Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Read that the rifle can be shot without the buffer retainer in place and that prevents a pontential problem of it breaking and falling inside into trigger group area and also keeps a constant pressure on the bolt as well.
Curious as to your thoughts on this.

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
of the 9 carbines and rifles I have owned and the few thousand rounds I have fired I have never had a problem with the standard configuration. Jeff who has probably fired a few million rounds should chime in.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
where do you come up with this stuff?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Top secret ,cant tell ya.
Oh ok I tell.
When I was watching a video on how to put lower parts kit in a GWACS armory stock the guy mentioned that you could put it in or leave it out.

Last edited by bcraig; 05/09/13.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never seen the retainer pin break. FWIW.

Not sure it would bother me to not have one though either. Just be careful taking it apart...grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And what I"m afraid of locking up the lower trigger is a primer.... thats almost always what gets in there to monkey things up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys, I am just trying to learn .
Craig
I got the vid up in one of my earlier post.

Last edited by bcraig; 05/09/13.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
And what I"m afraid of locking up the lower trigger is a primer.... thats almost always what gets in there to monkey things up.

An AR Gold trigger makes that much less likely to occur, the locking up that is. I have a friend to took his lower apart and dumped a half-dozen or so primers out of it. Try that with a GI trigger. The FIRST primer will likely lock the trigger up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

An AR Gold trigger makes that much less likely to occur, the locking up that is. I have a friend to took his lower apart and dumped a half-dozen or so primers out of it. Try that with a GI trigger. The FIRST primer will likely lock the trigger up.

How is this happening to you guys? A half-dozen? What's up with that! Something isn't right. I've never had a primer fall out of a case.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Remember that highly discounted primer pocket swager that you picked up at the last gun show for a steal?

Or the guy that is using his first primer pocket reamer?

I've been that guy...

My favorite was a shooting buddy that decided to use his case de-burring tool on the edges of his primer pockets...

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/09/13.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can use a debur tool... VERY VERY VERY carefully...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pdcrig
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

How is this happening to you guys? A half-dozen? What's up with that! Something isn't right. I've never had a primer fall out of a case.

Try Federal Gold Medal Match Factory 223 ammo... it looses primers left and right, soft brass. Always has been.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
and another thing about federal..

I bought a bunch of their 62 grain fusion loads back when you could buy ammunition, the primers are crimped in those loads, and if you chuck up a VLD in a power drill you can carefully remove the primer crimp.

I have never had a primer pop out, but I guess I am just lucky cause I have only been shooting these rifles since 1976 or so.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've lost primers in Federal cases. Never had one lock up a trigger but it does happen, even heard of one popping into the gas key. Shoot some of the hotter surplus ammo in the hot summer heat and its gonna happen.

This brings up why you want that retainer pin in there. If you have to open the upper for any reason, that buffer and spring is gonna be in your way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcraig
Thanks guys, I am just trying to learn .
Craig
I got the vid up in one of my earlier post.

I hope what you learned here is that you'll hear all sorts of witchcraft hocus pocus for the AR. Leave it the way it was designed. It was designed that way for a reason. A long time ago. There have been minor tweeks, but the basic design is an excellent one that works.

As for primers, I have never had one pop off. But I've seen it a handful of times. On both factory and reloads. Never seen a stuck trigger. But in the end, it's a bunch of parts put together. Anything can fail or have a weak point. This is where the saying "two is one and one is none" comes from.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
anybody can say anything on the internet, but its good that you post and ask questions. In the end I never buy the first year of anything, and I never change anything that has been proven to work.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had that exact problem with a 'r guns' lower. The buffer hammered enough on the retainer that it eventually popped it out and caused a jam that had to be cleared by popping both lower pins. After studying the problem I could see a gouge on the bottom of the buffer where it had been hitting the retainer pin. The buffer should never hit the retainer pin and the retainer pin should only come into play when the action is opened. As the properly spec'd action is closed the buffer should be pushed back off the brp. To fix mine I turned the buffer tube in 1 turn to make a new shoulder to reengage the brp. Also I relieved the bottom of the buffer enough that it follows the bcg all the way down and rests on the rear of the carrier and never touches the brp during firing. I think in my lower the hole for the brp had been drilled just a tad to far back. Thus lower at least at this point was out of spec. The lower had been fired several 100 times before this happened. It has been fired a couple 100 more since my 'fix' with no problems.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I had a retainer pin break once, not while firing of course but I took it apart to clean and once a separated the upper and lower it gave way. Ran for a long time without one worked fine couldn't really tell a difference, finally got a new pin in and it has not failed since. I will say it is way more practical when taking it apart to have the pin.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1Longbow, 22250rem, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,234
Posts18,504,419
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.