Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
In a nutshell, my cabin has 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers over a very tight crawspace, spanning 7'-4". I was planning on installing ceramic, if not slate tile overtop. I have a substancial subfloor, doubled 3/4" plywood for a total of 1-1/2".

My concern was the joists themselves.. I know 2x6's arent exactly massive, but on the other hand, the span is rather short at less than 8 feet.

The floor is basically level except for one spot: The five joists under my hearth are sagging down about 3/8" at the lowest spot. The reason is probably simple: the hearth is built upon 2x10s running on top and perpedicular to the 2x6 joists [to get the stove up to waist level] and in addition to the plywood and hardibacker [for fire resistance] it was boxed in with, there is 2" flagstone [and mortar] across the top.. 3'x5' hearth, so that is alot of weight spanning 15 square feet on top of those particular 5 joists, even with such a short span.

I have been doing some research, and HAD decided to full length sister [screw and glue] with another 2x6 on every joist under the floor [I would definatly jack up the sagging joists under the hearth before sistering.] A buddy of mine, one of those, 'jack of all trades' people, suggested sistering, well I guess a more accurate term would be sandwiching, a 5.5" sheet of 3/4" plywood, again, full length, on each side of every joist instead??

Basically, he is saying to rip some 5.5" sheets of 3/4" plywood and cut them to 7'-4", glue them up with contruction adhesive on each side, and put three [vertical] 2" deck screws every 12".

I cant see how that would add any strength, though he ensured me that it would definatly add strength and stiffness for the tile, as well as help the joists under my hearth to resist the dead load overtop.

Thoughts?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I'm understanding correctly, you would be making the opposite of the way a door/window header is constructed?

In the orientation indicated, that plywood has it's greatest resistance to flex.

I'm sure others here will give good advice. There may be online programs to calculate the max weight bearing possible for that joist/spacing/span system.

Can you calculate a weight for the tile/slate?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
If I'm understanding correctly, you would be making the opposite of the way a door/window header is constructed?

Exactly. I was hoping my explanation would make some sense; sometimes, it's hard to describe this sort of thing without pictures!

At any rate, you are correct.. instead of a over-window or door header, where two 2x's are sandwiching a piece of plywood, it would be the exact opposite, a full length sheet of equal-width plywood sandwiching a floor joist on each side.

His reasoning was the arraingment would provide similar strength as with sistering an identical joist to the existing one, but would be much easier to work with, as I had mentioned, the crawspace, over dirt [with SPIDERS I may add.. ugh] ranges from about three feet high to about a foot high to the bottom of the joists.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TJIs have ply as the center of a wood "I" beam and are damn rigid in that orientation. Lay them flat and they flex more than a dive board!

It sounds workable to me, but there are some engine-ears on here that could run some calcs for you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by J23
In a nutshell, my cabin has 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers over a very tight crawspace, spanning 7'-4". I was planning on installing ceramic, if not slate tile overtop. I have a substancial subfloor, doubled 3/4" plywood for a total of 1-1/2".

My concern was the joists themselves.. I know 2x6's arent exactly massive, but on the other hand, the span is rather short at less than 8 feet.

The floor is basically level except for one spot: The five joists under my hearth are sagging down about 3/8" at the lowest spot. The reason is probably simple: the hearth is built upon 2x10s running on top and perpedicular to the 2x6 joists [to get the stove up to waist level] and in addition to the plywood and hardibacker [for fire resistance] it was boxed in with, there is 2" flagstone [and mortar] across the top.. 3'x5' hearth, so that is alot of weight spanning 15 square feet on top of those particular 5 joists, even with such a short span.

I have been doing some research, and HAD decided to full length sister [screw and glue] with another 2x6 on every joist under the floor [I would definatly jack up the sagging joists under the hearth before sistering.] A buddy of mine, one of those, 'jack of all trades' people, suggested sistering, well I guess a more accurate term would be sandwiching, a 5.5" sheet of 3/4" plywood, again, full length, on each side of every joist instead??

Basically, he is saying to rip some 5.5" sheets of 3/4" plywood and cut them to 7'-4", glue them up with contruction adhesive on each side, and put three [vertical] 2" deck screws every 12".

I cant see how that would add any strength, though he ensured me that it would definatly add strength and stiffness for the tile, as well as help the joists under my hearth to resist the dead load overtop.

Thoughts?

I think you're on the right track. Only thing I would change would be to use SDS screws.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your buddy has the right idea, but you need to define 'tight crawlspace'. If this is a get away cabin I'd suggest some roll stock vinyl, or place and press and avoid 'tight crawlspace'.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A tight crawlspace for me is not being able to roll over, and lots of rats and black widows..

Perfect spot to send the apprentice in.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
When you get to putting your underlayment in look at ditra as opposed to hardi backer or wonderboard. Ditra is really easy to work with and in your case you may not have to do much to reinforce the subfloor and framing. Also by design it allows for some movement in the framing/subfloor.

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
2x6's aren't conventional for floor structure. I would never use 2x6 in a floor close to the ground.

