Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have we learned anything in the last 50 years?

If we make a new scientific discovery tomorrow, should we exclude it from any future text books?

If we should stop science books at an arbitrary point in time, when should we stop history books? Did history stop at the end of Acts, and should we not teach out children about the history of the United States?

You are baiting and switching here. We were discussing science which we both know is moving forward and yet some known opinions are still presented as fact. For example the Phylogeny recapitulates ontogeny.

You switched to U.S. history. But to answer the question about U.S. history, it would be nice if the revisionists were not allow to insert their lies.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
And in the original telling, Abraham may have killed Isaac:

We hope so. It could be. Maybe it was. I think so. Possibly. Or we could do what most historians do and unless there is solid outside evidence accept the historical document at face value.

Obviously you haven't studied any history in the last 50 years.
Take a look at something like "Battlefield detectives" on Gettysberg. It's makes for an interesting re-interpretation of the what happened.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Have we learned anything in the last 50 years?

If we make a new scientific discovery tomorrow, should we exclude it from any future text books?

If we should stop science books at an arbitrary point in time, when should we stop history books? Did history stop at the end of Acts, and should we not teach out children about the history of the United States?

You are baiting and switching here. We were discussing science which we both know is moving forward and yet some known opinions are still presented as fact. For example the Phylogeny recapitulates ontogeny.

You switched to U.S. history. But to answer the question about U.S. history, it would be nice if the revisionists were not allow to insert their lies.

RM, you make some good points. In order for science to succeed we must we willing to reject failed models. The difference between you and I is apply this principle beyond science to include disciplines such as history and theology.

Recapitulation theory is an excellent example of an 1800's idea, like communism, (recapitulation theory published in 1899, communist manifesto published in 1848) that now finds itself of the scrap heap of history.

How about we do the same for this:
Leviticus:
21:17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.
21:18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,
21:19 Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,
21:20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;
21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.
21:22 He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.
21:23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very good point efw. Though I must admit such "esoterica" interests me for contemplation's sake, Christ's redemptive work on the cross is the distillate of it all.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
vel, while i can honestly admit that i've never understood how a "God" can die in order to save a group of civilian humans is beyond me. we're waxing into the mystical or meta-physical pretty quickly.

are we slaves to some God, and have to act accordingly in order to be saved?

whether the Earth was created in six man-day types, or some other numerical explanation, what difference does it make, pray tell. we still breathe air, live in subdivisions, ride the roads in cars that utilize gasoline for fuel, have jobs, and pay our mortages. what possible difference could it make if we were created in 6 days or 15 billion years. tommorrow the Sun will rise, and you'll be celebrating Memorial Day, right?

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by snubbie
Originally Posted by BrentD
I highly recommend that you buy an elementary biology text or an introductory book on evolutionary biology. Nothing you have stated is remotely close to reality.

Writing it in a textbook makes it real? crazy

Writing in a Bible makes it real? crazy

Well yeah, if you recognize it as the word of God.

If not... well this whole discussion would seem ludicrous and not worth the reading much less debate.

Indeed, so I will stop reading. There is just nothing quite like fanaticism. crazy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Leviticus:
21:17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.
21:18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,
21:20 Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;
21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.
21:22 He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.
21:23 Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.

How about you jumping to the New Testament. Christians are free from the Law of Moses.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Leviticus:

How about you jumping to the New Testament. Christians are free from the Law of Moses.

You mean that whole new book, that effectively erases the whole old book?

But if the Bible is perfect, why would you need a New Testament to erase the Old Testament?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/25/13.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

You mean that whole new book, that effectively erases the whole old book?

You quoted something from the Law of Moses.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

But if the Bible is perfect, why would you need a New Testament to erase the Old Testament?

Again you are adding to the conversation that which does not apply. The New Testament introduces God's Gift of His Son, but does not do away with it. In fact the New Testament teaches what was written former times was written for our instruction. It also teaches the Law was a teacher to lead us to Christ. Again Christ is the end of the Law of Moses.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If the Bible is perfect, the Law is perfect.
If the Law if perfect, there is no justification for and end to it.

The New Testament ends the Law, therefore it is not perfect, and the Bible is not perfect, and hence not the will of a perfect God.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The New Testament ends the Law, therefore it is not perfect, and the Bible is not perfect, and hence not the will of a perfect God.

You are starting with a wrong premise. Therefore you conclusion is faulty. You are taking a portion and expanding it to represent the Whole. The Whole Book tells us the Law, a portion, was a teacher to lead us to Christ. You are missing that; or rejecting it. When one accepts the Whole Book one learns Jesus is the end of the Law.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Perfectly wrong logic.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The Whole Book tells us the Law, a portion, was a teacher to lead us to Christ.

No, this is just the justification for erasing over half the Bible.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Do I understand correctly when you read a book you don't follow the story of the book?

The Law is not "over half the Bible". It is introduced in about four books of the Old Testament. The Rest of the Old Testament is history, prophecy, poetry and Jewish proverbs.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Do I understand correctly when you read a book you don't follow the story of the book?

The Law is not "over half the Bible". It is introduced in about four books of the Old Testament. The Rest of the Old Testament is history, prophecy, poetry and Jewish proverbs.

When I read a book by Louis L'Amour or Robert Heinlein, they don't claim to be the perfect word of God, so you comparison is not valid.

A perfect God would not create a law that later had to be repealed.

So for how many years did man live under this flawed law that had to be repealed?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A perfect God would not create a law that later had to be repealed.

So for how many years did man live under this flawed law that had to be repealed?

How do you know what a Perfect God would do? You are a created being with extremely limited mental capacity trying to judge an Infinite Intelligent Being. Your premise is flawed because you are assuming the Book was sorta made as It went along. If you read the last book you will discover Jesus was crucified from the foundation of the world.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Your premise is flawed because you are assuming the Book was sorta made as It went along.

Yea, because it was.

Christianity is a Judaism and the Pagan Mystery religions. We see the borrowing from the myths of Osiris/Dionysus, Adonis, Attis Mithras and other Pagan Mysteries the features savior fables.

Here's one of my favorite pictures. It's a Pagan Amulet dated to (IIRC) 167 BCE.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/25/13.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Law WAS perfect in that it revealed to man his inability to be reconciled to God because of his (man's) sin. This was the Law's primary function. Keeping the Law never "saved" ANYONE it merely pointed man toward Christ the perfect sacrifice who can. The New Testament did not erase the Old, it fulfilled it.

BTW, no one but Christ Himself was ever able to keep the Law completely. Well, He wrote it, that helped. I think we moved off the subject of the 6 days of creation, somehow!

Last edited by Spud; 05/25/13. Reason: afterthought

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ring & Spud, you can not make see what God has blinded.
John 12:40
�He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, Lest they should see with their eyes, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them.�

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Spud
The Law WAS perfect in that it revealed to man his inability to be reconciled to God because of his (man's) sin. This was the Law's primary function. Keeping the Law never "saved" ANYONE it merely pointed man toward Christ the perfect sacrifice who can. The New Testament did not erase the Old, it fulfilled it.

So, an all powerful God, wanted to forgive mankind, and he couldn't just declare "I forgive you", instead he had to torture and murder his own son, to appease himself, so that mankind could be forgiven?

Or, perhaps, the NT story was a creative story justifying the end of Animal Sacrificed, like the story of Abraham and Isaac justified the end to child sacrifice. Each of these stories constituted a huge reduction in costs to their potential member, and would of made each very competitive in it's day.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,476
Posts18,529,590
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.