Campfire Regular
F
looking for a breakfast casserole thought i had seen one on here years ago

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No real recipe. Just fry up bacon and or sausage, ham, etc. fry hash browns and eggs in the grease, add cheese.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a large Dutch oven, brown a pound or more bulk sausage. Drain excess grease.
Add two dozen beaten eggs. Add in 4 cut up baked potatoes. Add in a pound cooked bacon. Add In a dozen torn slices of bread. Mix well.
Cover place in hot coals, cook until the eggs are cooked.

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That sounds awesome Sam!

Thanks!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife makes a breakfast casserole where she browns breakfast sausage with green peppers and onions, then pours scrambled eggs in the mix and cooks until done. Then in a casserole dish she puts a layer of flour tortillas dipped in enchilada sauce, a layer of the sausage/egg/pepper/onion mix, and a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat until dish is full. Bake in oven until nice and hot. Serve. We take to church breakfasts and never have any to bring home.

Not sure what she calls it, but TexMex Breakfast Enchilada slop sounds like a good name for it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mr. Dell's shredded hash brown potatoes has a good recipe on it's package. Easy to modify at your discretion.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How about a frittata?

Or, cassarole

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
got one at home that the wife makes for company/famdamly , I'll round it up ...it is a REAL winner.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good news wife has it on her pc at work! ...guess it helps to work at the newspaper and have access to every thing u ever typed for 20+ years !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This hearty breakfast dish is one that our family fixes several times a year. A favorite occasion such as having relatives staying at the house or before the guys take off for that fishing/hunting trip. It is also a favorite for special holidays because it is made the evening before, therefor, leaving holiday morning open for family time. This dish really satisfies the appetite and holds off any hunger pains until well into the afternoon. We set our oven timer to automatically go on while we're still sleeping so when we awake it is ready to eat!

BREAKFAST for real men!
1/2 cup butter
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/4 cup yellow onions, chopped
1/2 cup green peppers, diced
1 1/2 cup mild Italian sausage (or moose sausage/caribou sausage)

Egg/Milk Mixture
5 eggs
2 cups milk
3 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)

12 slices buttered bread, crusts removed
4 cups sharp cheese, grated
2 tbsp parsley, chopped

1. Grease 9x13 casserole dish or cake pan.
2. In skillet melt butter & brown mushrooms, onions and green pepper until tender (6-8 minutes) set aside.
3. Cook sausage and cut into small pieces.
4. Place 6 slices of bread in bottom of casserole dish or cake pan - top with 1/2 of mushroom/onion/green pepper mixture, 1/2 sausage, 1/2 cheese.
5. Mix together eggs, milk and seasonings.
6. Pour half egg/milk/seasoning mixture over this first layer.
7. Repeat another layer on top of the first layer (6 slices bread, 1/2 mushroom/onion mixture, 1/2 sausage, 1/2 cheese).
8. Pour the rest of the egg/seasoning mix over this 2nd layer.
9. Sprinkle parsley on top
10. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (this allows time for the milk and eggs mixture to soak into the bread)

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes then check and tent with foil for another 1/2 hour or until thoroughly hot.
Serve immediately

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like it sayz u make the day prior ...I like to place it in fridge till we got to bed at 930/10pm... set the timer/oven and bam! its ready when it time to get up...and no I don't care if food it "set out"...it taste better ...for real men only. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one I've cooked up in camp and on the patio several times. Tastes mighty fine and easy to make.

Enjoy.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BREAKFAST for real men!

I love these, and that looks like a great example.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like cleaning out that DO would be a nightmare...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Looks like cleaning out that DO would be a nightmare...

Naaah, just have about six hungry eaters dig in and then turn the dogs loose on the pot. It'll be nice and slick pretty quick! wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is one that is real easy to remember -

1 doz eggs
1 lb grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
1 cup Bisquick

Mix together (don't over mix it - a little lumpy is okay) and add whatever floats your boat - diced, cooked sausage or bacon, ham, onions, green chilis, whatever. Pour into a greased baking pan and bake in a preheated 350 oven until lightly browned. If you like it drier, cook it golden brown all over the top. This is also good cold. Can top with salsa, hot sauce, sour cream - whatever.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've made this one on a number of occasions and it is always a hit.

1 1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
10 English muffins, diced (about 12 cups)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (12 oz)

Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain.

Spread half of the diced muffins in pan; top with half of the sausage, half of the onions and half of the cranberries. Repeat layers with remaining muffins, sausage, onions and cranberries.

In large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper with wire whisk until well blended; pour over mixture in pan. Sprinkle cheese over top. Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray; place sprayed side down over pan. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Heat oven to 325�F. Bake covered 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until top is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Finally got home, and can access my files. Traveling, I just take the iPad, and can't get to my recipe info.
This is a recipe for 'Strata', a breakfast casserole. Started making this back in the early eighties.
Strata,
A breakfast casserole

Butter a three quart casserole dish

1 � pound loaf of home made bread, or other dense bread
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 med onion, fine diced
1 bell pepper, find diced
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
7 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tbls Worcester sauce
1 Tsp Cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Saut� the pepper and onion in olive oil. Add the pork sausage. Cook, then drain well, and set aside

Place half the bread in the casserole dish. Spread the sausage over the bread. Top with half the cheese. Layer the rest of the bread on the cheese.

Beat the eggs. Add to the milk in a bowl, and mix well. Add the spices, salt and pepper.

Pour the combined eggs and milk into the casserole. Press down with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350�. Unwrap the Casserole, and place in the oven. Cook uncovered for 45 min. Remove casserole, and top with the remaining 4 ounces of grated cheese. Place the casserole back in the oven, and cook until the center is set, about another 30 min.

Variations:
Chorizo sausage, green chilies, cilantro, Monterey Jack Pepper cheese

Sliced Kielbasa, ham, or other meat, layered instead of pork sausage, and leaving out the saut�ed pepper and onion. Saut�ed mushrooms.

Wheat bread, instead of white

Add more cheese, or leave it out

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 10 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,511
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.