Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

AS, it was either Samuel Clemens or Abe Lincoln that proffered, "best to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth (or in this case, punch the keyboard) and remove all doubt".

George, that's a nice Ad hominem attack

If you have something relevant to add to he discourse it would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How could there be "evening" and "morning" (as we know it) on the first three days of Creation if God did not create the Sun and Moon til day four?

Easy! Do you think The Being Who created the sun, moon, and stars would have difficulty with evening and morning for three days without the sun, moon, and stars? Did you not read the beginning of the chapter. It informs the reader He created heaven and earth and light on the first day. With the light coming from one direction and the earth turning on its axis we get "evening and morning".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
How could there be "evening" and "morning" (as we know it) on the first three days of Creation if God did not create the Sun and Moon til day four?

Easy! Do you think The Being Who created the sun, moon, and stars would have difficulty with evening and morning for three days without the sun, moon, and stars? Did you not read the beginning of the chapter. It informs the reader He created heaven and earth and light on the first day. With the light coming from one direction and the earth turning on its axis we get "evening and morning".

Shouldn't be any big revelation that "evening" and "morning" (as we know it) is not the same as God knows it to be. Time and measurement of time is an invention of man and means nothing to God. God is outside of time as man knows it to be (the rotation of earth around the sun and earth around its axis). God is outside of his creation and is not bound by time or space.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's that well documented?
Can you give me 10 contemporary, non-Biblical, Roman accounts of it?

You say non-Biblical. Have you discovered something others have not about the scholarship of the New Testament? So you think other writings of the same period are better documented?

It been several years since I read these books. Take a look at the book by a former skeptic: Evidence that demands a verdict and his subsequent work, More evidence that demands a verdict by Josh McDowell. Also a former skeptic Lee Strobel wrote The Case For Christ. I will allow you to do the same reading I did. I used to be an atheistic evolutionist. Facts interrupted my life so I did some reading.

Dr. Kindell says there would be a lot more serious Christians if we had a lot more serious skeptics.

Yes, I say non-biblical so we can break the circularity of the argument. If we have a dozen contemporary Roman sources documenting the event, I can no longer say SEE, IT'S JUST MORE OF THE BIBLE CONFIRMING THE BIBLE. This is the type of evidence that could alter the nature of the discussion. Unfortunately, the two or three independent sources we thought we had, have all turned out to frauds and hoaxes.

If you with to convince a skeptic trained in logic, these are the kind of sources and arguments you will need.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Olaf, here's a quote from Michael Kruger original article "The Sufficiency of Scripture in Apologetics", TMSJ Spring 2001, that you missed:

Every philosophy must use its own standards in proving its conclusions; otherwise it is
simply inconsistent. Those who believe that human reason is the ultimate authority
(�rationalists�) must presuppose the authority of reason in their arguments for
rationalism. Those who presuppose the ultimacy of sense experience must presuppose
that in arguing for their philosophy (�empiricism�). And skeptics must be skeptical of
their own skepticism (a fact which is, of course, the Achilles heel of skepticism). The
point is that when one is arguing for an ultimate criterion . . . one must use criteria
compatible with that conclusion. If that is circularity then everybody is guilty of
circularity.
The words of Bahnsen sum up the need to argue presuppositionally:
The Believer must defend God�s word as the ultimate starting point, the unquestionable
authority, the self-attesting foundation of all thought and commitment. . . . The fact that
the apologist presupposes the word of God in order to carry on a discussion or debate
about the veracity of that word does not nullify his argument, but rather illustrates it.

Notice that big IF in there. He does not say it's circularity, he postulates the question of "what if" that is circularity, and used his IF as an excuse to dismiss all arguments that do not begin and end with the Bible. Overall, his article is just 18 pages of a weak attempt to justify Christian use of one of the weakest forms of argument that exists.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shouldn't be any big revelation that "evening" and "morning" (as we know it) is not the same as God knows it to be. Time and measurement of time is an invention of man and means nothing to God. God is outside of time as man knows it to be (the rotation of earth around the sun and earth around its axis). God is outside of his creation and is not bound by time or space.

