Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Also known medically as Hypertension. At 49 years......mine has reached the point of the 150-190 over 95-110 range. My doc and I are fighting cuz I think some of the side effects are worse than the slight positive effects of the meds..........go figure.

So, what do you all take and is it worth it and can you offer any of your thoughts on this fairly common health issue?

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You need meds. Hopefully, if you are overweight, exercise and starvation grin can help.

You don't need to loose your kidneys.

Last edited by eyeball; 05/11/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You fight to much and your doctor will drop you. Then you need to find another doctor.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR and ...

Prepare to make some real changes in your life ... Medication, Diet, Exercise ... and Prayer.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If I loose about 8-10 pounds it helps my blood pressure considerably. Good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Also known medically as Hypertension. At 49 years......mine has reached the point of the 150-190 over 95-110 range. My doc and I are fighting cuz I think some of the side effects are worse than the slight positive effects of the meds..........go figure.

So, what do you all take and is it worth it and can you offer any of your thoughts on this fairly common health issue?

Let me get very real with you man. My buddy has BP just like that but wouldn't take any medications. No, he thought diet and exercise was all he needed. He lost weight and was working out, but still the numbers stayed.

Two years and 5 months ago I found him dead in his house. That's right, dead as a [bleep] fence post. Why? He had a hemorrhagic stroke. Yep, that BP blew a blood vessel in his brain. That blows and you are dead.

Yeah some of those BP meds might make your pecker a little weak, but not near as weak as when you are [bleep] dead. Don't be a dumb azz like my buddy was.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/11/13.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Your kidding,right? You'd rather have a heart attack, or a stroke, have your kidneys destroyed or lose yoour vision than take a few pills.

Side effects of those pills can be overcome by taking another pill, its blue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
You need meds.

I agree, for multiple disease states grin

In all seriousness, I used to sell blood pressure medications and it needs to be treated ASAP

This is copied from JAMA

The lack of adequate control of hypertension in the United States has significant ramifications.1 Ninety-one percent of cases of heart failure are preceded by hypertension, and half of all patients who suffer a heart attack (and two thirds of those who have a first-time stroke) have a blood pressure greater than 140/90.2 During the 10-year period from 1991 to 2001, the actual number of deaths due to hypertension rose 53%.2 Considering the poor control of documented hypertension in the United States, the need for lifestyle counseling in prehypertensive patients poses a very serious challenge.

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/11/13.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter

This is a fight you will lose. Systolic pressure (when the heart beats) at 150-190 is not good. Diastolic pressure (the pressure in between beats) is even worse at 95-110 because your circulatory system never gets a break from the pressure.
like a person with 120/80 does. Long term it will increase your risk for heart attack and stroke and can cause enlargement of the left ventricle as it tries to push against the pressure. There are several different drugs that work in different ways to lower the pressure. Ask the MD to try some different ones. Control of your BP (diet, exercise, losing weight and meds) will keep you on the planet longer.

ps.....I have the same challenge.

Last edited by AFTERUM; 05/11/13.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pills-and I push them-in most cases are a temporary fix. Although most go on their merry way and keep upping the dosage or combinations. Then long term the side effects kick in.

It is a fairly common health issue, but that doesn't mean it isn't a long term serious one to be ignored. Or one that can't be fixed in the relative short term with life style changes in most cases. Leave it go long enough and pills perhaps will be the only answer. Which isn't the best answer.

If the Doc only stresses pills as the answer. Find a different one.

In the vast majority of people, the cure or fix for HBP lies in the hands of the patient. Put enough pressure down an enclosed pipe system and eventually something blows.

Last edited by battue; 05/11/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
HTCZ Hydrochlorothiazide is good and wont give sexual side effects. try it. you will have to urinate frequently though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Depends on the reason. Losing weight might not help. My brother weighed 130 lbs when first diagnosed with HBP when in his late 20's. I have always been larger. Until I got up to 220 a few years ago, at about 50, mine always stayed around 135/85. If I could get down to 200 I believe I could stop taking medicine.

I was reluctant to take the medicine too. DO IT. I don't know your history, If you lose weight and no longer need it you can stop. If it is genetic like in my brother, the side effects are nothing compared to what HBP will eventually do to you and losing the weight won't stop it. It will help.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
diuretics alone will not do what he needs to do......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Most things in life are compromises. One knows the possible consequences and makes their decision based on such.

None of us are getting out of this alive, it all depends on what consequences one is comfortable with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dr. started me on diuretics and that didn't work worth crap. Then he put me on altace and hytrin and that brought it down to normal. I'm 57 and knew for years that BP was in issue for me and like every other macho man thought I could do it with diet but never did. I'm glad I submitted to his advice as others have pointed out, the side effects of not controlling it are monumental. Another organ affected by high BP are the eyes. Don't screw around, let the Doc do what he does best.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Doc put me on Lotril no side affects my BP stays around 122/75 now.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The meds do have side effects that suck. I am about to drop off the medications with the doctors blessing but had to change my eating habits and drop 50 pounds to do it. Not all BP issues are due to weight though. Should take the meds and work together with Doc to work your way back off them.....maybe.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since the consequences of HBP are slow in developing most don't think it is all that important to get it under control ASAP. Much like diabetes. Take the pill and have a donut. It's under control, my numbers are good. Then a few years later take two pills and have a donut. Numbers are good.

Then one day your feet hurt, your circulation has gone to chit and they cut off a foot along with not being able to see much.

Many don't know the consequences nor if told imagine they will happen to them. There numbers are good. Sleep with a rattlesnake long enough and eventually you will get bit.

Last edited by battue; 05/11/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Without meds, I am in the 190's over 1teens. 44 y/o and could loose 15-20 lbs. Good cholesterol levels. I take lisinopril and don't particularly like it. Mostly the dry throat and caugh, but that sure beats blown blood vessels in the top knot. Don't [bleep] with schit like this. Maybe your wife or buddies don't want an Armedandfree story.

Last edited by calikooknic; 05/11/13. Reason: wrong story credit

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I been on Hyzarr for many moons and it has only kept my BP down, no problems with side effects. Untreated, the possibility for stroke outweigh and other considerations!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.