Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Excerpt:

"Officials told The Times that every potential smuggling corridor in Arizona is monitored by mountaintop spotters, who are usually low-level cartel employees or those who owe a debt to the cartel.
They are armed with radios and cellphones and occasionally with weapons, and are sometimes held responsible if the drug loads they are spotting for are interdicted by authorities."

Jesus wept,......

They're ALL armed to the [bleep]' TEETH !

GTC

Link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/7/border-patrol-rules-hinder-effort-oust-drug-spotte/

The chief of the U.S. Border Patrol said Tuesday that his agents have a tough time ousting armed drug cartel spotters from the tops of U.S. mountains because the rules of engagement constrain them.

For years, cartels have stationed spotters on U.S. territory to help track American border efforts and to guide smugglers around roadblocks and past where agents are stationed. But in recent months, those spotters have gotten more attention as Congress prepares to debate an immigration legalization bill.

�Why don�t we take those people out?� said Sen. Ron Johnson, Wisconsin Republican.

Sen. Thomas R. Carper, Delaware Democrat, who chairs the SenateHomeland Security Committee, said he was shocked to learn of the spotters during a trip to the border earlier this year, saying that if U.S. troops had come across spotter locations in Iraq or Afghanistan, those sites would have been taken out.

Border Patrol Chief Michael J. Fisher said there�s a major difference between those war zones and the U.S.-Mexico border, where agents have to obey strict rules of engagement.

�The rules of engagement, what we call our �use of force,� applies to individuals on the street or whether they�re up on a mountaintop,� he told the Senate panel.

Chief Fisher said the agency had had some success in ousting �dozens� of spotters from mountaintops, but he couldn�t say how many more locations remains.

The mountaintop spotters have been a thorny problem for years.

SEE RELATED: Public doubts immigration overhaul will strengthen border: Poll

Two years ago, Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, and Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano engaged in a heated exchange over how many spotters there were. Mr. McCain said he had been told there were hundreds, while Ms. Napolitano replied that there were hundreds of peaks that could be used, but there weren�t hundreds of actual spotters.

�Look, they are there, and everyone knows they�re there, and for you and your staff to deny that they�re there is sort of symptomatic to me,� Mr. McCain said.

The Washington Times has visited well-camouflaged spotter locations in the Sonoran Desert National Monument 75 miles north of the border, with a view of Interstate 8, which runs from just south of Phoenix west to San Diego.

Officials told The Times that every potential smuggling corridor in Arizona is monitored by mountaintop spotters, who are usually low-level cartel employees or those who owe a debt to the cartel.

They are armed with radios and cellphones and occasionally with weapons, and are sometimes held responsible if the drug loads they are spotting for are interdicted by authorities.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm thinking a single 168 grain .308 would sort out those spotters

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I'm thinking a single 168 grain .308 would sort out those spotters

A not uncommon opinion, that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Overkill. 22 hornet, 40 grain V-Max, and a case full of your favorite powder. In one ear and out the other.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
Overkill. 22 hornet, 40 grain V-Max, and a case full of your favorite powder. In one ear and out the other.

Won't work when you're over 500yds...just sayin'

See them before they see you.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Will work at 400.

22BR will work way past 500.

Last edited by Scott F; 05/09/13.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not into niceties.

155mm, HE.

I'd re-up a hitch as a Border Patrol Spotter if offered.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not very subtle, but I like the way you think.

If the assclown's drones worked so well on thinning al qaeda why not introduce them to the cartel?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm losing interest in subtleties as well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Not very subtle, but I like the way you think.

If the assclown's drones worked so well on thinning al qaeda why not introduce them to the cartel?

Now there's the idea of the year! How do we make sure they're NOT us citizens first so we don't kill US citizens on US soil without due process? With a drone?

While certainly inviting, killing them because they're spotters really isn't what this country's all about, is it?

I'm all for putting boots on the ground in OUR country, on OUR borders to preserve OUR way of life and liberty HERE.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Now there's the idea of the year! How do we make sure they're NOT us citizens first so we don't kill US citizens on US soil without due process? With a drone?

With any luck, John Q. won't be shooting a drone coming in for pics.

Juan Q? Not sure.

In the end, a policy of confrontation that does have terminal efforts as a possibility is needed, but until politics is removed from the efforts, all the way around, objectivity in that process is a long time coming.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RWE

With any luck, John Q. won't be shooting a drone coming in for pics.
Juan Q? Not sure.
In the end, a policy of confrontation that does have terminal efforts as a possibility is needed, but until politics is removed from the efforts, all the way around, objectivity in that process is a long time coming.

You are right about there needing to be swift, sure consequences.

As to the shooting of drones as they come in for pics, most of those drones operate at 8,000-10,000ft+ altitude. They don't need to come any closer.

I think RockyRaab's previous job would be ideal for this situation. Find a cartel spotter via FLIR or other intel, mark his position with smoke & GPS, and call in the cavalry. If Juan, Jose, or John engages with firearms, all bets are off and may God have mercy on their souls.

Ed

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If the drones can read my license plate as I leave a gun store, then they sure as hell can tell the diff between Juan heading north with 50 kilos of weed on his back and John Q watering his livestock.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
While certainly inviting, killing them because they're spotters really isn't what this country's all about, is it?

This country surely isn't about sovereign borders, or national security, or deterring crime, or enforcing immigration laws, or defending the constitution anymore.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very true. Do we know that Juan deserves a death sentence for carrying weed into this country?

How about we just shoot everybody we find who uses illegal drugs? (insert sarcasm icon here)

No customers, no market, no smugglers, no problem.

I am one of the most virulent anti-drug people you will ever meet because I have seen the destruction, but that doesn't change the fact that we are a nation of laws, not a tribe of savages.

Put boots on the ground, give them the tools to work with INCLUDING a communication system that works and change the rules of engagement.

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, hire a few really GOOD snipers!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lets change that weed to a drug resistant strain of tuberculosis, or a back pack nuke, or vial or weaponized small pox. You still OK with letting Juan walk on by?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
In regards to policy on our borders, we are far too nice, in the original meaning, for that.

The origin of "nice":
Middle English, foolish, wanton, from Anglo-French, silly, simple, from Latin nescius ignorant, from nescire not to know

I'm sure we will continue to be nice until it kills us.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Lets change that weed to a drug resistant strain of tuberculosis, or a back pack nuke, or vial or weaponized small pox. You still OK with letting Juan walk on by?

I never said I was OK with Juan walking by, drugs, disease, nukes, or not.
Please read my posts. Put folks on the ground with the right tools and STOP Juan, OneHungLo, Muhammed Al Goatphucker, JungDumbass, and anyone else from coming across.

The rules of engagement HAVE to change if we're going to address this, but killing folks for just being there with no due process is wrong on SO many levels.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 05/09/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could walk you to 2 sites south of Aravaca today. Found occupied coues deer hunting.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.