Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I picked up a Sako 75 Grey Wolf in the above caliber and was thinking that this rifle might just be perfect for plains game. I plan on using a 140 grain TSX or 150 grain Nosler Partition. My primary game will be kudu, gemsbok and impala. At a later date I may add eland, wildebeast and zebra. My other rifle is a Ruger African in 9.3x62 shooting 250 grain Accubonds. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Bob

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use the 9.3 on Eland...270 WSM on everything else or vice versa grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GSP814
I picked up a Sako 75 Grey Wolf in the above caliber and was thinking that this rifle might just be perfect for plains game. I plan on using a 140 grain TSX or 150 grain Nosler Partition. My primary game will be kudu, gemsbok and impala. At a later date I may add eland, wildebeast and zebra. My other rifle is a Ruger African in 9.3x62 shooting 250 grain Accubonds. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Bob

I just don't see how you could do better than the 270 WSM for the game you listed

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GREAT PG caliber in my opinion and I'd use the TSX or whichever bullet your rifle shoots best.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments, please keep them coming.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Adding Eland is a game changer.

If your P.H. is a true professional he will ask you to take the 9.3x62 for a number of reasons:
1) A more humane/responsible chance to put the animal down.
2) So his team won't have to track a wounded animal you will have to pay for anyway.
The 250 AB would be perfect.

Do yourself a favour, add the Zebra. A skin on the floor or wall (where it will last longer) is spectacular.

With correct placement, any premium projjie will work well at 270 WSM velocities on the other game you mention.

Does it feed and chamber perfectly ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is nothing wrong with the 270 but I would suggest going with the 9.3 for the eland, wildebeest and zebra just because they are rather hard to put down. A bad shot with a larger caliber will still be better than a bad shot with the smaller caliber is as far as I'm concerned. If the 270 shoots the TSX's well then they will work fine over here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The specific bullet AND where you put it are much more important than anything mentioned thus far. I have shot three eland, ten or so zebra, twelve or so gemsbok, and thirty or so each wildebeest, and kudu with a 270 Win and various 130 grain premium bullets. There have also been many waterbuck, impala, hartebeast, pigs, etc. All except three or four needed a single shot. None more than two.

I would use 130 TTSX or E-Tip bullets.

Last edited by RinB; 05/19/13.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 9.3 is great but I have seen hunters shooting ability go to hell after a just couple of days of shooting. I figure over half of the shots are taken from difficult, awkward, uncomfortable positions. You want something that is both portable and which helps you place the bullet with precision. Remember this is not a trip on which you take two shots then go home.

Your job is to be able to hit a target the size of a grapefruit AND do it quickly from imperfect positions.

Last edited by RinB; 05/19/13.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
270WSM and TSX bullet is Ok for all of those...maybe eland "like" to have something bigger but if you hit front leg lower part then it's nail down anyway.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob, in a few days I'm leaving for RSA for the second time and for the second time I'm taking a SAKO A7 in 308 Win and a Ruger African in 9.3x63. For the 308 I'm shooting 168 gr. Barnes TTSX factory and for the 9.3x62 I'm shooting handloads of the 286 gr. TSX over Varget. On the menu is waterbuck, red hartbeest, impala, warthog, bushbuck, eland and buffalo.

Yes the 270 WSM will work, I suggest you talk to your PH and get his advice.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nothing wrong with your WSM, but I like using popular chamberings (like the .30-06, etc) when hunting in exotic places. If your ammo doesn't arrive in JNB with your rifle, can you buy any .270 WSM locally? Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm possibly paranoid. Take your WSM and have fun!

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If ( when) I'm asked this question from the hunters with me I would say take the 9.3 as a primary hunting rifle and if you feel the need bring the 270 as a spare.

With great shooting and game that participates the 270 will kill animals. However those smaller diameter bullets don't leak blood as well, sometimes at all. Herd animals depart in a huge cloud of dust which settles back on all the tracking evidence.

