Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And why the F.U.C.K this is in the San Francisco newspaper?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Gardiner-man-kills-wolf-after-sheep-killed-4498538.php

Activists say wolf-killer is baiting the animals

[Linked Image]

This 2013 photo provided by Horsefeathers Photography shows a black wolf wearing a VHF radio collar that identifies it as Wolf �831F,� a member of the Yellowstone National Park �s Canyon pack, in Swan Lake, Mont. Big game outfitter William Hoppe shot and killed this female wolf near where 13 sheep were killed in April. Leaders of a wolf advocacy group said Hoppe is intentionally luring the animals by leaving dead sheep carcasses in a pile. Photo: Horsefeathers Photography, Brad Orsted

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) � A big game outfitter who shot and killed a collared wolf from Yellowstone National Park is intentionally luring the animals by leaving dead sheep carcasses in a pile, leaders of a wolf advocacy group said.

"Make no mistake about that, it's definitely intentional baiting," Marc Cooke, president of Wolves of the Rockies, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

William Hoppe shot and killed a 2-year old, female wolf Sunday near where 13 sheep were killed in April. He notified Fish, Wildlife and Parks warden Chris Kerin that he killed the wolf using one of his two shoot-on-sight permits the agency issued after the sheep were killed, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle (http://bit.ly/17LAEJ5) reported Wednesday. The permits are valid for 45 days and only allow wolves to be shot on the property where the sheep were killed.

In mid-April, Hoppe, an outspoken opponent of wolves, bought about 30 sheep and started raising them on his property along the Yellowstone River near Gardiner.

On April 24, he awakened to find that two wolves had killed five ewes and eight lambs.

Hoppe "deliberately put the sheep on his property ... knowing that the wolves would kill them," Cooke charged.

Hoppe told the Chronicle he was going to move the rest of the sheep closer to his house and that he had disposed of the dead sheep in a bone pile in the area where they were killed.

"This man needs to be held accountable for baiting," said Kim Beam, vice president of Wolves of the Rockies. She said the issue would be raised at Thursday's Fish, Wildlife and Parks commission meeting in Helena, where commissioners will consider the 2013 wolf hunting season.

Animals such as wolves and grizzly bears can smell carcasses a mile away and sometimes further, said Doug Smith, a Yellowstone National Park wolf biologist. He said the wolf that was killed Sunday may have been attracted by the decaying meat.

Smith said information from the wolf's radio collar indicated that she was not involved in killing Hoppe's sheep.

Hoppe is a former president of the Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd. In January, he opposed the Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission's decision to close wolf hunting around Yellowstone National Park. He argues wolves are driving down the elk population in the area.

He did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Proud NRA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let me get this straight. Sheep ranchers aren't allowed to raise sheep if they also hunt?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Salmonella
And why the F.U.C.K this is in the San Francisco newspaper?

They might not be at their summer homes in Bozeman when the article was in the local newspaper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's guilty of offending the agenda supporters hang him!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have just used 1080.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot them all...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sako
Shoot them all...

Definitely, I shoot all sheep I see. wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If baiting in the libs was the goal, he's a GREAT success!

Only question that remains, what does one do with them once baited in?

I vote feed 'em to the wolves.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
His sheep are killed by wolves.

He takes their bodies to the gut pile

He obtains permits to kill a wolf

He kills wolf (under the law)

Wolf fluckers Cry foul.. Or wolf as it is,

Tree hugging hippies. He followed the law. These huggers are ruining our country one gay azz rape at a time.

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So what's the problem...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoppe "deliberately put the sheep on his property ... knowing that the wolves would kill them," Cooke charged.
So not only do "they" have the ability to read this man's mind, they expect him to exercise similar clairvoyance concerning the wolves' future actions? Humm...wonder if the wolves hung around because they knew eventually this man would EXERCISE HIS RIGHTS TO PUT SHEEP ON HIS OWN PROPERTY and thus give them the opportunity to kill said sheep resulting in their brethren being ultimately shot and thus unleashing their benefactor's rage to eventually further their cause and.....

You can't rationalize irrational thought.

Guarantee every one of the wolf worshippers have no problem whatsoever with abortion. Uh, that would be HUMAN abortion.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/10/13.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

I vote feed 'em to the wolves.

Have you learned nothing from this? THAT would be baiting!

grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If the wolves attack and kill again just call up Cooke and he can bury them. If he were to bury them in winter, (hard ground) then he has nothing to complain about.

Hunt smart, hunt safe
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Sako
Shoot them all...

Definitely, I shoot all sheep I see. wink

grin You seem confused! He talking about liberals, not sheep. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I wonder if it's extra to get a wolf mount with the ear tag or electronic collar intact...?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bigger issue is that he has endangered the entire NATIVE bighorn sheep population in the Northern Yellowstone area with this move. Bighorns frequent the area and if exposed to pneumonia from these recently implanted domestic sheep, the bighorns are done. I hate wolves and am glad he killed one and will hopefully kill another. But don't let this idiot fool you. He put sheep on his property that abuts YNP specifically for this purpose. He gets some cheap sheep, loses a few to wolves, gets 2 shoot on site permits, gets payed depredation payments for his loss, and a ton of publicity. He suffered no losses, only personal gain. All the while risking the lives of hundreds if not a thousand or more bighorn sheep. This guy is a selfish loser and should be exposed as such.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sounds to me like he's baiting the wolves, but managing to do so without breaking any laws. That's fine - there's enough back-and-forth with both sides bending the rules. Score 1 for the anti's and the game goes on.

Kind of a bad deal for the sheep though.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What makes you think his sheep have pneumonia, and even if they did, whats the chance of passing it on to the bighorns in the area when his sheep are fenced in? Is he the only one in that area that raises sheep? Sounds like everything he did was legal to me plus he basically got paid to shoot a couple of wolves - whats not to like about that. I applaud the guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Activists say wolf-killer is baiting the animals

[
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) � A big game outfitter who shot and killed a collared wolf from Yellowstone National Park is intentionally luring the animals by leaving dead sheep carcasses in a pile, leaders of a wolf advocacy group said.

GOOD X10

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm losing my mind to these treehugging idiots that surround me...

cry

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 35 invisible), 1,946 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.