Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Six days, six thousand years, creationism, evolution, they are all the same thing. Some are just too caught up in the details to see the big picture

It is Friday night and I think you've been drinking and looking for a way to stir the pot for some S & Gs

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask me on a Wednesday or any other day ending in Y. Don't believe in sky daddy. Don't need a book of tales from the sand pople to know that screwing my neighbors wife is not good. That cheating him out of money is not good. That all seems to be pretty self evident if you want people to treat you the way you treat them. The golden rule could sure use some traction, the other crap just falls in line if you have any sort of conscience.

Edit to add, Have had four beers, far from tanked. WTF are S&G's?

Never mind, [bleep]-n-grins, got it.

Last edited by calikooknic; 05/24/13.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"How do you handle "All Scripture is inspired by God and good for correction, reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness..."?

I handle it THIS way :

"Anything good for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness is inspired by God and thus is Scripture".

But I'm funny in that I insist on the Writer being superior to the word.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just sober enough to figure it out I see.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Just sober enough to figure it out I see.

Sober enough to know where the [bleep] comes from.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It all makes more sense that space aliens visited earth about two to four thousand years ago.

Art and pictures in caves and culture that depict the same "gods" and decriptions of "chariots of fire", "birds of fire", loud thunder and light comeing down from the heavens. gods that gave them knowledge, tools, and ideas. This from people that had not seen, talked to, or even had the slightest idea that the other existed two thousand miles away.

This reminds me of Chariots of the gods. An archaeologist, Clifford Wilson, went around the world after Erich von D�niken and refuted his claims in Crash go the chariots.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
calikooknic,

Don't need a book of tales from the sand pople to know that screwing my neighbors wife is not good.

Based on what? With the God of the Bible there is no absolute morality.

The golden rule could sure use some traction, the other crap just falls in line if you have any sort of conscience.

From where did your conscience come? You, in an evolutionary world, are not making any sense.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But I'm funny in that I insist on the Writer being superior to the word.

John 1:1-4, 14

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. "

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
calikooknic,

Don't need a book of tales from the sand pople to know that screwing my neighbors wife is not good.

Based on what? With the God of the Bible there is no absolute morality.

The golden rule could sure use some traction, the other crap just falls in line if you have any sort of conscience.

From where did your conscience come? You, in an evolutionary world, are not making any sense.

"
So, without a book to guide you, YOU or any others can't have morals or a conscience? That seems to make no sense in my world. Not sure where you live. I "absolutely" do not need you or any other to tell me what is pretty damned self evident. Would you like to have your neighbor getting it on with your wife while you were at work or otherwise distracted? Probably not, but hay, some people just "swing" that way.
Ever play the game where some one tells another something and it gets passed from person to person around the room until it comes back to the one that started it? You think two thousand years of stories and fables and witness will be the same as when it was first told? It can't go around a room in ten minutes/ten people and be accurate.
If you believe and follow the bible, good for you. But judging other people based on your short comeings is not exactly christian like to me. Just because you can't live your life the way you would like to is not exclusive to people of faith. We all have problems, regrets, moments of not living up to our own standards.

And that is really all it is, standards by which we live our lives. Little else.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MColeman
Does all our futile speculation alter any of this? We must deal with God's judgment if the final analysis and He offers us a free gift of Redemption if we will only accept it.

Coleman, there will be no Judgement if God does not exist, and no "free" afterlife.

I agree with the "what if" portion but another if to consider is, what if you're wrong? Salvation doesn't cost us anything but Jesus, The Christ, paid a terrible price so that we could be with Him eternally.

A close examination of the human skeleton carefully examining how every bone works in harmony with another tells us that there was a 'design' for lack of a better term. It follows that there was a Designer. Plenty of people simply refuse to believe this....but they're wrong......and you're wrong even though it's not in my power to convince you.

Last edited by MColeman; 05/24/13.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And that is really all it is, standards by which we live our lives. Little else.

When you push your beliefs back as far as you can, what supports them?

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Anytime a people start grouping into a community for mutual protection and support, they invent a moral code.

People are pretty intelligent creatures. It does not take long for a thinking individual to come up with a set of laws which will make living together a lot more peaceable. Basically those rules always boil down to the golden rule. "Do unto other members of your tribe as you would have those other members do unto you. Any person or object not of the tribe is fair game."