Your days are short, the knowledge of what animal is around the next bush is a roll of the dice. The bigger bullet is just simply better in every way.

Remember killing these animals is not your primary goal, finding them after the shot is. After 20 plus years of doing this with hundreds of clients, I and the PHs that have worked for me will all agree on this. Bigger bullets make recovery not only easier and faster, but possible in many situations.

Many above posts do not agree with what I have written. Fine by me. I see varied experience levels, weather, rifles, ammo, distances, species, etc. most have not sat at the fire in the evening with a dejected hunter that was unable to find a lost animal. Waiting for first light to go search again. Having a sleepless night replaying the shot in their racing mind.

It's brutal to watch all the hunters laughing and carrying on at camp and one sad sap that lost his animal. Choose wisely choose big bullets whenever possible.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of love for the 9.3

That's interesting. That must mean you guys expect most shots to be under 200 yards?

It's good to see so much real experience commenting. But, the 9.3 borders on 300 wby like recoil does it not?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 300 weatherby was at times brutal, I've never a shot a 9.3 that was anything like that.

A lot has to do with the gun design. 9.3's were always quite nice in my opinion. those over bore weatherby's would crumple game like a bolt of lightening, but the shooter rarely gets to see that happen

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I own both a 300 Weatherby and a Ruger African in 9.3x62, the 9.3 is no where near the kick of the 300 Weatherby, it kicks like an 06. I have shot 8 elk with the 300 Bee and have seen each and everyone one of them flattened, the Bee is braked and the only way I can shoot it. I'd use it in Africa W/O hesitation but it is my understanding that PH's and trackers don't like brakes (I don't blame them).

Last edited by GSP814; 05/23/13.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JJHACK is right about blood leak and sad hunters...have seen it in Africa myself when guys track two days wounded animal before find it. Have also track myself 3 hours after wildebeest and need second and also third shot to put it down...not nice feeling if you think about 1000$ shot.
Therefore my choise for Africa was 9,3x64...and there is no problem to shoot even over 300yrds with that. All what you need is to make your homework before you leav to SA. This is what guys sometime missing when they go to Africa for hunting. At home often moose or elk hunt cost you time and ammo...in Africa it's hundred of $ per shot. Therefore it's better to be 110% sure that you kill and found game.
Have take Kudu from 280 and oryx over 300yrds but prefer to stay below 150yrds if possibe.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Just got back from SA last week. Shot a 375h&h and a 30-06, both using TSX's...all pass throughs. NO blood trail on 7 of 8 animals. NONE. All had 2 holes but unless you pressed on animal, no leakage. Only evidence on any was the last Impala shot with the 30-06 had lung tissue at spot of hit and a few drops of blood. Found him 30 yds. away. Other 2 Impala,Kudu, Blue Wildebeest,2 Warthogs and an Eland cow showed no blood at all. PH uses 2 Jack Russel's for tracking and does not rely on blood.
I understand the pain of losing game...we spent almost 2 hours trailing a Wildebeest we both thought I hit before deciding somehow I had missed a 75 yd. standing still animal. Those were a long 2 hours watching him sort out the tracks and follow it. Still don't know how I missed him.....

Last edited by fgold767; 05/24/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
My 300 weatherby was at times brutal, I've never a shot a 9.3 that was anything like that.

A lot has to do with the gun design. 9.3's were always quite nice in my opinion. those over bore weatherby's would crumple game like a bolt of lightening, but the shooter rarely gets to see that happen

Good scuttlebutt. On paper the recoil ft pounds projections *appear close. My experience with the 300wby was not pleasant, hence my question.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by petr
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Good scuttlebutt. On paper the recoil ft pounds projections *appear close. My experience with the 300wby was not pleasant, hence my question.

I've added a McMillan Edge stock, with 1" Pachmayr Decellerator pad, and my .300 Wby. settled down nicely.......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.