Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BWalker

Restaurant food is terrible and the quality of your beef, pork, chicken/poultry, eggs and processed meat is subpar. Inferior marbling, dry, poor flavor.
Breads are also not very good.

100% agree on this when referencing Canadian chow. I find the Asian food to be quite good, though.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 on the Asian food...heading to Ft. McMurray in a few weeks and cant wait to hit some of the hole-in-the-wall chinese places...never found a bad one yet!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pizza wars? I have not eaten tacco pizza in Canada, what toppings are the most common?

Tacos

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Food in the USA is much better which is why they have the highest obesity rate in the world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
+1 on the Asian food...heading to Ft. McMurray in a few weeks and cant wait to hit some of the hole-in-the-wall chinese places...never found a bad one yet!

ingwe;
I hope this finds you and yours doing well this still May evening sir.

Other than having to save a bit more for gas money - maybe Alberta didn't get hit, but we had the annual May long weekend gas price hike here - I trust you're all ready for the fishing trip.

The interesting thing about a lot of the Chinese folks on the prairies is that their ancestors were here longer than a lot of the Europeans - having come to build the railroad in the 1880's. That means a lot of them are really quite "Canadianized" in every way, even though they may run an Asian food restaurant.

In the small town in Saskatchewan where I went to school, the chap that owned the local Chinese restaurant was such a man and loved to golf and hunt whitetails more than anything else it seemed.

I can recall seeing the usual lanterns and silk paintings in his establishment interspersed with golf trophies and whitetail heads and racks! laugh

Anyway, the food was OK as I recall, but the smorg was better in the town 10 miles to the west - another hole in the wall that mostly only locals knew about. wink

All the best luck on your journey and with your fishing ingwe. I hope to see some photos when you get back home safely.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/19/13. Reason: spell czech

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dwayne we are going fishing at the end of June and will be going through many small towns on the way up. Every one that we tried in the past, including some literal holes in the wall, were excellent! A bit more authentic ( a bit!) than 'Chinese' Restauraubnts down here that serv Americanized versions...

Also ranm into a little Mom-n-Pop cafe in Viking AB that was just cool....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Arac
CA is far from a terrible place, but that doesnt change the fact that the food quality is very low, yet priced very high.

I agree that our food prices are higher, but am curious about your belief that our food quality is very low. Do you mean restaurants or food in general? If it is the former, then yes, you have to go to the major city centers like Vancouver for consistantly good food. If you mean the latter...well then I am doubly curious!

I should have prefaced my comment by saying Ontario and Manitoba. I haven't lived or traveled in BC, Alberta or the other provinces.
Restaurant food is terrible and the quality of your beef, pork, chicken/poultry, eggs and processed meat is subpar. Inferior marbling, dry, poor flavor.
Breads are also not very good.
One of the best steak houses in Canada,Queue de Cheval in Montreal advertises USDA Prime beef, which undoubtedly is corn finished. I have never had a steak at this place, but my dad swears by it. Says its better than Peter Lugers in NYC.

Well we must have not crossed paths then. I have been to New Orleans, in and about North Dakota a bit but for the most part throughout Washington State. I used to live 14 blocks from the BC - Washington border and have done a fair bit of shopping South of the border. At one point I was there 1x every week or so. Having said that I found that your poultry and eggs were sub-par, butter was better (I bought the non-rBGH stuff), cheese was similar and US pork is available here in BC but again, there is no difference. This is obviously the mass produced stuff I am talking about.

If you want the really good stuff you need to go to the little butcher shops where you can find world class meat. In my neck of the woods much of that is produced by the Hutterites in the Peace River country. Processed meats? Pretty much all the same junk except when you move into the higher end Artisan stuff....and then again you get comparable quality. Same goes for bread - we have more than just Wonderbread up here!

