Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by rattler
Since the time of Moses, folks had a pretty clear understanding of the exact meaning of Genesis.

It is only since Darwin wrote "Origin of the Species" that the book of Genesis has been considered open for interpretation.

Why, in the course of several thousand years, was no priest bright enough to figure out that Genesis was not written to be read literally?

How did we mere mortals become so intelligent over the last 100 years?

cause if the Bible is the absolute literal word of god than the young earth creationists are right and if they are right our understanding of most any science is complete and total horse chit and voodoo.....if the creation story is exactly as written and not open for interpretation all sciences start falling apart at some point......

if the earth is only thousands instead of billions of years old its not the smartest thing in the world to let a doc preform chemotherapy on you or those you love cause it means we have no real understanding on how to measure radioactive decay which is a huge part of that area of medicine....

Either that........or the entire Judeo/Christian tradition is as mythical as Zeus and Apollo, and the gods of the Egyptian pantheon.

there is always that.....but i have theory on that aswellfor the most part but then that sends this thread off in another direction which was what Razor was trying to avoid by creating this thread laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Yes, Spud, from what I've read the majority of Bible scholarship indicates the six days of creation were described in the Hebrew text as literal days like we currently have. However, the Genesis account doesn't state that the six days were consecutive days.

Yes, it doesn't say "6 consecutive days", but the entire process including the day of "rest" took 7 days, so it's pretty easy for one to assume a week, 7 consecutive days. Scripture doesn't say it wasn't 6 consecutive days, either. My opinion, from the text as I see it: 6 consecutive days. YMMV. Have a good'n!

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
to me, no matter what you believe, there is no way creation and evolution can be together, it is either one or the other. Evolution is one of the greatest jokes of all time that changes everyday, every hour for that matter at the whims of all the "masterminds" who claim evolution is for real.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by headhunter130
to me, no matter what you believe, there is no way creation and evolution can be together, it is either one or the other. Evolution is one of the greatest jokes of all time that changes everyday, every hour for that matter at the whims of all the "masterminds" who claim evolution is for real.

^This^

If the world is 37 billion years old, then it is because God decided to take 37 billion years to create it. But that doesn't, by default, give any credibility to evolution. Evolution is the biggest hoax ever foisted upon mankind. Unfortunately, many embrace it for to NOT belive that particular system of "faith", one has no other option than to aknowledge a Creator.

But that's a different subject.

Did God create the Earth in 6 literal 24 hour periods? I believe so.
Could He do that and make it appear old.
Yes.
Could He create a universe that is 93 billion light years across and during creation of light, stretch that light across vast expanses so we can see objects from photons that have seemingly traveled across distances of tens of millions of light years...and yet have a universe only several thousand years old?
Yes. And I believe this likely.

Since He lives outside of time and space, could He have taken billions of years to create the universe and then unveal it in the span of 6 days?
Yes.

Could He have taken billions of years to create it?
Of course.

The bottom line is HE CREATED the universe.

And that is the important point to keep in mind with any discussion. We don't have all the answers and won't on this side of Glory. If it could be proven beyond question the universe is billions of years old, it wouldn't shake my faith in the least, nor does it somehow diminish the authority or validity of scripture.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How does an infinite mind, which conceives all possibilities and things in a single all encompassing thought, create it in a world of matter? Given that God created everything, He established physics as the law governing how consciousness was interpreted into form through a dynamic process of creative evolution (not Darwinian evolution). The only way an infinite consciousness is able to work in the finite world of matter is through process of sequential creation over time. First we find the creation of matter itself, often described as a Big Bang or rapid inflation, everything needed came about in an instant from a single point, so the event appears to be an explosion. What was created is nothing more than hydrogen, the simplest element. Everything else is created from the natural propensity of hydrogen to respond to the force of gravity, producing stars and in turn stars produce all the other elements needed. God initiated a self-creating universe according to His design. Thus over time, all things came into being over six cosmological periods, in sequential order. We refer to these as days, for the lack of understanding of what God calls them, or how He delineates or orders them.

The primary motif of matter and existence is a circle (or sphere) with a controlling central point. All things are defined by, change or grow, from the center outward. This is true for atoms and cells, solar systems, galaxies and things yet to be discovered. The only life form on Earth is the cell, which comprises tissues, organs and organisms. We are cellular constructs organized to act within the boundaries of God's intended spectrum of consciousness and abilities set for Man. Beyond this, we and everything else, is dependent on energy derived from God's intent and will to exist, otherwise we are nothing. As long as God "dreams", we continue to fulfill His desire, whatever that may be.

