Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I really enjoy shooting prairie dogs with my Cooper M21 and M22 rifles, but wish a right-bolt-left-port option was available. In lieu of such, I wonder how well a left-handed version of the Cooper Varminter/MTV might work on the shooting bench? The stocks have a straight comb, so that shouldn't cause any issues for a right-handed shooter. Working the bolt and feeding ammo with the left hand seems easy enough as well. Anyone currently doing such a thing? If so, how do you like it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do the opposite. I'm a lefty and I prefer Husqvarna rifles which are all righty's. Never really bothered me though.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
My youngest son is LH and left eyed and he's always shot RH rifles and shotguns left handed. I always thought it was better for him to get used to RH hand safetys so as not to make a mistake when switching from RH to LH. I also didn't like the idea of having both RH and LH guns around since we have visitors shooting at our range frequently.
He handles the RH guns just fine.

John

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Someone,I believe Savage, used to offer such a rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Working the bolt and feeding ammo with the left hand seems easy enough as well.

You've answered the biggest question (bolt clearance to leave your trigger hand in place) but it does take a bit of dexterity to load rounds with your left hand.

A Cooper might be kinda spendy to experiment with; a Savage of some sort or even a 700 might be a cheaper way to see if it works for you.

Of course this all assumes that you're ok with the gas handling of the LH action.

Prairie dog/bench is where I have considered putting a LH thumbhole stock on a RH action (I'm a lefty.)

Support your local brewer.
IC B2

8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Someone,I believe Savage, used to offer such a rifle.

Savage does make a Long Range Precision Varmint Rifle with RBLP configuration, but I do not care for Savage rifles. I'm not knocking Savage; they're just not my cup of tea.

8SNAKE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pointbock
You've answered the biggest question (bolt clearance to leave your trigger hand in place) but it does take a bit of dexterity to load rounds with your left hand.

I have a Nesika with RBLP configuration, and I find it pretty easy to drop ammo in the left port (being a single shot with a solid floor plate helps a lot). I'm not sure how it would feel to work the bolt with my left hand, but I suspect that I'd get used to it much like I did loading the Nesika.

J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Seems like me in the mirror. I shoot a lefty stock with a right hand bolt and love it off the bench.
I am left-eyed and right-handed.

For hunting hogs (multiple quick shots), I prefer a lefty bolt.

jcc

Last edited by JCC; 05/14/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If something nasty happens, which side would vent gasses? I am a lefty who shoots rh actions exclusively. I've never had a problem, but have seen the gas release question raised in the past.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
When I found out that even though I am right handed I was also left eye dominate I was so excited there was maybe a reason why I was the worst shot between my buddies. The more I kept both eyes open, the worst I shot.

I went out and bought a lh rifle and lh shotgun. I have more problems getting my feet correct, right foot forward. Sounds simple, but I had a problem. The hands correct and working the bolt was easy. Must just be foot impaired!

I solved my problem, rh rifle, close left eye, and keep lh in the safe. With this sales frenzy climate, the next time I take them out of the safe I should be able to trade them for pure gold.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Know a fella that is left handed and sometimes shoots RH guns. Not too long ago he was shooting an 8 Bore double. Trigger configuration on such being geared toward a right handed shooter he managed a double due to a lack of foresight.

He had iron tracks on his face and a galactic epiphany between his ears.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.