Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hawkeye,
Maybe so if not for Elmer Keith. Love him or loathe him, he was a good promoter.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This topic gives me flashbacks to when I was young and read an article in a sporting magazine in the local library about which caliber was superior: the .270 or the .30-06. I have never been able to figure that one out, and I am sure this question must have left a lot of psychological issues unresolved. The difference between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum is just another problem I will probably never be able to solve. How can a guy cope?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Golfswithwolves
" ... The difference between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum is just another problem I will probably never be able to solve. How can a guy cope?"

Cope?? That's simple. Just emulate Gen. George Patton, who often carried a revolver on each hip. One was a .45 Colt and the other a .357 Magnum, except in your case of how to cope with this particular question, carry a .41 Magnum on one hip and a .44 Magnum on the other.

Problem solved! grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just be careful not to mix the ammo! A .41 slides real easy into a .44 chamber. Upon firing, the bullet rattles out the barrel in such a misshapen state that you can't hit a big log 15 feet away. It's so inaccurate that you can't hit it three times in a row before stopping to see what's wrong. wink

The good news it that it only splits the case 3/4 of the way down. smile

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Just be careful not to mix the ammo! A .41 slides real easy into a .44 chamber. Upon firing, the bullet rattles out the barrel in such a misshapen state that you can't hit a big log 15 feet away. It's so inaccurate that you can't hit it three times in a row before stopping to see what's wrong. wink

You mean like this, Jim??

[Linked Image]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The trick with a 41 is a heavy crimp.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Are any of you using the Lee factory crimp die for the 41?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

You mean like this, Jim??

[Linked Image]

L.W.

Yeah, just like that! grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Are any of you using the Lee factory crimp die for the 41? Dave

Yes, for years, not only in .41 Mag, but .44 Mag./.44 Spec., .45 Colt, and .357 Mag./.38 Spec. The Lee Factory Crimp Die works very well.

L.W.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
One of the good things about the .41 Mag, I have seen ammo available. All the popular calibers are off the shelves.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by kk alaska
One of the good things about the .41 Mag, I have seen ammo available. All the popular calibers are off the shelves.

grin

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
" ... The difference between the .41 Magnum and the .44 Magnum is just another problem I will probably never be able to solve. How can a guy cope?"

Cope?? That's simple. Just emulate Gen. George Patton, who often carried a revolver on each hip. One was a .45 Colt and the other a .357 Magnum, except in your case of how to cope with this particular question, carry a .41 Magnum on one hip and a .44 Magnum on the other.

Problem solved! grin

L.W.
Alas, Mr. L.W., this is not a solution to the problem! Whichever revolver a guy used for a shot, he would be either "undergunned" or "overgunned". frown

Last edited by Golfswithwolves; 05/18/13. Reason: global warming
R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Dave

Yup. Add me to the list. I wouldn't load my .41s or .357s without it.

Rick
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Dave

Yes I shoot a few berry's plated bullets which have no canalure. And sometimes I load them in front of a magnum charge of H110. (Berry's recommends against this practice as the plating will sometimes strip off at magnum velocities. I have managed to strip the plating off......at 1900 fps from the Marlin carbine.)

The Lee factory crimp die will deliver a crimp which will ensure reliable and even combustion with the non-grooved bullet. This crimp is probably a bit over kill, but the loads work well. These were recovered from a fifty gallon drum of water at moderate velocity. Without digging through all my notes, about 1100 fps.
[Linked Image]

And I do use the Lee die to crimp all of my grooved and jacketed rounds as well.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Problem solved! grin

L.W.
Alas, Mr. L.W., this is not a solution to the problem! Whichever revolver a guy used for a shot, he would be either "undergunned" or "overgunned". frown

Not at all. Just drop the powder charge in the 44 by a gr or two, and push the 41 to its limit. They would be equivalent and either one up to any task one might encounter.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had both calibers in the same model guns, at the same time. My conclusion was that the 44 will do everything the 41 will, and more, but the 41 simply can't do more than about 75% of what the 44 is capable of. I do believe the 41 is a much better caliber than .357 mag, but solidly inferior to the 44 mag. Now, add the availability of factory ammo and the general scarcity of reloading components, and it's no wonder that you have to search long and hard for a decent 41 mag. The tired old story of the 41 shooting flatter than a 44 is just that. A story. While this is possible because the smaller bullet has a slightly better ballistic coefficient, both caliber of bullets are only slightly more aerodynamic than bricks to begin with, and few people could even begin to perceive such an advantage, much less take advantage of it.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by anachronism
I've had both calibers in the same model guns, at the same time. My conclusion was that the 44 will do everything the 41 will, and more, but the 41 simply can't do more than about 75% of what the 44 is capable of. I do believe the 41 is a much better caliber than .357 mag, but solidly inferior to the 44 mag. Now, add the availability of factory ammo and the general scarcity of reloading components, and it's no wonder that you have to search long and hard for a decent 41 mag. The tired old story of the 41 shooting flatter than a 44 is just that. A story. While this is possible because the smaller bullet has a slightly better ballistic coefficient, both caliber of bullets are only slightly more aerodynamic than bricks to begin with, and few people could even begin to perceive such an advantage, much less take advantage of it.

My experience does not agree with your conclusion that the 41 is only to do 75% of what a 44 will. In fact the 41 will out penetrate the 44 and on deer and antelope I dare one to find a difference in performance. Both can be used only larger game but at that point I prefer at least a 45 caliber for the heavy work through experience in the game fields

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is less size difference between the .41 mag and .44 mag than there is between the .30-06 and .280 rem.

To say one is "solidly inferior" to the other seems a little naive to me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by anachronism

My experience does not agree with your conclusion that the 41 is only to do 75% of what a 44 will. In fact the 41 will out penetrate the 44 and on deer and antelope I dare one to find a difference in performance. Both can be used only larger game but at that point I prefer at least a 45 caliber for the heavy work through experience in the game fields

as i have posted on here before, a put a gold dot from a 41mag into a elk's head last fall and it hit her so hard to put it bluntly smoke was coming out of her mouth and it bulged her eyeballs out, i don't know what more you would want.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had more than my share of 44 Redhawks and 29's, but have never managed to find a good 57 or 58 (at a price I could justify), though I'd like to. I don't really believe there's more than a nickel's worth of difference between 'em though.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.