God does not have "evening and morning." Time and measurement of time is an invention of man and means nothing to God is ludicrous. You really don't understand. Like you posted God is outside of time. God established "evening and morning" for man. That is the original measurement of time. God didn't set up the sun, moon, and stars for signs and seasons and days and years for Himself. He created them for man's benefit.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
es, I say non-biblical so we can break the circularity of the argument. If we have a dozen contemporary Roman sources documenting the event, I can no longer say SEE, IT'S JUST MORE OF THE BIBLE CONFIRMING THE BIBLE. This is the type of evidence that could alter the nature of the discussion. Unfortunately, the two or three independent sources we thought we had, have all turned out to frauds and hoaxes.

If you with to convince a skeptic trained in logic, these are the kind of sources and arguments you will need.

Maybe you didn't know it before, but Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts were not part of the Bible. They were documents written by eye witnesses in the case of the first three. Luke and Acts were written by someone who, similar to a modern newspaper man or magazine writer interviewed eye witnesses.

The fact that later they were canonized into the New Testament should have noting to do with their credibility as legitimate history.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
When you have everything true, nothing else matters.

There's nothing more logical than that. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

God does not have "evening and morning." Time and measurement of time is an invention of man and means nothing to God is ludicrous. You really don't understand. Like you posted God is outside of time. God established "evening and morning" for man. That is the original measurement of time. God didn't set up the sun, moon, and stars for signs and seasons and days and years for Himself. He created them for man's benefit.

As usual you are thinking outside of yourself, clearly a result of smoking too much wacky weed.

God called the light �day,� and the darkness he called �night.�. There is nothing here that indicates day or night has any meaning relating to time except in mans brain.

2 Peter 3:8....With the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day...

God did not create for man's benefit. All of creation including man was created to glorify and worship a Holy God. You are the one who doesn't understand...read your bible please, in it's entirety, and read it more than once. The concept of God creating for man's benefit is completely outside Christian thinking. You ain't one of them Muzzies are you? Mabe you need a new Bong or something?

Obtw-God is not a He.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 05/26/13.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Another question: what is the significance of God describing days as broken down into "evening and morning"???

We would tend to talk about "morning and evening" of a day. so i am wondering if there is any significance when they are reversed in Genesis?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
God called the light �day,� and the darkness he called �night.�. There is nothing here that indicates day or night has any meaning relating to time except in mans brain.

Except He called it "the first day". Read the Whole phrse.

2 Peter 3:8....With the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as one day...

In literature there is a valuable thing called context. Apostle Peter was referring to God's patience in regard to salvation. This section is often used erroneously to try to confuse the issue of the creation week.

2 Peter 3:8-9

8"But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance."

Here's one to help show God does not have time, we do.

Psalm 90:4

"For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it passes by, Or as a watch in the night. Here's One a more descriptive of God being outside of time."

God did not create for man's benefit. All of creation including man was created to glorify and worship a Holy God.

I agree completely with your second statement here, and take issue with the first.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
. . Here's One a more descriptive of God being outside of time.

God is not outside time.

Time is inside God . . "In him we live and move and have our being."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Your post reminds me I have been listening to lectures by Jason Lisle, Ph.D in astrophysics. I looked him upon the web and was fascinated to see the comments. Some said he was not using science because he starts with the Bible; which is irrefutable. He believes in six day twenty-four hour creation about 6,000 years ago. Of course they are starting from a belief, the refutable position, the Bible is wrong.

The words of Bahnsen sum up the need to argue presuppositionally. He starts with the irrefutable position the Bible is God's Word and is True. Since you start with the refutable position, when pushed it to its ultimate supporting belief, you are the same as the people above.

When one starts with the Bible and is pushed and shoved to his belief, he can demonstrate its reliability. That is not possible with any other world view.

Evidence is not the be all to end all. All of us interpret the evidence based on our world view. For me the fossil record is fantastic support for Noah's Flood. For me carbon 14 in diamonds, coal, oil, and fossils is fantastic conformation of a young earth. Instead of using Oocam's Razor you come up with a rescuing device and invent something to explain these.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
God is not outside time.

Sorry for a poor choice of words. Everything is in God. God is not bound by time; we are. Time was created and we use it.

Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another question: what is the significance of God describing days as broken down into "evening and morning"???

We would tend to talk about "morning and evening" of a day. so i am wondering if there is any significance when they are reversed in Genesis?

