Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my qualifications yesterday, and I was feeling like a bit of a smart azz.

Stage three was a shot while withdrawing to cover. There are only 6 rounds in the mag for that stage. The stage starts at 7 feet and ends up at 18 feet. Let me say they do not like head shots.

So, on the command I draw from snap down and roll the Glock 23 out one handed and fire two rounds that land just above the belt line dead center. (Bottom of the abdominal aorta) as I withdraw I fire two more that land in the heart, aortic arch area. Then behind the barricade I go straight weaver stance and hammer two dead center of the head.

Instructor is livid. He says "What the [bleep] was that, head shots?" I said, " I shot the mo' [bleep] 4 times and he didn't fall down and I only have two round left, gotta make then count!" He says, "Stop being a [bleep] smart azz!!"

So then we get to the last stage. It is a walking stage and the instructor calls the shot. 12 rounds for that stage. I start walking and he starts calling. I'm hammering them into the heart region, nice and tight in the center. I get to the last target and fire one into the heart, and the second right between the eyes.

Instructor blows up, "What the [bleep] was that?" I respond, "I missed!" he says, "Bull [bleep] chit you missed!"

Then came the shotgun. Last stage, 25 feet three targets 4 rounds #4 buckshot. On the call I fire one round on the left targets head, two on the center targets head and one on the right targets head. Blew big holes in the heads because I had one of the few shotguns with an IC choke.

Instructor is steaming now, "What the [bleep] was that?" I say, "dead mo' [bleep]!" He yells, "You will reshoot that stage!" (like I'm going to complain about shooting more free ammo.)

So, I line up to do it again. I fire one center chest on the left target, one in the ball sack and then one in the chest on the center target, then a chest hit on the right target.

Instructor again is livid, "What the [bleep] is that shooting him in the balls!" I say, "I missed again!" He say, "[bleep] that bullchit, you pull that chit again and I'll toss you off the range!"

I had fun, won't be doing that next time, but will again down the line.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/14/13.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Haha that made my day reading that!

A
AHF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
On my range, after the second errant adventure, you would be removed from the range for failing to follow established procedures, SAFETY VIOLATION! A FTQ will be issued on your quarterly qualification report and your supervisor notified of your FTQ. Now the supervisor has to re-schedule you for another day at the range, taking you off of patrol and wasting two days on you. It is also highly possible that your supervisor would pull your sidearm, enroll you in a week long class on firearms/range safety, and not return you to armed patrol until such time as you satisfactorily pass the safety class.

Failing to follow established range commands is absolutely unacceptable behavior for a professional armed and credentialed officer.

Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well at least ya know when the chips are down you'll come out ahead...No pun intended.

Great Job.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AHF
On my range, after the second errant adventure, you would be removed from the range for failing to follow established procedures, SAFETY VIOLATION! A FTQ will be issued on your quarterly qualification report and your supervisor notified of your FTQ. Now the supervisor has to re-schedule you for another day at the range, taking you off of patrol and wasting two days on you. It is also highly possible that your supervisor would pull your sidearm, enroll you in a week long class on firearms/range safety, and not return you to armed patrol until such time as you satisfactorily pass the safety class.

Failing to follow established range commands is absolutely unacceptable behavior for a professional armed and credentialed officer.

NOPE. He missed. Pretty simple. NO real penalties for that unless he missed his round count/score pass/fail.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AHF

I said they don't like head shots, I didn't say they don't count as hits. There is no policy, training or otherwise, saying never to shoot for the head. The score block runs from the bottom of the abdominal aorta to just above the eyes. ( that block is a very fine line that you can't see unless you are right on top of it)

The fact is, they discourage head shots because 95% of the officers can't consistently hit it. They discourage it with a shotgun because they say "How will we defend that in court" At least that is what I'm told. The department is very court shy.

The fact is, as it is in many departments, they train to the mediocre rather than to excel. They set a standard that is easy to make, but just don't exceed it. Just like when I stack rounds together, they used to tell you to spread them out.

