Print Thread
Hop To
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I was looking for a cheap way to extend the public land SC hunting season. Thought about sending in my old SB1 for a muzzle loader fitting. Was wondering if there was any experience w. such a set up on the 'fire. Or just look for a used rig.

Thanks,
Ella

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Friend of mine has a 50 cal ML on a handi. Seems to shoot pretty well, and he has taken a few deer with his.

His was a Buffalo Classic to start with, and he also shortened the barrel to 24" from 32".

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there was a company that made a muzzleloader barrel for the handi rifle that was for black powder and smokeless powder muzzleloading. named smokeless muzzle loading or something like that.

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the comments.

Shooter, I think I'll just send it back to the factory since DNR regs require blackpowder or equiv. anyway.

From what I see on the webpage, they only do the 50 cal conversion. Wonder what that's going to feel like on the light weight "pardner" frame. Might have to add a squishy pad.

Anyone else ran one?

Ella

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
The Huntsman barrels are fine on a SB1 frame. Mine is a 24 inch stainless. I replaced the breech plug with the Metrics Unlimited 209 breech plug. (link below) It's very accurate, and I've killed a number of deer with it. All one shot kills.

http://metricsunlimited.com/

Pete

IC B2

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks, Pete. I didn't see the breech plug at that link, but I'll call them. Sounds like a useful add on.

I'm planning to send in the action after turkey season. I've got a 20 ga barrel on it now that I like to tote sometimes for the birds.

Ella

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the 50 cal set up for my Handi, was figuring to sell it at some point as I have another mz now. Good shooter.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have the factory Sidekick which is a modified receiver for muzzleloader only. It is very accurate with all the loads I have used. Currently am using BH209 and a breech plug by Hubbard. I did not like the factory breech plug at all. It let too much crud into the action. Today I would get the Metrics Unlimited breech plug. Hubbard discontinued his because of H&R's sloppy tolerances on the threads.

For the price of fitting the muzzleloader barrel and a metrics breech plug, a fellow can have a very good rifle. BTW, I paid $140 otd for my Sidekick. H&R was supposed to update and reintroduce the muzzleloader, but I guess the bean counters said no. The only weaknesses were the breech plug and the collapsible ramrod.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I seldom use the factory ramrod. I usually hunt from a stand and take a solid one piece rod with me......I've never had to use it. All one shot kills so far. I use the solid rod at the range also.

Pete

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use a range rod when sighting in and use a Ben Hubbard replacement ramrod when in the field. I do not know if Hubbard is still in business, but his product is superb. The two glaring weaknesses of the Sidekick/Huntsman were the weak ramrod and the breech plug/primer holders. Ben took care of both problems for me. My Sidekick is as accurate as my Omega and a darn sight cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about recoil as the barrel is a pretty heavy untapered barrel. BTW, the Metrics Unlimited breech plug and BH 209 would be a fine setup. Use a range rod except when in the field, and use the factory rod for a field reload and it will work fine.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 05/07/13.
IC B3

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks, all, for sharing. I sent it off to get fitted. I guess when it comes back, I'll post my new questions in the muzzleloader section. Looking forward to fooling around with it.

Ella

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm gonna stick my neck out a hair with this, but myself and others are shooting smokeless in the Huntsman with the Metrics Unlimited breech plug. The key to the whole thing is it HAS TO BE A SABOT and it has to be the MU breech plug. The sabot is your safety valve. Overpressure will blow past the sabot. It will not blow by with a full bore load as with a cast or jacketed bullet. The nice thing is you can shoot all day and never have to clean. I got a nice buck last winter with the Huntsman, but I obeyed Michigan law and used a 209 primer, Harvester sabot, .451 240 gr. XTP and two Triple Seven 50 gr. pellets. You can replicate that load with 3031 or other rifle powders. Check Savage's website for their smokeless ML loads.

This opens a whole new world of possibilities. I haven't got a clue why H&R hasn't gotten together with MU and come out with a factory smokeless muzzleloader. I love it because I can spend a lot of time with my Huntsman without an equal time cleaning.

Pete

Best of luck

Last edited by petemi; 05/14/13.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never considered a smokeless Sidekick, even though a friend of mine builds smokeless MLs on Remington and Savage actions. I just might consider a Metrics Unlimited breech plug before fall. I am really happy with BH 209, so I might not try smokeless. But you have my curiosity up.

Are you running the smokeless much faster than the 777 loads, or are you just wanting a cleaner load? BTW, my Sidekick has the early 7/8" breech plug. Does that make any difference?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
No, I'm not using smokeless to hotrod it...just to keep it cleaner and have more bench time and less mess. I'm shooting about the same velocities as with the Triple Sevens.

I'd contact Metrics Unlimited. I think they make the 7/8 plug also.

Good luck. Let me know how you make out.

Pete

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks.

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Metrics Unlimited makes a 5/8 and a 7/8 at $33.50 per.

Got an email last week from Remington confirming they received my action. 4-6 weeks to wait.

Too bad smokeless isn't legal in SC. I don't think BH is either....

Ella

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Updating and a new question.

Had a good deer season with this set up. Recognized two short comings I'd like to address. The trigger needs work and the ramrod is unsatisfactory. (I already got a MU breech plug and used it this past season.)

I tried to contact Hubbard but have been unable to reach him for some months. Read elsewhere me might not be making rods any more. Anybody have an alternative recommendation?

Thanks,
Ella

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 20 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,146
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.