Thousands of tribes through history and prehistory had never heard of the God of Abraham, yet those tribes developed moral codes and a system of jurisprudence.

A man alone has no ethics. A man alone is a predator, pure and simple. Morals/ethics come from the community's sense of self preservation, as a means to protect the community from that man alone.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When you push your beliefs back as far as you can, what supports them?

My conscience and self sense of morality does. What about yours? You have so little self control or confidence that you rely on others to keep you in line? Can't come up with any sort of thoughts or logical conclusions without some bible verse?

It's pretty [bleep] simple, treat people the way you would like to be treated. Why can't you get that on your own?

And who in the hell says my beliefs are pushed back? Mine are right up front for you to see or hear. If that is not plain enough for you to understand, I can do little for you. If you wish to keep judgeing me by your beliefs, well, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not looking for any sort of fight on here, I just don't understand people that can not look at the world and come to there own conclusions of right and wrong.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thousands of tribes through history and prehistory had never heard of the God of Abraham, yet those tribes developed moral codes and a system of jurisprudence.

Archaeology shows they made some of the children walk into fire for sacrifice. That's moral for sure.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Anytime a people start grouping into a community for mutual protection and support, they invent a moral code.

People are pretty intelligent creatures. It does not take long for a thinking individual to come up with a set of laws which will make living together a lot more peaceable. Basically those rules always boil down to the golden rule. "Do unto other members of your tribe as you would have those other members do unto you. Any person or object not of the tribe is fair game."

A man alone has no ethics. A man alone is a predator, pure and simple. Morals/ethics come from the community's sense of self preservation, as a means to protect the community from that man alone.

Great reply. Some just can't see the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Last edited by calikooknic; 05/24/13.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Archaeology shows they made some of the children walk into fire for sacrifice. That's moral for sure.

That's not moral, that is moron. They had some other dumbass telling them this is what will please "god".

Sean
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Does all our futile speculation alter any of this? We must deal with God's judgment if the final analysis and He offers us a free gift of Redemption if we will only accept it.

Coleman, there will be no Judgement if God does not exist, and no "free" afterlife.

I agree with the "what if" portion but another if to consider is, what if you're wrong? Salvation doesn't cost us anything but Jesus, The Christ, paid a terrible price so that we could be with Him eternally.

A close examination of the human skeleton carefully examining how every bone works in harmony with another tells us that there was a 'design' for lack of a better term. It follows that there was a Designer. Plenty of people simply refuse to believe this....but they're wrong......and you're wrong even though it's not in my power to convince you.

Coleman. You are a non-believer.
You do not believe in Zeus, Thor, Mythra, Bahai, Scientology, Muhammad, or Brahman, or Joseph Smith. The only difference between you and I is I take it one step further and include the Christian God in my disbelief. What if I'm wrong? What if Your Wrong and the correct answer was the Golden Unicorn Monkey who eats the souls of all non-believers when he dies?

Sorry Coleman, Pascal's wager is not grounded in logic.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

And in the original telling, Abraham may have killed Isaac:
\
Francesca Stavrakopoulou has speculated that it is possible that the story "contains traces of a tradition in which Abraham does sacrifice Isaac.[17] Richard Elliott Friedman has argued that in the original E story Abraham may have carried out the sacrifice of Isaac, but that later repugnance at the idea of a human sacrifice led the redactor of JE to add the lines in which a ram is substituted for Isaac.[18]

Richard Dawkins wrote about the ' binding of Isaac ', " A modern moralist cannot help but wonder how a child could ever recover from such psychological trauma. By the standards of modern morality, this disgraceful story is an example simultaneously of child abuse, bullying in two asymmetrical power relationships, and the first recorded use of the Nuremberg defence: ' I was only obeying orders ' Yet the legend is one of the great foundational myths of all three monotheistic religions."[19]

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/24/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Modern Scientist vs. Bronze age goat herders.....I'll go with the Scientist.

Science text books have not changed in the last fifty years, correct?

Have we learned anything in the last 50 years?

If we make a new scientific discovery tomorrow, should we exclude it from any future text books?

If we should stop science books at an arbitrary point in time, when should we stop history books? Did history stop at the end of Acts, and should we not teach out children about the history of the United States?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And in the original telling, Abraham may have killed Isaac:

We hope so. It could be. Maybe it was. I think so. Possibly. Or we could do what most historians do and unless there is solid outside evidence accept the historical document at face value.

Everyday Hunter
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,856
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.