My experience - and I have done LOTS of grocery shopping in the US, is that for the most part things are the same. Buy the cheapest stuff and you get....well you get what you paid for. Step up a bit in quality and again it is similar. The really big difference is price on many things - as in cheaper in the States.

BTW, I am not surprised you would get US beef in a restaurant in Quebec. Check out any of the high end BC and Alberta steak houses and you will only find BC/Alberta beef.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Arac
If any of you are heading towards Campbell River - East coast of Vancouver Island, about mid way up the Island - then hop on the ferry to Quadra Island, a short 5 min. ride. Get off the ferry and walk, or drive up the hill and drop in the Lovin' Oven. They make very good pizza and have one that is especially tastey. I can't remember all of the ingredients, but it does have cream cheese, cranberries and these awesome little cherry peppers that have just the right amount of bite to them.

I am sure that we have gems like the Lovin' Oven on both sides of the border.

And then if you want some REALLY good food, stop at Dick's Fish and Chips right beside the ferry on the Campbell River side.... sorry, a little bit off topic, but the halibut and chips are sooooooo good I had to mention it.

S
S
Deflave, depending on where we get drawn for muledeer just might take you up on that offer! Always fun to meet fellow gun nuts. Even foreign ones!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kutenay and 378 Canuck

I have to agree that moose bear deer and grouse make the need for corn fed or mass produced meat redundant in my life. Someone mentioned having coyote eating preferences. I eat beaver, lynx, rabbit and even skunk. I have not found wild meat I have not enjoyed. Fish is limited where I live to walleye, pike, trout, bass and perch. I too love salmon but too hard to get them on Superior for me though many do.

Keep on eating Canadian pure.

Randy
Medicman retired

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Saskshooter
Deflave, depending on where we get drawn for muledeer just might take you up on that offer! Always fun to meet fellow gun nuts. Even foreign ones!

You are welcome any time sir. I only ask that you speak english while we visit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love Canadians and most everything about them, but I have to chime in here. I've been on the expensive whitetail hunts with outfitters a few times in Alberta where they feed you with good food (like on a cruise ship). But there is usually one night when they will have steak, it is usually not very good. About a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Everyone will be sawing on it cause it's tough and takes forever to chew a bite of it.

There was only one exception, so I started asking about it and they had bought the beef from Costco (Argentina beef) Sorry, just telling it like the way it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry hunting trips don't count.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
n007 - I see you are in Victoria. Have you been to Il Terrazzo? They have a fantastic Osso Bucco (veal shank).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I have been there several times and have never been disappointed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by n007
Sorry hunting trips don't count.

Why is that?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I love Canadians and most everything about them, but I have to chime in here. I've been on the expensive whitetail hunts with outfitters a few times in Alberta where they feed you with good food (like on a cruise ship). But there is usually one night when they will have steak, it is usually not very good. About a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Everyone will be sawing on it cause it's tough and takes forever to chew a bite of it.

There was only one exception, so I started asking about it and they had bought the beef from Costco (Argentina beef) Sorry, just telling it like the way it is.

That mirrors my experience. Even when I sourced premium stuff from specialty butcher shop it was inferior to run of the mill beef from Sam's club.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless its pizza being served.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog

Well the best beef in the world doesn't stand up to a fine elk steak, but that is just my opinion. ;-) In fact a nice steak from a bull moose harvested in august when their meat is still full of moisture is far superior to anything coming from a cow.

I for one, would consistently choose a cut from one of our wild animals than from any stinky old cow. :-) Honest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

Well the best beef in the world doesn't stand up to a fine elk steak, but that is just my opinion. ;-) In fact a nice steak from a bull moose harvested in august when their meat is still full of moisture is far superior to anything coming from a cow.

I for one, would consistently choose a cut from one of our wild animals than from any stinky old cow. :-) Honest.

Well, that is a tough one! There is something to be said for a fine Rib-Eye, Fillet Mignon, Porterhouse etc. thrown onto a searing hot hardwood charcoal grill!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,988
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.