However, 2x6's can actually go a little over 9 feet span (from the book, Building Construction Illustrated). Your deck thickness is very strong as is.

I would level the sagging areas with a sistered piece, 2x6 or plywood. I may even do every other one glued and screwed. You want a stronger than normal floor for large tile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a handy site I have used in the past.

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/reversecalc/reversecalc.asp

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Seems to me it would be much, much easier to add bridging between the joists or maybe an additional beam under them halfway between that span than it would be to sister or laminate them...
Heck, even screwing a perpendicular 2X4 to the bottoms of the joists would help them "share" the load and stiffen things up. You can't need much more with that sub-floor.
Good luck.

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you build a pony wall @ mid span? That is usually the cheapest and most effective fix.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do not sandwich the ply wood to the joist = waste of time and adds 0 to the spanabilty! your 2x6 construction in weak...u need to run a header board and split that span in 1/2.. ..not enough space for a wood beam then move to steel. add- any flex in the floor is going to make cracks in the tile joints... tgi/bci's only add stiffness > as there height increases.... u can sandwich all day and do yourself no good.

Last edited by atvalaska; 05/20/13.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atvalaska
do not sandwich the ply wood to the joist = waste of time and adds 0 to the spanabilty! your 2x6 construction in weak...u need to run a header board and split that span in 1/2.. ..not enough space for a wood beam then move to steel. add- any flex in the floor is going to make cracks in the tile joints... tgi/bci's only add stiffness > as there height increases u can sandwich all day and do yourself no good.

Seems like this would be the best option. You've gotta jack it all up anyway, fix the problem instead of putting a bandaid on it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did two jobs like you are talking, except I didn't have a real tight crawl space. I built floor trusses in place.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps, your cabin floor is a quite-a-bit less than what i'm doing on my current project -notice the use of a 16"/90 series bci to use as a plank to walk while spreading trusses. was it safe? yes....imo... and it served me well but sucked bad removing it. [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goodness gracious...have a little sway in that?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Engineer checking in.
Let's talk stiffness for a moment. The stiffness of a beam increases proportionally with its width. Double the thickness (by adding a sister beam), and you effectively double the stiffness of that beam. However, the stiffness increases to the 3rd power for an increase in the depth of the beam. Do, double the depth of your beam and get a beam 8x as stiff. Sistering then, while providing some benefit, has significantly less increase in stiffness than providing a deeper beam.

If you want to sister it, I would suggest the sister beam being something deeper than a 6x. This will increase the stiffness more than just slapping another 2x6 on the side would. If need be, you can notch the end of the new sister beam at the ends so that it sits on the support simiarly to the existing 2x6 - the benefit of a deeper sister beam is derived at the midspan of them beam, and notching the ends will have no appreciable impact on the performance of the new beam).

If you want to consider other options, providing a new support at the midspan of the joists would help as well. A beam can support 4x the amount of uniform load as a beam just twice its length. Like others have mentioned, a pony wall or midspan header would work. If you use a header, that header must span to a support as well - simply adding bridging between the existing joists will not do anything beyond potentially dragging a couple other of the existing joists into the party - certainly not enough considering the level of weight you have for these joists to support.

Last edited by darrenk75b; 05/20/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
19' off the floor ...no sway smile all 2x8' construction..a bit much of a spot to hang out at till the boom trk got the truss up

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Engineer checking in.
Let's talk stiffness for a moment. The stiffness of a beam increases proportionally with its width. Double the thickness (by adding a sister beam), and you effectively double the stiffness of that beam. However, the stiffness increases to the 3rd power for an increase in the depth of the beam. Do, double the depth of your beam and get a beam 8x as stiff. Sistering then, while providing some benefit, has significantly less increase in stiffness than providing a deeper beam.

If you want to sister it, I would suggest the sister beam being something deeper than a 6x. This will increase the stiffness more than just slapping another 2x6 on the side would. If need be, you can notch the end of the new sister beam at the ends so that it sits on the support simiarly to the existing 2x6 - the benefit of a deeper sister beam is derived at the midspan of them beam, and notching the ends will have no appreciable impact on the performance of the new beam).

If you want to consider other options, providing a new support at the midspan of the joists would help as well. A beam can support 4x the amount of uniform load as a beam just twice its length. Like others have mentioned, a pony wall or midspan header would work. If you use a header, that header must span to a support as well - simply adding bridging between the existing joists will not do anything beyond potentially dragging a couple other of the existing joists into the party - certainly not enough considering the level of weight you have for these joists to support.

I was thinking along the same lines-if space permits, go with a deeper joist like a 2x10 or even 2x12. I will differ with you on the notching, though. I'd recommend either not notching the deeper joist, or, using hangers or possibly a ledger board to support the bottom of the new joist to eliminate the possibility of a longitudinal crack occurring at the mouth of the notch in the new, deeper joist.

If plywood is used to sister the joists, be sure and use something that is moisture resistant, such as marine or maybe just treated plywood to resist de-lamination due to moisture.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.