 mils from zero...Hit....I couldn't see for sure but it looked like center right to me(there was a couple hits on the target from the other day and I haven't painted it yet).

Now I am on cloud 9 so onto the 1000...moved up 6.3 mils from zero, I held for no wind....HIT....That made my day and my wife finally believed me that I could hit the 1000 yard gong.

Lucas

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thats Sweet LBSmith! GOOD SHOOTING!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Man O Man O Man O Man.... all I can do is shake my head in AWE.

What a rifle Smith.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dan, Thanks. I can get you one built just like it if you want...with a little cash and a action on your end of course LOL.

Clayne B, nice shooting there. I could tell by the mirage in the video it was moving pretty good out there. Almost all my misses are do to not holding enough for wind. It gets to be more luck than anything out past 500. I have gottin better at reading the surroundings at the target with more shooting I do, I guess that is where a good spotter comes into play.

What is your friend shooting for a 204? Is he shooting heavy bullets? If and when I build my long range 204, I will build it to shoot heavy bullets. If I do that all my rifles that I shoot long range will have the same trajectory. I have made some long shots with my 204's over the years but they fall transonic with a 40 grain vmax around 730 yards(with my loads). Its not that I am shooting coyotes that far with it but it would be nice to practice with that rifle versus my 6mm(it would be a little cheaper).

Lucas

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
He is shooting 32gr hornady factory ammo

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I didn't get my shot in today, I had to work cows and brand a few calves. I will get my number 9 shot in the morning and number 10 tomorrow evening.

Lucas

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This morning I took my number 9 shot. I moved up from my regular shooting position 77 yards got a range...924 yards. Wind was 5 mph out of the south so I put half value of wind from right to left. Temps were in the low 50's. I moved 6.1 mils up from zero. I held a half mil for wind...Hit. Upper right corner of target. If I would have been shooting a 6" circle I would have missed by about 2 inches. It was pretty cool to hear the hit this morning, it really echoed back to the house. I guess the air was just right to carry the sound.

I will take today's shot this evening when I get back to the house.

Lucas

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just did my Cold bore number 10. I chose 1104 yards. I felt pretty confident in making the shot because there was little wind to speak of. It got warm today and was still in the upper 70's when I took my shot. I moved my scope 7.8 mils up from zero and settled into the trigger, just then a breeze hit me on the left cheek. I didn't give it much thought pulled the trigger....miss. I struck about a half mil to the right of the target. I had 4 rounds left in the rifle so I continued to put them down range. I adjusted for the half mil I missed by and fired...hit. shot again...hit...again...hit and the last round....hit. I put the 4 all on a 12 gong at 1104 yards. I haven't gone out to look to see how the group looked on the gong, but I am pretty happy with a group like that at that yardage with a hunting rifle.

Lucas

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Good shooting LBSmith, It was alot different for me today...

Remember when I said "no matter the conditions." It kicked my rear today!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Heck I thought I had to fight wind here, you got rough shooting in that stuff. Through this whole deal our weather here has been pleasurable to shoot in. The wind has been the biggest factor. I have practiced in the rain and even in a snow storm or 2. I try to practice as much for a real hunting situation as possible.

Lucas

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You guys are amazing, you give me hope that I can develop consistent skills out to 600 or so. Great posts all !!!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I want that stock! I wonder if they make it in a left hand long action?! Thats pretty cool shooting, its fun to monkey around like that. Thats funny you shot like that, I shot off shooting sticks today!

My shot today was pretty simple, or so I thought. I picked a even 500 yards with my shooting sticks, and a tree for a back rest. The wind was out of the south again around 10 mph(from right to left) and it was sunny and 72 degree's. I moved my scope up 1.5 mils from zero and held .75 mils for wind....hit. I hit just on the left edge of the target. If I would have been shooting at a 6" circle like you I would have to call it a miss. So it would be a miss for me today.

We are supposed to have 30 mph winds tomorrow so it should be a treat to try to get the wind figured out!

Lucas

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went out and did a little shooting today. The CBS was on a 9" rock at 841 yards. I was shooting in the mountains, from one side of a mountain, across a canyon, and into the opposite mountain side. The wind seemed perfectly still on my side of the mountain, and judging by the vegetation on the opposite side, it was perfectly still there, too. I dialed 13.75 MOA into the elevation turret on my .243AI and held dead on for windage. There was an unseen wind going through the canyon of about 3-4 mph right to left, and my first shot missed left by about 1.5 MOA from the center of the rock. I held off 1.5 MOA for the next few shots and the rifle was stacking them right in the middle of the rock.

Reading the wind in canyons is always challenging for me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.