We are nothing, we own nothing, not our bodies, nothing. We have no life apart from God's will, and we return to disorganized matter when we die. Our lives have no purpose apart from that which God derives from our experiences, our struggles and society. While the law of physics determine that matter always acts in a predetermined way, Man is able to deviate from self-defined norms of behavior, and to innovate using matter in ways nature could not. This is the Second Order of Creation, driven by psychology, freewill and intelligence, the very things God is observing without interference (although He can and does intervene in individual lives).

What is the meaning of it all? We may hypothesize that God intended to use our lives as a means of investigating what a future creation should contain, one of immortal forms and individual personalities in addition to His own. So, His intent was to include certain personalities from this world into the next. All religions proclaim this as doctrine, because the concept is built into the underlying raison d'etre of existence. He allowed us to struggle, to make errors and to learn that His way brings us happiness and fulfillment, so He gave us forgiveness and redemption for our atonement.

On the seventh day, God rested. His active portion of creation was finished, He became an observer rather than a builder. What He set in motion would automatically bring His plan to fruition. For our part, we too are asked to set aside one day in seven to reflect and meditate on the whys and wherefores of our existence. It is a day to free the spirit. A day where some of us may be able to open a line of communication with the Divine mind and receive guidance to fulfill our purpose, while recognizing and praising His blessings in our lives. It's all good.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/24/13.
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Since the time of Moses, folks had a pretty clear understanding of the exact meaning of Genesis.

It is only since Darwin wrote "Origin of the Species" that the book of Genesis has been considered open for interpretation.

Why, in the course of several thousand years, was no priest bright enough to figure out that Genesis was not written to be read literally?

How did we mere mortals become so intelligent over the last 100 years?

It isn't that we've become "so intelligent".

There is an overlooked significance of the Pentatauch for God's covenant people. The ancient Israelites operated with oral tradition; that is how the Abrahamic Covenant was communicated down through the generations before Moses. When he wrote this stuff down by the command of God that was something that few civilizations/religions had at the time.

God's inspiration of Moses was to inspire a people not with specific, scientifically and factually clear methods of how God did what He has done, but simply to say that He did it. The people who received Genesis 1 were at a level of understanding that necessitated exactly what God gave them. They rallied behind the fact that God did what He did and pronouced it "good".

Looking at the Scripture as a scientific text book is folly. Suggesting that for us to respect Scripture necessitates a 6x24 understanding of Gen 1 is like saying that we have to read the sections of the newspaper exactly the same; I don't read the news in the same way I do the editorial or comics. Does that mean I don't respect the newspaper?

God has given us all we need for faith and salvation and quite frankly I could care less how He created the heavens & earth. I know He did; just as I know He will return "to judge the living and the dead". The details are beyond me and He has left each end of history vague because it is above our paygrade to know specifics.

Rest in that and you'll be practicing a central tenet of all of Scripture; humble servitude to a loving, gracious God.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by headhunter130

Disagree. I am not an evolutionary believer at all, but one MUST recognize the difference between belief in observed tendencies within nature that suggest evolution on the one hand vs. ideological adherence to the evolutionary force of the universe for the purpose of negating the philosophical or systematic "need" for a g/God.

Those are two different things; God could very well have used evolution as His means of creating the world. I have no doubt that, just like speaking the world into existence, is well within His ability.

Quite frankly I could care less and think that this argument distracts from the central truth of Scripture. The more important questions deal with the truth & historicity of Christ and His person and work.

I lump those who navel-gaze on this question into the same boat as those who are always trying to figure out who the anti-Christ is. Each generation seems to have some degree of "certainty" on that question, ignoring the fact that both ends of the Bible are purposely shrouded in mystery. The clarity Scripture-wide... well, it is as Luther said, "Christ on every page".

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Evolution is a hoax, that is one of the simplest things there is to see. What evolution states as fact today, is not a fact tomorrow and whatever evolution states could never happen, turns into an "evolutionary law" the next day. One day the earth is several million years old, the next it is 10's of millions years old and then it is a billion years old.

One of the things that seals the deal for me is irreducible complexity, look it up. Makes a lot of sense.

Why do you think the ships that landed on the moon were designed to have huge "feet" at first. Because, according to evolution, the dust on the moon should have been several feet deep. It is actually inches deep and corrsponds to an age that is in thousands of years. Many more facts that support a young earth.

NRA Benefactor life member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
head, you really really need to realize that evolution says nothing about dust on the moon. Never did, never will. Your whole understanding of evolution is about as messed up as it could possibly be. I highly recommend that you buy an elementary biology text or an introductory book on evolutionary biology. Nothing you have stated is remotely close to reality.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're not a fan of Philip Johnson, William Dembski, Michael Behe, Judith Hooper, etc?

