-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're not doves or pheasants that get your adrenaline going when you flush them out or have a large covey fly overhead. These 'birds' are shooting back. You will not take your time and line up every shot, take a breath and concentrate on trigger control, no, you will shat your pants and pull the trigger for two or three clicks when it is already emty.

Sean

A
AHF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Cali, do not confuse Law Enforcement with hunting. I am also a hunter. A Law Enforcement officer MUST know where EACH of his shots are going. He/she is ultimately responsible for every round discharged from their weapon. Training Academys and field experience teach officers how to act/react to armed encounters with the least amount of ammunition possible, avoiding co-latteral damage to the extent as humanly possible. Spray and Pray is never taught in any accredited training that I have ever attended. And I have been to a lot.

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175

I would rather have a Good Old 94 Win in 30-30 if i was going to a gun fight than any pistol

While I agree the 30-0 would be better than a pistol round, the range is severely lacking in it, especially when compared to a 223...

Not saying that in this case they needed range...

Just a thought as we walk into our fictitious yet possible "gun fight" ..... Sometimes distance from your intended target is a good thing. Especially when you have the ability to reach out and touch somebody and that somebody doesn't.

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AHF
Cali, do not confuse Law Enforcement with hunting. I am also a hunter. A Law Enforcement officer MUST know where EACH of his shots are going. He/she is ultimately responsible for every round discharged from their weapon. Training Academys and field experience teach officers how to act/react to armed encounters with the least amount of ammunition possible, avoiding co-latteral damage to the extent as humanly possible. Spray and Pray is never taught in any accredited training that I have ever attended. And I have been to a lot.

You mean like those NYC cops that used a crowd for their back stop and those CA cops who shot up the wrong make and model of pickup truck with two hispanic women it it when they were looking for a black male???

AHF, you sound like one of the old breed that knew how to do the job right. Just because you did things right, that doesn't mean the rest of your profession was up to your standards.

Now, to be fair to the officers in the video, someone asked why they didn't see the perp in the car. If you view the other camara angle you can see those windows were heavily tinted.

My ohter thought when I see this video, or hear about the guy taking 22 rounds of 9mm is "what ammo where they using?" FMJ, Gold Dots, lead semi-wad cutters?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
AHF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Antelope, sadly, you are correct. That is a very large portion of the reasons that I am poppin' smoke early. I am mandatory in 5 years, but I just can't put up with the way enforcement is leaning now a days. I just hope that in retirement that I don't have to be on the public side of contact with this new breed of LEO.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks A-S, perfect reply.

AHF, not trying to be Richard Weasel, but what you see in most videos these days is far from calm, cool, and collected Harry Calahan'ish.

Six shots from a revolver will certainly do it, but not most holding it. That most certainly includes most CCW holders that I deal with when pulling range duty or just there to shoot myself.

Last edited by calikooknic; 05/11/13.

Sean
A
AHF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Cali, your observations and point of view are spot on. An officers main priority is to go home to his loved ones at the end of his/her shift. It is very difficult to balance this priority and placing the wellbeing of John Q. Public in jeopardy. Putting up a wall of lead to insure you go home at the end of shift can have extreme ramifications in the aftermath. Yes, the videos we are seeing now a days show a lot of spray and pray with high capacity handguns but what most don't see is what happens a month or so down the road when the investigation findings come to light and the officer is brought up on charges of unauthorized use of his sidearm /or use of his sidearm contrary to department policy. But, he/she did go home at the end of their shift! A lot of sand box vets are landing jobs in LE and bringing their combat training with them. Great for self survival, bad for law enforcement. Battlefield weapons tactics and urban law enforcement tactics are two completely different worlds.

Last edited by AHF; 05/11/13.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
use of his sidearm contrary to department policy

Would that be the policy written by someone behind a desk who has never actually done chit himself? I am familiar with that kind of policy, one that you look at and say "Who the [bleep] wrote that?" or that experienced officers identify as nothing but a trick bag.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/12/13.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AHF
Raisuli? That you?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AHF
Antelope, sadly, you are correct. That is a very large portion of the reasons that I am poppin' smoke early. I am mandatory in 5 years, but I just can't put up with the way enforcement is leaning now a days. I just hope that in retirement that I don't have to be on the public side of contact with this new breed of LEO.
No, definitely not Raisuli. That makes way too much sense for him.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
bump

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Just why would someone need more than ten rounds? These trained police officers engaged a single shooter and fired 22 rounds by my count, and that's just what I can see. Had that been a citizen and he gotten any kind of drop on then, having only ten rounds, he would be dead.

You cannot have too much ammo when you are defending yourself

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/09/3389013/video-depicts-wild-shootout-that.html

Exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by steelheadslayer
that was a good shot through the crook of the tree, but i cant believe three officers missed that guy sitting in the car, adrenaline i guess?.
what happened to the officer that went down by the suv?

He took several rounds in the lower abdomen, beneath his vest and continued fighting. Though grievously wounded, he survived and testified against the owner of the grow house last week.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.