Print Thread
Hop To
#7752161 05/20/13
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Im looking forward to getting my quilt and finishing my sleep system. So far i have a 20deg rev quilt on top of a Big Agnes Qcore sl insulated pad.

Next im looking at a light wieght bivy to use under my tarp. I have a military issue bivy now.... But im wondering if i can save some wieght. But i would hate to give up the durability of the heavy mil issue one.

What would my options be for light wieght bivys? It would never be used out of my tarp. It is mainly just to add warmth to my system and keep the quilt and pad together.

Last edited by twintips16; 05/20/13.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While bivys do add some warmth, you'd be better off using other things if that's all you are looking for.
I've used tear open chemical hand warmers, extra clothing like socks, long underwear for my legs, etc. for extra sleeping warmth. A warm cap adds alot of extra sleeping comfort and so do warm mitts.
Bivys are quite valuable as weather protection and are worth their weight in gold to an injured hiker/hunter who can't erect a tent. But even the light ones weigh a pound or so. E

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I guess one of the reasons i am looking into this is I tend to be a sleeper that tosses and turns.... And oddly enough bivys dont bother me.

Im thinking that it might help keep everything in place through the night and keep me from tossing my quilt.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you're going to use it under a tarp, a mesh bug bivy is an interesting option. It'll get away from condensation issues plus provide some bug protections when its too warm for your sleeping bag.

I've had several, sold or given away most, got one more to get rid of. (I found one I like best of all making the others "extra".) PM me if you're interested.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a cabelas bivi that works but is heavey at 1 lbs. Montbell has some ul stuff that is almost half the price. I have been making my own tarps and I am starting to lean towards a bigger tarp and no bivi. More room to move around but bess weight but I also do not bivi in warm weather so bugs are not much of an issue.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I picked up a Borah bivy this spring for use this summer and fall. Very light with a sil nylon botton and water resistant top, bug netting, and side zip. Affordable as well.

http://www.borahgear.com/

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looked on montbell's web page. Did they discontnue them? Couldn't find either of cabelas or theres.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Borah or Ti-Goat, either one should only be around 8 oz.

Ed T

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just looked at the borah bivys and I think that is exactly what im looking for. Except without the bug netting. Is the netting removable to the point where it can be put back on?

Also whats the differance between the Momentum 90, 50, or 1.1DWR for the breathable upper's other then wieght?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
DWR is less expensive, the M material is likely more water resistant.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Kevin,

Do you have any pics of your bivy yet?

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
montbell bivy is here
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2321024

I have never used them just heard they were good. Cabelas must have discontinued theirs as I could not findit either, I dont think you would want it anyways as it is kind of heavy

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
boah gear web site and prices. Damm they are good prices for what you get. I have about two hours and 20 dollars into a 5.5X9 tarp. They are selling theirs for 50 dollars that is a good price in my opinion. THe sewing looks good and I think it would be woth looking at their bivys.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A bivy is a godsend IF you have the RIGHT one and are alone in remote, cold, wet country. The best I have used in 44 years of using them are those that WERE made in Calgary.,AB. Canada, by Integral Designs.

They now are owned by RAB and the stuff they sell is NOT up to the original, IMO. However, the "ID TACTICAL" section seems to still produce and sell some of the originals and these are the way to go for serious uses in bad conditions.

You can sometimes find "pre-owned" originals on backpacking sites which are like new and these are the way to go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 68 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.