Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So if you snore why not just get the c-pap and not bother with the sleep study? Seems like everyone gets the c-pap as the cure anyway.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need a prescription to buy one. The study determines the amount of air flow which is set on the machine to prevent the air way from closing. Some may need a setting of 12, 14, etc.

The air pillow is the smallest and most comfortable for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDW
I probably need one, the doctor suggested a sleep study but I have not gone in yet.

I looked at Google images at mask styles and none of them look like they would be comfortable face down. Although I probably prefer face down because I snore less. If I was sleeping well I would probably be on my side most all the time.

When you get up at night, can you un-hook the hose and leave the mask in place?

Are they by prescription only?

Do you buy the machine outright?

With the mask on you will not snore anymore. The mask just unclips if you have to get up or go to the bathroom. You can unhook the hose but just pop the clasp is much easier. They are by perscription only and have to be set5 at the supplier by there tech. You can reset it if you need to later on if your needs change if you want to or take it back in and they will do it for you. I have upped my pressure before when I felt it wasn't doing what I needed. I can not sleep without mine anywhere. You will sleep through most of the night without waking and sleep hard and in a deep sleep compared to what you are now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
I probably need one, the doctor suggested a sleep study but I have not gone in yet.

I looked at Google images at mask styles and none of them look like they would be comfortable face down. Although I probably prefer face down because I snore less. If I was sleeping well I would probably be on my side most all the time.

You "unhook" the mask from yer head, prescription and you own the machine once it's paid for by yourself or insurance. If you have insurance the machine and parts are supplied by a CPAP provider who will replace hoses, masks, etc. at prescribed intervals. If the machine fails they will replace it as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started with a nasal mask and took to it right away. Unfortunetly the air pressure was pushing the nightly congestion from my sinuses into my lungs causing chronic bronchitis.

I presented this theory to my Dr. and he perscribed the Darth Vader mask. It took a while for me to get used to it and find a comfortable pillow position but I stuck with it. I'm now sleeping great and no more bronchitis.

Dan

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sleeping hard is an understatement.

I'd had the malady for years prior to the first sleep study. When I awoke after the second sleep study the tech asked how I felt. I could hardly answer or open my eyes. Took me awhile to get my wits about me. It was almost euphoric when I left to go home. I was running around like a madman the rest of the day.

Took a week or so to get the supplies. In the meantime I was back to no sleep, no dreaming, etc. I was utterly exhausted and knew why so you can imagine how many times I called to find out about the status. They cringed whenever I called, a literal PIA I was.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by RDW

You "unhook" the mask from yer head, prescription and you own the machine once it's paid for by yourself or insurance. If you have insurance the machine and parts are supplied by a CPAP provider who will replace hoses, masks, etc. at prescribed intervals. If the machine fails they will replace it as well.
If it fails that will be the worst night of your life and your spouses if you have been use to sleeping with the machine. I speak from experience LOL. Mine diead so My wife went and borrowed one from her friend at work until they could bring me a new one the next couple of days. That is how I found out how to set the presures. I could not go to sleep without it that night I drove her crazy ..

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I need to get the sleep study done. I have all the symptoms you guys are describing. Waking up gasping for air on occasion, tired all the time etc. I find its worse if I have been drinking. I snore much worse and quit breathing during sleep at times. So is there such a thing as alcohol induced apnea or is it a case of if you have sleep apnea it just gets worse after consuming alcohol?

Will the study show you have it regardless?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It gets worse if you drink. The study will "find" it if you have the problem.

Four stages of sleep. Most beneficial are the third and fourth. This is where you recharge your batteries. I spent years in Rem1 and Rem2 without ever getting into Rem3 & Rem4. That's the reason I was exhausted. If you have sleep apnea you are constantly waking up during the night even though you may not know it.

Think of it as sleeping when you can still hear noises in the background and your trying to determine what they are. Over and over and over. Every night for days, weeks, months, etc.

BTW, the tech asked my what I dreamt about that night. Had quite a story. Then I realized I hadn't done that in years. Very odd feeling.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One other question. Do you have to have a medical doctor refer you for the sleep study or can you just go to where they do it at and have it done?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My ResMed CPAP is so quiet, my wife can't even tell if it is on.

As a side note that some may not mention....once you get your CPAP don't be surprised if you no longer are up and down needing to use the bathroom. For whatever reason, using a CPAP often helps.

When you get your machine be sure to get a humidifier with it. This keeps your throat and sinus from drying out. Keep the heat setting low. If you set it too harm on cold nights the hose can start forming condensation.