For example, if you hit an elbow, or even cut the outer line it is counted as a hit.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AHF

Lighten up Francis. He's already demonstrated he can shoot the pants right off your instructor. (egos have been insulted) Even range time gets a little boring after a while. Live a little, have some fun. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let's understand, I am no super shooter, I know plenty of guys that can hand me my hat. But I do put 1000's of rounds down range, combat style, every year. That does show.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many of us here, LEO and not, can give a good report on a day at the range!

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by AHF

I said they don't like head shots, I didn't say they don't count as hits. There is no policy, training or otherwise, saying never to shoot for the head. The score block runs from the bottom of the abdominal aorta to just above the eyes. ( that block is a very fine line that you can't see unless you are right on top of it)

The fact is, they discourage head shots because 95% of the officers can't consistently hit it. They discourage it with a shotgun because they say "How will we defend that in court" At least that is what I'm told. The department is very court shy.

The fact is, as it is in many departments, they train to the mediocre rather than to excel. They set a standard that is easy to make, but just don't exceed it. Just like when I stack rounds together, they used to tell you to spread them out.

For example, if you hit an elbow, or even cut the outer line it is counted as a hit.

Aparently they don't much like humor either. wink laugh

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does your PD have a marksmanship team? Maybe membership therein could afford some leeway in the otherwise boring qual stage of periodic training (btdt).

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Funny, when I was on the job we practiced head shots. The body armor dtill was practiced for those bad guys wearing body armor and a head shot was required to put them down. Double tap center mass followed by one between the eyes.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mozambique.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I shot my qualifications yesterday, and I was feeling like a bit of a smart azz.

Stage three was a shot while withdrawing to cover. There are only 6 rounds in the mag for that stage. The stage starts at 7 feet and ends up at 18 feet. Let me say they do not like head shots.

So, on the command I draw from snap down and roll the Glock 23 out one handed and fire two rounds that land just above the belt line dead center. (Bottom of the abdominal aorta) as I withdraw I fire two more that land in the heart, aortic arch area. Then behind the barricade I go straight weaver stance and hammer two dead center of the head.

Instructor is livid. He says "What the [bleep] was that, head shots?" I said, " I shot the mo' [bleep] 4 times and he didn't fall down and I only have two round left, gotta make then count!" He says, "Stop being a [bleep] smart azz!!"

So then we get to the last stage. It is a walking stage and the instructor calls the shot. 12 rounds for that stage. I start walking and he starts calling. I'm hammering them into the heart region, nice and tight in the center. I get to the last target and fire one into the heart, and the second right between the eyes.

Instructor blows up, "What the [bleep] was that?" I respond, "I missed!" he says, "Bull [bleep] chit you missed!"

Then came the shotgun. Last stage, 25 feet three targets 4 rounds #4 buckshot. On the call I fire one round on the left targets head, two on the center targets head and one on the right targets head. Blew big holes in the heads because I had one of the few shotguns with an IC choke.

Instructor is steaming now, "What the [bleep] was that?" I say, "dead mo' [bleep]!" He yells, "You will reshoot that stage!" (like I'm going to complain about shooting more free ammo.)

So, I line up to do it again. I fire one center chest on the left target, one in the ball sack and then one in the chest on the center target, then a chest hit on the right target.

Instructor again is livid, "What the [bleep] is that shooting him in the balls!" I say, "I missed again!" He say, "[bleep] that bullchit, you pull that chit again and I'll toss you off the range!"

a small suggestion to get you in more trouble. A long time ago in another life i use to get caca from the range guy during those quals for drawing "smiley" faces dead center in the chest. They thought that was inappropriate.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

a small suggestion to get you in more trouble. A long time ago in another life i use to get caca from the range guy during those quals for drawing "smiley" faces dead center in the chest. They thought that was inappropriate.

Hey, I was just following instructions, Center Mass, and I spread them out!!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Spread them out" and "What will you say in court" are two of the stupidest things I've heard on ranges.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AHF

And range nazis like you are the reason so many cops don't like, or even dread, going to the range.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

[Linked Image]

I got into the jackpot because I was the instigator for a bunch of us chalking a smiley face on the head and a Mercedes-Benz medallion around the neck grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yea, Did you pull the stick outta the range masters azz or is it still there?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, back in 94-95 I shot with the team. I knocked him into a standby position, basically if everyone showed up at a competition he was the water boy.

I had forgotten all about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,320
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.