-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a 7.5" Redhawk that was made in 1984 and is as well fitted as any I have owned. It shoots great. I am sending it to Hamilton Bowen on Monday for the start of the custom work. I have wanted to do this for some time. Bowen will work his magic on the action and cut the barrel to 4.5". The plan over time also includes light engraving. I will show pics as work progresses.

[Linked Image]

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

What a great project. Is there a pic on Bowen's site that gives us an idea of which direction you're going in?

Or would that spoil the surprise?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bowen shows a "Kodiak" conversion in his catalog which has a 4" barrel and a lanyard ring. I'm not getting the lanyard ring and think the 4.5" barrel will look and balance a little better. Also having the Power Custom front sight with white line post installed. I can see that better. I will have to find someone to do the engraving after I get it back from BCA.

Last edited by lastround; 05/11/13.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd like to have a lanyard ring installed in my Bisley. Need to look at his site and see what that would run.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Site is: Bowenclassicarms.com

Doug
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thank you, sir.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm really interested in how this turns out for you. Bowen is actually local to me and I've got a Redhawk of similar vintage to yours. I've been waffling on just going ahead and giving it to Bowen for several years now.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice as is

I hope it workes out

What you gonna use it for?

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Snake.
Yes, this particular Redhawk is in like new condition. Every part is fitted really well. I always look closely at the crane to frame area and this one fits (some not so much).

As to what I will use it for? Woods and trail gun as well as in the console of the truck. It will weigh about 48 oz. after barrel shortening so it will carry much better. I have an early 80s Roy's Hidden Thunder shoulder rig (pictured) that will carry it well. Plus, I plan to shoot the hell out of it.

Last edited by lastround; 05/13/13.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guyandarifle,
You should go for it. Bowen is a little pricey but I'm convinced that he is one of the best. I had him do basically the same thing to a Redhawk that was not as nice as this one about 10 to 12 years ago and was well pleased with his firm's work. That one was a lot rougher than this, so it wasn't a candidate for anything fancy. I ended up letting it go elsewhere to live. Not this one. I will definetly post detailed pictures as it progresses. Bowen is busy, so it will be a few months.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a factory 7.5" Redhawk that is box stock except for Bowen made up some sights, and that thing is so darn silly accurate I couldn't bear to make any changes. Great Gun, Luv that Redhawk!!!

Something about the Redhawk design that fits me well. Having Hamilton fix one up right should be a treat you'll enjoy for decades to come.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I imagine yours is a .44mag.

This one is a .41, but looks a lot like your description.

Gunbroker

Rick
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, mine is a 44 mag. That 41 mag would be nice to have also. They are getting kind of rare; every once in a while on GB one will pop up. Mine will keep the square butt grip though. The front sight on that Alpine is the one I am getting with a white line post and will have the white outline rear Rough Country sight. I went with a 4.5" barrel to help balance and to my eye, I like the look. By the way, mine shipped this afternoon. Now the waiting starts..................

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.