Don't be afraid of the mask all of them have emergency vents so if the power goes out you can still breath ambient room air.

Don't wait, get the sleep study and a machine. You'll be thanking us for the advice very soon. lol

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Depending on where you live there are a bunch on Craigslist.
I get my supplies cheaper without insurance because the copays are no outrageous on my sleep masks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was pretty young when I was diagnosed with SA. I didn't like the idea of being on CPAP so I opted (with some encouragement from a ENT) to try a surgical solution. I won't bore you with the stuff I had altered or removed, the bottom line is that it didn't work.

Put off going back for another sleep study for some time. When I finally did they said I had it pretty bad so I decided not to fight it anymore and got my CPAP. It took me a little while to get the right mask for me and it still can leak some depending on sleeping position (level 16 for me) but it does the job.

The bottom line is that I am almost worthless if I don't use it. Wished I had gotten in my mid 20's. Maybe my health wouldn't have taken as much of a dive if I'd of had more energy back then.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For those in the Reston, Va area, I had my sleep studies done at a lab located near Sunrise Valley and Reston Parkway. There is one lab tech in a control room and two patient rooms.

You show up around 9pm. He/she puts you in a room that seems like a hotel room. He hooks you up with a bunch of wires and sensors on the head, chest, arms, and legs. The also put a mask and connect it to a cpap. You go to bed, usually around 11pm. By 5pm they have you up, disconnected. If you have to use the bathroom, you just call out and the tech comes and disconnects you. You do your business and come back to get reconnected.

If you cannot sleep, or think that this may be the issue, ask your dr to prescribe an ambien tablet or two.

I went through one sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea, a second to determine the settings and a third because I did not fall asleep during the second. (Something about sleeping in a strange bed with a camera watching me, a new cpap mask on, and a bunch of wires attached to me affected my ability to sleep. The ambien worked for me.

If I recall correctly, they only needed a couple of hours of sleep to get the data. The techs want to go home before morning rush hour, so they cut you loose then as well.

My cpap experience is in line with everybody elses. No longer do I startle awake suddenly gasping for air. I had my first dream in almost 10 years the first night I wore the cpap. I no longer spend much of the day exhausted. And my high blood pressure has dropped to normal.

I would highly recommend getting a cpap.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Chuck. Good to see round these parts again.

That's the clinic I plan to use. However, as you pointed out I can almost guarantee I won't fall asleep. Just a thang. So the sleep aid did not skew the results and they knew you took it? i may have to use something. Hope the nurses are good looking. May need one of them to jump in the sack with me so I can sleep. cool

Question for your night stand armed sleepers. Did you lay your piece at bed side during the test? laugh

Seriously, this is all great information and could possibly wind up saving lives. I really thought it was just me strangely searching for air in the dark of night. I'm having the evaluation done ASAP!

Thanks to all!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well round 2 was a bust. mad
I didn't sleep long enough for them to get the info they needed.
After getting wired up,we did the mask dance to find a comfortable starting one,then additional masks to try throughout the night. I started w/ a nose only mask. It was surprisingly very quiet. I was also surprised at the amount of air that comes through these things! I actually couldn't tell it was even on until I opened my mouth,then WHOOOSH....sounded and felt like a tire blow out..hahaha (all the air that is not used at the mask during normal breathing gets exhausted at the mask). Since my open mouth was now the path of least resistance, (via my face), I got quite the startle. shocked
Also I couldn't talk w/ the nose mask on because of the same reason.

The tech changed masks a dozen time through the night trying to get one that would work.
We tried a face (covers mouth and nose) mask next, as she said I was opening my mouth.I find that hard to believe because of earlier experience. We couldn't get one to fit right, probably because of my facial hair. Or head,face,nose,combination etc.

A chinstrap was the next order of business,to keep my yap shut. Now, remember years ago how kids w/ mumps & toothaches were always portrayed? With the cloth wrapped around the head and tied on the top w/ a bow? Imagine that scenario w/ modern technology. (read that elastic and velcro) I KNEW THIS WAS NOT GOING TO WORK!
And it didn't. Back to different style nose mask. She (tech)was unable to get required results / adjustments before the session ended. mad Now to be fair,my fault not hers.