As with Passover, the celebration day begins at sunset. It's a Hebrew cultural thing that God described in terms that they would understand.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Every philosophy must use its own standards in proving its conclusions; otherwise it is simply inconsistent. Those who believe that human reason is the ultimate authority (�rationalists�) must presuppose the authority of reason in their arguments for rationalism. Those who presuppose the ultimacy of sense experience must presuppose that in arguing for their philosophy (�empiricism�). And skeptics must be skeptical of their own skepticism (a fact which is, of course, the Achilles heel of skepticism). The
point is that when one is arguing for an ultimate criterion . . . one must use criteria compatible with that conclusion. If that is circularity then everybody is guilty of circularity.

AS, I couldn't agree more with the material above. Our beliefs define our facts, or, as Anselm said, "Credo ut intelligam" � "I believe that I might understand."

Every statement of truth/fact will ultimately retreat to a self-authenticating source of authority which is accepted by faith. In that sense, I see Kruger's article as not a dismissal of all arguments other than the author's own but rather as an explanation of the necessity of epistemological self-consciousness on the part of any position/world-view/philosophy/religion.

All world-views begin with belief, and one's beliefs then define what one accepts as fact.

Not sure where you're coming from, but the subject matter is not new. Here for your amusement is an excerpt from another forum discussion some years back:

The dispute is irresolvable. To an outsider, the scientific materialist looks like a closed-minded fundamentalist dogmatically (even angrily) asserting the sole primacy and validity of his worldview and on a holy mission to destroy anyone who disagrees. To a scientific materialist, all others seem like the dogmatists that have clung to old beliefs and inhibited the progress of mankind since time immemorial. Furthermore, scientists are something like psychopathic serial killers in their single-minded and obsessive need to seek out problems and solve them (and thank God for that). When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, ya know? And they don't take kindly to people telling them that some problems are immutable, unsolvable, non-rational mysteries. It is not only a personal insult but, since most scientists are staunch humanists, it is an insult and challenge issued to mankind from the depths of the universe itself; another defense thrown up as nature attempts to elude its master. Yes, there is something Luciferic in all this. And that's OK, too.

Last edited by Olaf; 05/27/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Plinker

As with Passover, the celebration day begins at sunset. It's a Hebrew cultural thing that God described in terms that they would understand.

Thanks, thats much appreciated..

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
God is not outside time.

Sorry for a poor choice of words. Everything is in God. God is not bound by time; we are. Time was created and we use it.

So if we were created with a physical body and a spiritual body...

Do we have God's spiritual DNA inside us?

Kent

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Gen 1:2-5

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
KJV

In Genesis 1:2 we are told of the Spirit of God surveying a desolate, empty (without form, void) earth in darkness. God called light forth, and light naturally obeyed. The light was the intense radiance of God. He separated the darkness from the light and named the light, day, and the darkness, night.

For the next three days God manifested Himself on the earth in all His Glory and Power to continue His creation and claim and cleanse the earth with the amazing brilliance that Glory and Power yields.

Cleansing was required as the earth was found in certain condition of darkness. The word darkness used in Gen 1:2 means misery, destruction, death, ignorance, sorrow, and wickedness. Certainly, not the way He had created it, in Gen 1:1, but what His plan and purpose had allowed it to become both then and now.

Each day He came into the darkness and it fled from His light, so the evening and the morning is how each day began. The same has been true throughout the ages, that unless you start the day in darkness and retire shortly after it returns, success is unlikely.

On the fourth day, God returned the luminescence to the celestial bodies, because what He would do next, on the fifth day, was create life in living beings.

He would return to the earth to continue His creation, but not as the God of All Glory, Majesty, and Power that He projects on His Throne in Heaven, because no corruptible flesh can behold Him and live. He would return as Lord Jesus, within Whom was life as we are told in John, to complete His creation.

Perhaps, a bit much to chew on for some, but a simple Truth makes a solid foundation.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Do we have God's spiritual DNA inside us?

Interesting question. Who can say for sure, but we are children of God called so by Him who declares Himself our Father. Not only heirs but joint heirs with Christ. Created in His Tripartite image and after His likeness.

Do your children have yours?

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.