Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9103760

[Linked Image]

AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) -- A local high school student lands a monster -- an alligator that tips the scales as the largest gator ever hunted in Texas.

Related Photos
Cinco Ranch teen bags record gator
View all 3 photos

Braxton Bielski, an 18-year-old Cinco Ranch High School senior from Katy, bagged the 800-pound, 14-foot, 3-inch gator during a recent public hunt on the James E. Daughtrey Wildlife Management Area. The alligator was caught last week in Choke Canyon Reservoir, in between San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

Braxton and his father, Troy Bielski, were among 481 applicants vying for 10 alligator permits issued through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's public hunting program for a five-day hunt at the Daughtrey WMA.

Related Content
More: Free ABC13 iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry apps
More: Got a story idea? Let us know!
"He's wanted to hunt alligators for years," said Troy, a Houston police officer who has applied annually to TPWD's special drawing hunts for the chance to fulfill his son's dream. "We got selected one year to go on a youth hunt at the J.D. Murphree WMA, but I didn't get the permit in on time. I remember Brax was very disappointed. This is the first year we've had to enter him as an adult and we got drawn."

"I always thought it'd be fun. Ever since I was eight, my dad was putting me in for these hunts," Braxton said.

But he couldn't have known he'd come away with an unforgettable gator as his first prize.

"When you have a 14 foot anything that close to you, it got my heart going pretty well," he said.

At one point, the pair observed what they believed to be a large gator in a cove and decided to place their baited lines nearby.

"We didn't pressure it, but while we were putting up our cane poles we could see it watching us 30 yards away," said Braxton.

Braxton chose one of the lines as his set; the other would be his dad's. When the two hunters returned the next morning, they realized they had their work cut out as both lines were down indicating they had two alligators hooked. A hook and line set baited with raw meat is used to catch the alligator; only after it has been hooked can a gator be dispatched at close range with a firearm.

Troy's gator turned out to be a huge female measuring 10 � feet long, which, as it turned out was dwarfed by his son's catch.

"Our boat was only 17 feet long, so we had to get the ten and a half footer in first," Braxton said. "Then we realized we weren't going to be able to get 800 pounds also in the boat."

So father and son towed the 14-footer to shore.

"Everybody's face is just like, oh my gosh this gator was killed in this lake where they're fishing and letting their pets swim around," Braxton said.

Choke Canyon has a reputation for holding some big, old gators. Unlike the alligator populations along their core range in southeast Texas, these creatures are left alone to live to a ripe old age. A 14-footer is estimated to be between 30-50 years old, according to TPWD alligator program leader Amos Cooper.

"Choke Canyon has a larger size class than other areas because they have just began to hunt the area," said Cooper. "A large alligator in Choke Canyon is not unusual but expected. You won't see a lot of alligators on Choke Canyon but the alligators that you do see are relatively large."

The father and son had no idea at the time that the alligator might be a state record -- a big trophy for a first time gator hunter.

Braxton said, "I don't know if I'll ever be able to top a 14 foot alligator but I'll definitely try. It was really fun."

The permit provides the only opportunity to hunt and harvest an alligator on Choke Canyon Reservoir, situated within the Daughtrey WMA boundary.

Because alligator hunting in Texas is conservatively managed, most hunters selected for these public hunts are first-timers and many have never seen an alligator in the wild. For that reason, TPWD biologists go through an intensive orientation process and provide greater guidance than they would for more common hunts, like for deer or waterfowl.

"We went through a two-hour orientation and it was very thorough," Braxton recalled. "My dad did a lot of research online about alligator hunting and we asked a lot of questions."

In the five years TPWD has hunted gators on the Daughtrey WMA, several huge specimens have been harvested, including two in 2011 measuring over 13-feet and another in that size class last year.

Living in Fort Bend County, Troy and his son routinely saw alligators while jogging but being able to judge their size was tough. "I had no idea," he noted. "The WMA staff did a really good job of explaining what we needed to do. We knew this gator was big and wanted to be sure we set the bait high enough out of the water."

"If we had just caught the one, I would have been happy for Brax," said Troy. "He's the reason I was there."

The Bielskis sold their alligators to a processor. They'll get about 20 pounds of meat back and the skull of the 14 footer. That's a trophy Braxton says he'll keep.

Find Reporter Adela Uchida on Facebook at ABC13AdelaUchida or on Twitter at @adelauchida

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices

(Copyright �2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's a tree shaka!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good lord, a dinosaur shocked

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd've had to choot that one twice.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dayum!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
damn. i stood waist deep in choke canyon shooting ducks for three days!

the dog would have been a snack for that thing!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a lot of tail.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
And I was thinking of float tubbing for bass in Choke Canyon. So now, don't fence with Zorro, step on Mighty Mouse's cape, or float tube with Gator's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is one BIG lizard.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
" we're gonna need a bigga boat!"

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now thats a gator! That thing is huge.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bet he'd pull good on a cane pole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read this early this am. Big gator. Wonder what the ones that never are recorded have been? I have only seen one gator that was just under 13 feet. 12'7" if I remember right. Was big enough for me. Came out of an ox bow lake off the Trinity River. It wasn't ever reported as far as I know.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shocked

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i remember when it first became legal to hunt them here. there was a local Dr who thought he killed a 14+ gator. he shot it and they put it in the bed of his truck, well as they were driving down the road it woke up and proceeded to destroy his truck,even caved the cab in with its tail. they did manage to kill it after all the damage was done. it was a little over 14ft.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That sure is a monster! Biggest one I ever dealt with was just shy of 13', took it out of a trailer park just down the road from the house. It was parked between two trailers and scared hell out of the old retired folks living there. We had to drag it into a horse trailer to get it out of there.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They need one of those in the pool at the
WH.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Bet a lot of dogs have gone missing around there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forget that. Shoot first. Hook second!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would make a lot of belts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (17CalFan, 204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 67 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.