Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,138 of 1,842 1 2 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Watched it. Sure got the job done.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess I'm the odd man out here; I always had better luck with the death clutch, but that's what I used the most. You have to find the end of the tunnel and set it there. The trigger has to be set so that it can be set off with the slightest bump. I always covered the hole with grass or alfalfa.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always used the death clutch traps as well, had a dozen and used the heck out of them. I checked traps 3 times a day when I had them, and kept a gallon freezer bag that would fill up with feet by the end of the summer. funny, I never turned them in, but the rumors of bounties were gonna make me rich I just knew it. when my folks moved 10 years ago they found bags of gopher feet in the deep freeze smile ahh those were the days

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brent,
Moles are fairly uncommon up here. We had a few in Andover when I lived there, but I have never seen their evidence in West Central MN. However, pocket gophers are everywhere.

Funny story, I caught a pocket gopher once and my daughter helped me. She was about 3 or 4 at the time. After I pulled the ticked off gopher out of the hole, I reached for my shovel to give it the ceremonial wack on the head. Lauren starts yelling, "No, No Daddy, Don't do it!!". I am thinking oh no, this isnt good. I dont want my daughter growing up to be like that. How am I gonna handle this now? I put down the shovel and she picks up here little pink shovel and says, "Let me do it!" and proceeds to beat the living hell out of that gopher!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both my girls were right there last night when I was setting traps. The oldest asked if she could shoot it if the trap didn't kill it. Gotta love kids!!!

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
---hacked---

grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It looks as though I am at the mercy of a young human that is logged in on my home PC under my user account.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Shouldn't he be at school? grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Shouldn't he be at school? grin

See Remote Desktop under your Accessories folder?
smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea�. Wood stove� It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers� I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Seems everyone has had a busy weekend . Hate to see this thread go 3 days without a post whistle

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Your right, sure has been quiet.

Watched the grand daughter run in a 5K mud run on Saturday. She did manage to get muddy.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh it's been busy with work on the road runner, yard work, local graduation parties...

Wet sanding and buffing the sides on the plymouth.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dang that car is looking good Dave! I picked up my camper this weekend, she's a 79 trailblazer. old but sound.

for those counting it's just 4 months til archery deer season and rifle antelope opener!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
looking good dave.

Yep, busy weekend. Work and a quick get-a-way to hayward for a night to visit family. Back at 'er today.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm working in the SD office today. Spent Thursday night through Sunday at Lake Sharp near Fort Thompson, SD for a company fishing tourney. It was windy, cold and wet but fun!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
While Dave was putting paint on steel, I was trying to take it off down in Missouri.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What were you shooting Brent; rifle, pistol or muzzle loader.

Cool picture BTW.

Need to redo the garage roof this month. Spent the morning out shopping for shingles.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was shooting a .45-70 custom highwall. Blackpowder and paper patched bullets. Like most guys, I was using ironsights (Soule style tang sights and front aperture). There was also a scope class and a smaller number of guys were in that group. These are externally adjustable, non-click scopes such as Malcomb styled scopes.

It is a great game. The Nationals are coming up in about a month in Raton.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What distances are the targets at for black power and what weigh bullet are you shooting?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
GB, the targets are at standard NRA highpower silhouette distances Rams-500 meters or about 565 yds, Turkeys are 385 meters, Pigs 300 meters, and Chickens (not in the photo) at 200 meters. At this particular range, the distance are off a little bit because of issues caused by topography.

The rams are far enough away that I can pull the trigger and then look up or roll into the scope and for an instant, fear that I missed, only to see the ram slowly topple over. It is the greatest feeling - when you hit'em.

I was using 82 grs of Swiss 1.5fg and a 514 gr paper patched bullet of my own design.

Here is a poor picture of what the ammo looks like.
[Linked Image]

Page 1,138 of 1,842 1 2 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.