I told her earlier (while getting wired)that I usually change sleeping positions throughout the night.
She told me to do what I always do and not worry about the wires and tube. She would come in and reattach if necessary. I stayed on my back 99% of the time trying to get to sleep,didn't want to pull out the wires.(me again)
She came in a couple times and told me to "roll over and go to sleep" laugh I really wasn't uncomfortable, I just can not sleep even after a 10 min nap. If I sit down and close my eyes for 15 min.,I won't sleep for hours.

She then tells me (while unhooking me) that I have severe apnea,(no kidding)and would need additional test time.
Possibly a sleeping pill for one night to get good data. I don't like that idea at all.
Or possibly a bi-pap machine.Never heard of that either,but I have pretty good google-fu.

I can't imagine having to have one of these things forever, to sleep. Would take alot of getting used to on my part.
I am encouraged by the members here posting their positive accounts. Imagine if you only were allowed to sleep 2 hours a day, that's how I feel I"m functioning now. I have been told by close friends,I see it myself ,that I have changed in the last 2 years.I was chalking it up to getting older. Seems I may be completely wrong.
Someone posted here about having co workers that were now tolerable after CPAP, man that one kinda hit home.
That might be me. The words "life changing" have been used alot in this thread,I sincerely hope so.
If anyone has any questions for me,please ask.I am learning alot here,but would be glad to
answer from a new experience / procedures perspective.

And finally speaking of perspective, I was bi*chi*g over the last few weeks about this and especially Thur.after getting a last minute appointment. After logging off here, saying goodnight / bye to my wife,she gives me something to think about during the drive.

Whole lotta people gotta whole lotta worse problems than you.If your biggest bit*c* now is that you have to drive to the sleep center and sleep,then Boo Hoo.Lots of folks dealing w/ terminal illnesses,physical and mental problems,uncurable disease,untreatable cancer,therapy,dialysis,and you your biggest problem now is you have to go somewhere and sleep?!
I bet alot of people would be glad to trade places with you! Damn it,I hate when she's right,But she is.
She is aware that this is serious,but seemingly easily treated.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
it will make a huge difference. you might have to shave creatively to get the mask to seal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yea post that shave pattern it may be just the new trend for all the youngsters! LOL

Good on you for giving it a go. I was sure I would never wear one or be able to sleep with a mask but a couple weeks in my own bed and I hardly notice the mask. I use a full face mask as I breathe through my nose and mouth. I just pretend I am going scuba diving!! LOL Oh and you can do cool "Luke I am your father" impressions with it on. Gets a giggle the first week father that a kick. Still a much better reponse than the one I get to my dads favorite game "Catch a sock"

Keep with it and know there are many of us in the same boat and we are all pulling for you.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Dave,

I occasionally duck back onto the fire. Been pretty busy this past year. I was scheduled to go deer hunting last fall down along the Rappahannock River, but got sick. That was a bummer, as the area is a great walk. Even if I don't get a deer and then have to spend the rest of the day dragging it out.

My experience of some of the questions.

On the Ambien. I go through Kaiser Permanente. Because the results were so important to my health I played completely open. I had the sleep department request my GP for a prescription. I discussed it with the sleep technician early in the evening and took 1 tablet in her presence. It knocked me out from 11pm until about 2AM. When I woke up I asked her if I should take a second and she said no, she had gotten enough data. She was also probably concerned that if I did not wake up by 5 she would be stuck there for who knows how long. So it worked for me, anyway.

I tried two different masks. The first mask just covered my nose and like original poster, the air went shooting in my nose and out my open mouth. So I use a full face mask. It seems to work. Nightly, I put a bandaid on the bridge of my nose where the mask sits, to cushion the spot where the mask seems to put a dent. (Walmart - pack of 60 bandaids for $1.97) So far that seems to work for me.

There are chin-straps to keep the mouth closed and little cushions for the bridge of the nose. I found both to be pia's and do not use them.

I didn't carry into the sleep lab. I decided that, all wired up and under the influence of ambien, I would more likely be a gun donor than an effective defender. And frankly, if I was concerned that I was likely to be in a shootout at a sleep lab, it might be a suggestion that I was going to the wrong place. As always, ymmv.

The mask and particularly the hose do wear out. The hose starts to get pinholes in it from wear . (Duct-tape seemed to help a bit.) The rubberized hose ends, that grip the mask and cpap machine, start to weaken and come off too easily. Also, the mask starts to stretch and deform. Plus the mask seal starts to weaken as do the head straps. Additionally, my cpap at least, requires new filters every 6 months. Definitely check with your medical folks every 6-12 months.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Chuck. However, you did miss the most important part.

Are the sleep police cute? grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.