Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I am tired of looking at SPAM. Anybody else shoot 32/20 rifles or revolvers in matches? I shoot an old Marlin but have not found two revolvers to go with it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the part about the sport I don't like, squib loads and smaller and smaller calibers.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

I thought one of the best things about CAS was using guns that really existed back in the 1800's. I would hate to think that you would object to me shooting a match with my Marlin that was made in 1898.

I do understand what you are saying about people shooting a 38 Special 1873 Uberti with bullets that I could probably outrun to the target.

I generally shoot a vintage M92 in 44/40 or 21st century Marlins in 45 Colt or 44 Magnum, but break out the old 32/20 when I want to try to touch the past. Loads of 4 grains of Unique behind 115 grain bullets come real close to the allowed velocity limits.

I do not use it in Wild Bunch because larger bores are required.

Last edited by Notropis; 03/25/13. Reason: speling
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Notropis, it's been several years, goodness, close to 15, since I shot in a Cowboy Action match but when I was active in it all I shot was an original Model '92, a 1st Gen. Colt and an EMF clone all in 32-20. My shotgun was an ancient 12 bore hammer double I loaded with black. I'm with you in that I was at least shooting 3 firearms authentic to the era and in actual chamberings. We ended up moving to an area where there was no CAS matches and when we returned about 5 years later my interests had changed....but I still have the firearms! I also had the exact same set up in 44-40, 3 originals and one clone. All the 44-40 stuff has gone on to someone who is using it.

I never was able to replace either clone SAA with another original. Seems when I found one I was short funds or when I had funds I couldn't find one good enough...sound familiar?

What annoys me about today is the use of clone rifles chambered to cartridges they never were originally, as in the '73 or Marlin '94 in 45 Colt. I don't know why I should care about it but it annoys the crap out of me.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was shooting SASS I shot a Colt Lightning rifle, an original Marlin 1894 and original Winchester 1873 and 1892's. I agree that shooting period weapons was a hoot. I always felt that using cartridges of that time was great

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Quite popular in Pistol Caliber Lever Silhouette, which requires shooting with decent accuracy to 100 yards or meters. I know of one recently acquired newer Marlin .32-20 that is reported to shoot like a laser. The owner is an experienced competitor who knows what he is talking about, no BS.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Paul39
Quite popular in Pistol Caliber Lever Silhouette, which requires shooting with decent accuracy to 100 yards or meters. I know of one recently acquired newer Marlin .32-20 that is reported to shoot like a laser. The owner is an experienced competitor who knows what he is talking about, no BS.

Paul

I shoot two .32-20s, both modern. A custom Handi Rifle and a new Marlin 1894CL. The Marlin puts bullets in two inches at a hundred yards. The Handi puts them in an inch or less. I wouldn't say the Marlin is a laser, but it is more than adequate.

I would say my Handi .22-250 is a laser, having nailed a red squirrel at 225 yards yesterday. In order to give the Marlin a fair shake, I haven't tried any loads in it that didn't work well in the Handi, so there's more work to be done there. The other factor is most of my loads are above CAS limits.

Pete

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ppine
This is the part about the sport I don't like, squib loads and smaller and smaller calibers.

I don't want to be too hard on original guns as I own a bunch, but if you shot this game when it first came out, there was a power factor that was used to have both minimum and maximum acceptable power, to avoid the smaller caliber advantage. At that time you could use 30-30's and other such chamberings, but it was restricted to cast bullets and couldn't deliver over a certain amount of energy. On the other end, there was also a minimum power factor that was recquired to knock over steel targets, eliminating the lower powered rounds to keep the true spirit of what calibers were actually used in the 1800's.

Granted, the 32-20 did exist in the old days, but it wasn't the common cartridge found in the scabbards and holsters of the day. I have shot this game for years and still use 38-40, 44-40 and 45 colt guns. I also like to shoot "Classic Cowboy" sometimes because they won't allow the smaller cartridges in that category.

The game has also morphed into a speed game and the real essence of the competition has become close, big targets that anybody could hit from the hip, eliminating most of the shooting skill required to hit a target. If I could change things, I would probably vote for going back to the power factor and require the knockdown from the guns that the real cowboys expected with the larger chamberings...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by petemi
I shoot two .32-20s, both modern. A custom Handi Rifle and a new Marlin 1894CL. The Marlin puts bullets in two inches at a hundred yards. The Handi puts them in an inch or less. I wouldn't say the Marlin is a laser, but it is more than adequate.
Pete

Pete, are you using 4227 in your .32-20?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
shapnel

While reading this thread I was thinking the same things you mentioned. I ue=sed to watch the cowboy action shows on the Outdoor network but got bored with it due to efveryone shooting "squib" loads in order to go fast. I must not have been the only one since the show is no longer on TV. I must say I have never shot Cowboy Action so my opinion maybe all wet.

AS far as the 32-20 go I have an original M92 in said caliber and had a Ruger OM Vaguero. I still have the M92 and have been thinking of getting it out more, but got rid of the Ruger as it was so heavy.

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Pete

Ed

No, H110. The Hornady loads. I'm having great luck with Lil Gun in my .357 Maximiums and will play with it in the .32-20s this summer.

Pete

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Pete

Ed

No, H110. The Hornady loads. I'm having great luck with Lil Gun in my .357 Maximiums and will play with it in the .32-20s this summer.
Pete

If you get a chance, take a look at 4227. Great velocities and accuracy in my 1894CL with Hornady 100gr JHP and Oregon Trail Laser cast 115gr RNFP.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks Ed. I have IMR 4227 and I'll give it a try this summer. Currently, the bullets I have are the Hornady 100 gr. XTP and the Sierra 123 gr. 7.62x39. My Handi is a .303 Brit. barrel. I probably should load some lighter bullets for longer small pest control, but I usually use the CF .22s for that.

Pete

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I got the IMR-4227 load hint from rost495 here in the 'Fire. He has used it and the 100gr XTP on hogs and deer with great success.

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.