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
I highly recommend that you buy an elementary biology text or an introductory book on evolutionary biology. Nothing you have stated is remotely close to reality.

Writing it in a textbook makes it real? crazy

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by snubbie
I highly recommend that you buy an elementary biology text or an introductory book on evolutionary biology. Nothing you have stated is remotely close to reality.

Not at all. But in the textbook, you will find what it is - and thus you might begin to critically examine it. But to say it is what it is not and therefor it is false, is pointless, doesn't advance your cause, nor illustrate that you know what you are talking about.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Not at all. But in the textbook Bible, you will find what it is - and thus you might begin to critically examine it. But to say it is what it is not and therefor it is false, is pointless, doesn't advance your cause, nor illustrate that you know what you are talking about.

Excellent words of advice, Brent. In the book can be found the facts, theories, suppositions, and findings. Once those things are read, then someone has a basis for supporting or tearing down a particular idea. Until then, folks are just spouting off opinions.

The truth can sometimes be a double-edged sword.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You will not find evolution described in a bible. I'm quite sure of that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Writing in a Bible makes it real? crazy

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Touche'

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best way that I can think-of to get such questions answered is (a) to get Jesus to punch your Heaven ticket � and then, (b) when you get there, to ask Him.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Well yeah, if you recognize it as the word of God.

If not... well this whole discussion would seem ludicrous and not worth the reading much less debate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
How does an infinite mind, which conceives all possibilities and things in a single all encompassing thought, create it in a world of matter? Given that God created everything, He established physics as the law governing how consciousness was interpreted into form through a dynamic process of creative evolution (not Darwinian evolution). The only way an infinite consciousness is able to work in the finite world of matter is through process of sequential creation over time. First we find the creation of matter itself, often described as a Big Bang or rapid inflation, everything needed came about in an instant from a single point, so the event appears to be an explosion. What was created is nothing more than hydrogen, the simplest element. Everything else is created from the natural propensity of hydrogen to respond to the force of gravity, producing stars and in turn stars produce all the other elements needed. God initiated a self-creating universe according to His design. Thus over time, all things came into being over six cosmological periods, in sequential order. We refer to these as days, for the lack of understanding of what God calls them, or how He delineates or orders them.

The primary motif of matter and existence is a circle (or sphere) with a controlling central point. All things are defined by, change or grow, from the center outward. This is true for atoms and cells, solar systems, galaxies and things yet to be discovered. The only life form on Earth is the cell, which comprises tissues, organs and organisms. We are cellular constructs organized to act within the boundaries of God's intended spectrum of consciousness and abilities set for Man. Beyond this, we and everything else, is dependent on energy derived from God's intent and will to exist, otherwise we are nothing. As long as God "dreams", we continue to fulfill His desire, whatever that may be.

We are nothing, we own nothing, not our bodies, nothing. We have no life apart from God's will, and we return to disorganized matter when we die. Our lives have no purpose apart from that which God derives from our experiences, our struggles and society. While the law of physics determine that matter always acts in a predetermined way, Man is able to deviate from self-defined norms of behavior, and to innovate using matter in ways nature could not. This is the Second Order of Creation, driven by psychology, freewill and intelligence, the very things God is observing without interference (although He can and does intervene in individual lives).

What is the meaning of it all? We may hypothesize that God intended to use our lives as a means of investigating what a future creation should contain, one of immortal forms and individual personalities in addition to His own. So, His intent was to include certain personalities from this world into the next. All religions proclaim this as doctrine, because the concept is built into the underlying raison d'etre of existence. He allowed us to struggle, to make errors and to learn that His way brings us happiness and fulfillment, so He gave us forgiveness and redemption for our atonement.

On the seventh day, God rested. His active portion of creation was finished, He became an observer rather than a builder. What He set in motion would automatically bring His plan to fruition. For our part, we too are asked to set aside one day in seven to reflect and meditate on the whys and wherefores of our existence. It is a day to free the spirit. A day where some of us may be able to open a line of communication with the Divine mind and receive guidance to fulfill our purpose, while recognizing and praising His blessings in our lives. It's all good.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Very nice.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it is phenomenal that the human mind/consciousness can entertain two completely different approaches to describing our present condition in time and space, and still not reach a universal conclusion.

the idea or concept of a six day creation event is mind-boggling. the concept of it taking 14, 15 billion years to get to where we are is equally mind boggling. should we just flip a coin, and go from there?

are minority views always in the wrong, and are majority views always in the right?

i'm beginning to suspicion that there's something going here that has yet to be fully defined. ya know?

surely, space aliens had nothing to do with any of this?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.