Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Will a 7 do for non-res? If so I'm going!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1355 for me. I drew 28 one year and never got called. 264 you just might get to go! Congrats!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 7 will for sure do! Congrats and have a great hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm well over #3000...again...

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grin Unless they decide to shoot off 3284 bulls I'm probably not going to have to worry about making a trip to Jackson Hole cool

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey guys

Phoned today and there are 22 non res bull tags so I am good to go!!! Anyone done this hunt before? Is this a hunt where you can be successful without a bunch of scouting because I will only have time for the actual hunt. I see in a little online research that many people recommend hiring a guide. Any info, thoughts, or input is really appreciated!!

S
S
Congrats 264Mag

I drew a NR bull tag last year and I excited for you.

You should be getting that big brown envelope with all your info any day now. You'll be getting some adverts from outfitters too.

I know the game and fish website makes it sound like they go down the list and call people. They don't.
The first x numbers are eligible to purchase a tag. those people get the big brown envelope with the info.
You buy your tag or you don't. Many cow tags go un-purchased.

You'll be assigned a date to hunt the NER. don't worry about the date. the gal at game and fish told me that they have never refused to reissue a different date so you can get a different date.

I live next door in Idaho and made three trips over before I connected. It's not a walk in the park afternoon pasture shoot.

Last year on opening weekend, 34 buff were shot on the NER. Then, they all ran back into the park, not to return to the NER until heavy snow fell.
A few wandered back and forth but darn few.
I didn't hunt opening day. It was in the mid 80's-- a little warm for me.

A lot of people asked me: "how hard can it be? I see buff right alongside the road in Teton Park?"
These animals know the boundary. It is all a matter of luck to find one on the right side of the boundary. Once you do they really aren't that hard to kill.
You just don't have the luxury of tracking a wounded one back into the park so you do want to put it down.

The NER is not all that large, 25k acres or so. Not that hard to scout and game and fish will tell you if any animals are on the refuge.
The forest area hold buff as well, shadow mountain, spread creek area etc.
there is a lot of area to cover. You can't drive off road anywhere.
I'd say if you were to come out for a couple weeks then you stand a good chance on getting your bull.
But if you are only coming out once and only for a short time then let's see: You've got a once in a life time $2500 tag burning a hole in your pocket and you've got the cost of coming out etc.
Might make sense to spend a little more and get a guide but that is up to you.
If you do get one down and don't have a lot of people to help you then you will need to hire the tag and drag guys. I did and they are great.

You, my friend, are about to be one of the lucky few alive today, who can say that they have hunted truly free range, public land buffalo in the shadow of the Tetons. These animals are descendants of the remnant few who took shelter in YNP and the Teton area 150 years ago.

As you can tell I'm jacked. You'll have a great time in one of the pretty areas around.
Please PM me if you have questions.

Of course I've got to show this pic.
[Linked Image]

He was 6 years old, (game and fish pull a tooth and let you know) and weighed about 1800 lbs. yielding about 500 lbs of packaged meat--about a freezer full plus.

He eats pretty good, except the rounds are a little chewy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My son is 3090.
No buff.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey Sidnye

Thanks for the info. Starting to do some digging and getting excited!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Snake River Marksman got in on it, too, I think. He was excited.....

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anyone have any thoughts on hunting early or late for best success? Long season from Aug 15 to Jan 5!! Thanks for any help.

S
S
264magnum

Opening day last year was good. then it slowed way down until deep snow.

If you are planning on going opening day---call the NER a few days before and ask if the buff are on the refuge and if it is likely you can get a alternate permit for the refuge for opening day.
The buff haven't been shot at yet and may be around the forest ground as well. Once they get shot at they know to head back to the park until deep snow.

Be warned that it could be in the upper 70's in mid august. The robe will not be prime if that makes a diff to you.
Otherwise I'd wait until late December.
I went the end of thanksgiving and got lucky but I think I was still a little early.
Late December could likely be below zero cold.
Good luck

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am #78 and will be hunting this fall. I am a bowhunter and am interested in your thoughts about best time/area. I imagine that the NEF will be jammed with rifle hunters early so it won't be a very good option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks once again Sidnye. I am trying to coordinate other hunts and think I might not get serious about the bison until into December. My only concern was the forest areas being closed and wonder how much that limits your chances?!? I am more inclined to go late so the hide/cape will be prime and the weather better for hauling meat home. I live in Alberta so the extreme cold and deep snow doesn't bother us much!! We harvest and take care of at least a couple moose a year in the late season type weather and love it. I just didn't want to limit our chances by going really late and running out of time I guess. From everyone I talk to it seems like the later you go the better your chance of getting an animal is at least on the refuge. Do you think that is accurate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anybody having any luck?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about yourself? :->

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am not heading down until early December but getting excited!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.